A place for complete-off-topic conversations that have nothing to do with Star Trek. The rules still apply here, stay civil.
Ambassador
By bosskamiura (Thomas Kamiura)
 - Ambassador
 -  
Community Contributor
In discussions regarding the possible location of high level events, how do you define “the west” in the US?

Where does it start for you, and where does it end?

TK

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
I'd say there's 3 "zones" in the US where a high level event could occur:

"East Coast" - Basically anywhere in the Eastern Time zone. Most realistic venues are on or close to, the actual east coast at this point (Boston, NYC, DC, Atlanta, Florida, Maybe NC if Nathan and Scott are feeling feisty)

"Midwest" - Basically anywhere in the Central Time Zone, or close to it. I'm thinking MN, SD, Chicago, Indianapolis, OH, TX, etc.

"The West" - I think this is where you're going with this question, and it's basically the West Coast playgroups: Seattle, Bay area, San Diego, Maybe BC if you're not limiting it strictly to the US).

I think that covers most of the plausible locations for a high level event, so if you want one in "The West" then host it yourself, or get MVB, Richard New, or Dan/Rogue/Johnny to put the pieces together.

Does that help?
Ambassador
 - Ambassador
 -  
Community Contributor
I have no interest in hosting a high level event. I was just curious what the consensus definition was is all.

TK

By Spectre9
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
As somebody from outside of the USA I've always thought of West as everything West of the start of the Rockies just west of Denver.

Perhaps it could be defined as just the states that actually have a west coast but maybe those states are "West Coast" rather than just "West".

By Naetor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Doesn't really matter since the 3 west coast play regions aren't in driving distance from one another. It's about the same for me to get to Seattle as it is to get to Florida.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
The West = left of the Dakotas, all the way to the Pacific Coast.

Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, and New Mexico are all Western states. (New Mexico is also Southwestern, if you believe in that region.) Kansas and Nebraska are Midwestern. Oklahoma and Texas are Southern.

Alaska and Hawaii are not Western states. They transcend the West.

Ambassador
 - Ambassador
 -  
Community Contributor
@BCSWowbagger,
Do you consider Minnesota "The West"?

TK
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
No, we're Midwest.

Everything that borders Iowa is Midwest. (Iowa being the archetypical Midwestern state.) After that it gets debatable (PA as a Midwestern state is sheer lunacy) -- although I personally consider Michigan, Indiana, and Ohio to be Midwest as well.

By Maelwys (Chris Lobban)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
BCSWowbagger wrote:No, we're Midwest.

Everything that borders Iowa is Midwest. (Iowa being the archetypical Midwestern state.) After that it gets debatable (PA as a Midwestern state is sheer lunacy) -- although I personally consider Michigan, Indiana, and Ohio to be Midwest as well.
I think Michigan, Indiana, and Ohio are more Mideast.
Why isn't Mideast a thing? :-p

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
Maelwys wrote:Why isn't Mideast a thing? :-p
I always thought that it was that the Midwest was the middle of the Western Hemisphere, whereas the Middle East is the middle of the Eastern Hemisphere.
Is Sedis a captain?

He's already a [Univ] fucking skill hoss (tm)... […]

I don't! Game ain't fun, IMO! But, you're rig[…]

Alpha Argratha

If I have Alpha 5 Approach plus Argratha as […]

Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during […]