A place for complete-off-topic conversations that have nothing to do with Star Trek. The rules still apply here, stay civil.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
commdecker wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:32 pm I voted by mail dropbox weeks ago. Tomorrow I'm a poll worker.
Thank you for your service.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
AllenGould wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:38 pm
commdecker wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:32 pm I voted by mail dropbox weeks ago. Tomorrow I'm a poll worker.
Thank you for your service.
+1

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Got there at 0930, voted at 1130, home by noon. Civic duty done, mission accomplished. 8)

I think that may have been the longest I've ever waited to vote, but it was nice weather and the people around us were friendly to talk to, so it didn't feel like a 2 hour wait.
Attachments:
Vote2020.jpg
Vote2020.jpg (125.74 KiB) Viewed 3241 times
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
My husband wandered over to our polling place this morning to see if there was a line - nada. It looks like a lot of people did their voting early like we did.

Also, I polled my students this morning - we had 100% voter participation for the two people in attendance besides myself*.

*Usually I have 8-10 students on any given Tuesday morning. Election Day is a state holiday, so we were technically closed for the day. I told students I would run a lecture, but would record it as usual and wouldn't be offended if no one came.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
I saw a note that expected turnout is going to beat the previous record by about five percentage points.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
jadziadax8 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:55 am
princedetenebres wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:04 am Though it did take twice as long as usual to vote in person, as I had to make 4 whole ticks this time, with the Euthanasia & Cannabis legalisation referendums in addition to the general election here.
The judicial retention votes took the longest for me. I needed to consult the Bar Association cheat sheet to do that one.

Oh the California ballot can be quite lengthy too, but I was cheekily referring to the recent New Zealand election, where ordinarily you have two ticks to make and that's it in national election, 1 for your local rep. for your constituency, and 1 for your party vote for MMP calculations.

If only the US would adopt some version thereof, or some manner of proportional representation, sure would make voting feel far more consequential. Other than out of a sense of civic obligation, I'm not sure it's a particularly rational way to spend my time, even if my goal is to influence the outcome. The time spent researching the ballot measures, voting, finding an effing fax machine somewhere and getting it in probably would be better spent phonebanking to swing states in terms of impact on the outcome.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation