A place for complete-off-topic conversations that have nothing to do with Star Trek. The rules still apply here, stay civil.

By Dukat (Andreas Rheinländer)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
1E German National Runner-Up 2024
The time span for filing taxes have been expanded. Many people use different tax file programs. Some of them SUGGESTS to be free, but in the end, aren't. However, a lot of the programs available have ACTUALLY free version.

You can find the websites (which are NOT listed by Google anywhere within the first few pages) here:
https://www.turbotaxsucksass.com/

There you can also find the actual free version of turbo tax.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
I have been using CreditKarma.com for taxes for a few years. They are free and make their money by using your tax data to recommend "tailored" credit cards and loan services to you.

I've decided I'm okay with this if I must use a filing service (and I have done so for the past three years). However, my tax situation has stabilized enough in the past couple of years that I think next year I will return to my old technique: filling out the tax forms and filing them myself.

Honestly, I don't understand my more people don't do paper filing. It's simple, it's free, and it is very often more straightforward than paying someone (or paying software, or giving away your data to a tech firm) to figure out your taxes for you. You end up having to gather and fill out all the same information, but without the extra layer of "software trying to dumb it down for you and accidentally making serious mistakes." The only hard part in the Year of Our Lord Twenty Twenty is actually printing and mailing it when you're done.

Free your minds! File your own taxes! See for yourself what the tax man taketh!

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
On the other hand, tax software can catch a lot of small things that paper filers might not that could increase your refund/decrease your amount owing (and possibly avoid an audit).

I think there was a plan by the IRS a few years ago to roll out their own free filing software but tax software companies convinced the IRS to drop it in exchange for making simplified free versions available.
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
I've been doing my own personal and business taxes for years now. If you're not doing a bunch of complicated financial stuff in your life, it's really pretty simple just to fill out a few boxes and follow the "choose your own adventure" steps of the forms. And the forms themselves change very little from year to year, so if your circumstances don't change much, you can pretty much just use the previous year as the template of what all you need to fill in. Take your filing from whatever service you paid last year and use it this year to do it yourself for free.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
I think there was a plan by the IRS a few years ago to roll out their own free filing software but tax software companies convinced the IRS to drop it in exchange for making simplified free versions available.
This is true.
nobthehobbit wrote:On the other hand, tax software can catch a lot of small things that paper filers might not that could increase your refund/decrease your amount owing (and possibly avoid an audit).
While I would believe this for large returns -- maybe for people with complex stock portfolios or who still itemize despite the massive increase in the standard deduction -- I don't think it's true for most filers. H&R Block wants you to believe it's true, because that's how they sell it, but the filthy little secret of the American tax code is that it's not that complicated for the average Joe.

1. Add up your income. (Are you employed? Great. Take the numbers on your W-2's and add them up. The IRS tells you which numbers matter. Schedule 1 tells you whether you have any special adjustments -- and you probably don't!)

2. Deduct the standard deduction. (It's a rare bird indeed who has any use for itemizing after the Trump tax cuts, which, for all their flaws, really did simplify the tax system for average people.)

3. Apply credits. (The IRS has a helpful document telling you about them.)

4. Compute tax. (This is literally just a big table where you look up your income and it tells you what you owe.)

5. Find out how much you've already paid in tax. (Refer to your W-2's for withholding information.)

6. Subtract 5 from 4 to compute your refund.

7. Print, sign, and mail.

Pretty much everything the average American will ever need to know about is here: https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-1040

(And the great majority of Americans only need to know a tiny fraction of even that!)

I actually much more often find that my tax software misses important deductions, especially at the state level. The State of Minnesota offers a special annual refund called the Homestead Credit, where you get a substantial tax credit for living in a home you own while not being super rich. (There's a version for living in a home you rent as well, but it's far less generous and yes this is an example of middle-class tax subsidies at the expense of the poor but that's a Quark's Bar thread.) The size of the credit is based on property taxes paid.

And when I say substantial I mean substantial. As a Firmly Middle-Class Household, my total federal income tax last year added up to just under $1000. My total state income tax was $1700. My Social Security and Medicare taxes added up to about $5500.

...and the Homestead Credit program sent me a check for $1,540, just for owning a house. This effectively cancelled my state income tax.

Neither H&R Block's software nor Credit Karma's have ever found this credit for me. (Maybe a tax preparer would have; I've never tried using one.) I discovered it by filing my taxes on paper and reading the state's own documentation, which told me to go check out Form M1PR and see whether I was eligible. I file it every year, right after my filing software once again disappoints me by missing the program.
I've been doing my own personal and business taxes for years now. If you're not doing a bunch of complicated financial stuff in your life, it's really pretty simple just to fill out a few boxes and follow the "choose your own adventure" steps of the forms. And the forms themselves change very little from year to year, so if your circumstances don't change much, you can pretty much just use the previous year as the template of what all you need to fill in. Take your filing from whatever service you paid last year and use it this year to do it yourself for free.
This is exactly the way to do it. If you've ever had your taxes prepared before (by a preparer or by software), you should have a copy of the "prepared" tax filings around. Just grab them and use them as a template. They show you exactly how to file your specific personal taxes, in a way more individualized than any documentation ever could be. It changes very little year-to-year, so, unless your financial situation changes quite a bit, you'll mostly just be plugging slightly different numbers into the same fields.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
We had a rental property for awhile (our condo we could sell for a two-piece and a biscuit after the financial crisis), so we got an accountant for taxes. The condo is now gone, but we're never going back to doing my taxes ourselves. He finds so much stuff that it's worth the money to go to him every year.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
I am happy to pay the (relatively) small fee to avoid having the stress of doing them myself. But I think it's equally valid to value one's money more than one's time.

-crp
Online CM RELEASE TOURNAMENT

Congrats to Mugato for going 4-0 in the tournament[…]

Jared Hoffman FW Mathew McCalpin 100-12

Card of the Day: Dumb Waiter

Does Dumb Waiter still work if you don't comma[…]

I just booked my flight for Thursday afternoon arr[…]