A place for complete-off-topic conversations that have nothing to do with Star Trek. The rules still apply here, stay civil.
  • 611 posts
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
I'm surprised to realize that I'm talking about little else IRL these days, yet there's no thread about the novel coronavirus here.

Without getting into politics & general Quark's Bar territory... how y'all doing? I know we have playgroups in some of the hardest-hit U.S. areas (Seattle especially! you okay?).

Fortunately, no Italian or Chinese playgroups.

Locally, we're at 5 cases in Minnesota -- up from 3 this morning, so that doesn't bode well, although still no community spread. Our flagship state school, the U of M, has just announced classes are suspended and going fully online after an "extended" spring break. I work at a college, and rumors have been flying for days that we would be doing the same thing, but we were all kinda waiting to see what the U of M would do. Now I suspect the dominoes will fall very fast.

Definitely looking forward to playing more online in the coming weeks! :)

By monty42 (Benjamin Liebich)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
2E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
Chancellor
2E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E German National Champion 2022

By Marquetry
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
We're overall doing okay... Michael is working from home (I have been for years). Going outside a bit less, although I've never exactly been a social butterfly.

I'm worried and anxious though, more about our government overreacting (like what our damn governor did today) than the illness itself. If people want to postpone travel or stay inside voluntarily, that's their choice... but the idea of the government preventing citizens from doing anything? That's f#*!?;?# terrifying.

So I'm going between significant anxiety, anger, and "f# it all" .

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Chancellor
There's 1.567 confirmed cases in Germany. 3 confirmed deaths. All elderly.

I couldn't care less. There's 82 million people here. That's 0,001% infected people and a death rate of 0,000003%

The media hysteria is pissing the fuck out of me though.

By Maelwys (Chris Lobban)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
19 cases in Oregon so far, and it's affected daily life very little. I tend to completely ignore the news reports about it (because of the media hysteria, as monty mentioned) and instead focus on the actual facts. The Superintendent of the State Police is on the Governor's "small council" for emergency management, and is getting daily briefings from the Oregon Health Authority. He passes summaries of that on to us (I work for the State Police), so I'm getting the raw information from as close to the source as I can, and just processing that myself without the filer of hysterical media personalities trying to scare people into watching their shows.
 -  
Community Contributor
monty42 wrote:There's 1.567 confirmed cases in Germany. 3 confirmed deaths. All elderly.

I couldn't care less. There's 82 million people here. That's 0,001% infected people and a death rate of 0,000003%
You ever heard the one about the lily pads?

You have a pond of a certain size, and upon that pond, a single lilypad. This particular species of lily pad reproduces once a day, so that on day two, you have two lily pads. On day three, you have four, and so on.

Now the teaser. “If it takes the lily pads 48 days to cover the pond completely, how long will it take for the pond to be covered halfway?”

The answer is 47 days.

Moreover, at day 40, you’ll barely know the lily pads are there.

Glad you're all safe, and working from home where you can, especially you Washingtonians!
Online OP Coordinator
By pfti (Jon Carter)
 - Online OP Coordinator
 -  
2E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
Michigan has offically shut down as an in person provider of education for a few weeks. See yall online

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Chancellor
That's a nice statistical example but it's not very relevant to the situatuion since the pond doesn't fight the lily pads. Even if it did, there's a lot more variables involved here.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
5 cases in South Dakota now.

Irony: I'm home today with the flu....and no it's not covid. Im not running a fever.
 -  
Community Contributor
BCSWowbagger wrote: You have a pond of a certain size, and upon that pond, a single lilypad. This particular species of lily pad reproduces once a day, so that on day two, you have two lily pads. On day three, you have four, and so on.

Now the teaser. “If it takes the lily pads 48 days to cover the pond completely, how long will it take for the pond to be covered halfway?”

The answer is 47 days.
Mind, that assumes that every lily pad has space to breed. At some point there's just not enough space/people around to expand at full rate. (Either by quarantine/isolation or because you were the last one in the neighborhood to get it.)

Ironically, I usually work from home, but had to go into the office today. :/
 -  
Community Contributor
AllenGould wrote:Mind, that assumes that every lily pad has space to breed. At some point there's just not enough space/people around to expand at full rate. (Either by quarantine/isolation or because you were the last one in the neighborhood to get it.)
Yep, eventually you reach carrying capacity. But it illustrates how a low case count today doesn't mean much. Whatever the carrying capacity for covid-19 is, it's too high for our hospital systems to bear.

For example, if Germany continues to see infection spread at the rates seen in Italy, they should have 11,500 cases in a week, 85,000 in two weeks, and 4.6 million in four weeks.

This curve can be bent downward to a safer level -- China proved that -- but, at least in China, it required some pretty extreme measures.

In related news, it looks like the NCAA March Madness tournament is still going to be played -- but without fans allowed in the stadiums.

Hope you're feeling better soon, hoss.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
The NBA has suspended their season after tonight's games after a Utah Jazz player tested positive.
Question for noob

I still think I'm misunderstanding TMW. By saying […]

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]

Hey all, we are running a "Warum-up" fo[…]