A place for complete-off-topic conversations that have nothing to do with Star Trek. The rules still apply here, stay civil.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
I could have sworn there was a thread on this, but I couldn't find it.

Beyond Trek CCG collecting, what are your other nerd hobbies?

I'm really big into Disney pins, although not so much on the side of getting expensive authentic ones from the shops but doing Pin Trading when I visit the parks. It really is cool trying to find hidden treasures, and a few of them have neat stories behind them.

If there's any interest in seeing my Pin Collection, I made a Reddit post on it here: https://www.reddit.com/r/DisneyPins/com ... here_this/
Ambassador
 - Ambassador
 -  
I have a WhatsApp group with some people I used to live with where we arrange boardgames online with what seems like shocking frequency. We used to all play DotA together. Nowadays get Terra Mystica or another decently complex board game going 2-3 times a week.

Wouldn't have happened if we hadn't all been locked in our houses.

By Jesseon (Jesse Warburton)
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Besides Trek and lurking on forums, I also collect other board and video games, and I also like to use fountain pens.

My wife collects Funko Pops so our house has a bunch of those too.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
Boffo97 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:53 am I could have sworn there was a thread on this, but I couldn't find it.
We have a similar thread that I started on non-nerd hobbies. However, when I try to search for that one, I can't find it. I think it's because the forum doesn't appear to search the buzz for some reason. Like, when you do the advanced search and try to search a forum, the buzz is not an available option.
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
1E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
jadziadax8 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:04 am
Boffo97 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:53 am I could have sworn there was a thread on this, but I couldn't find it.
We have a similar thread that I started on non-nerd hobbies. However, when I try to search for that one, I can't find it. I think it's because the forum doesn't appear to search the buzz for some reason. Like, when you do the advanced search and try to search a forum, the buzz is not an available option.
That's weird. I just set it as searchable. But it will probably take a while for it to index the past threads.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Boffo97 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:53 am Beyond Trek CCG collecting, what are your other nerd hobbies?
Gaming in general is a big thing for our house - video games, board games, card games.

Also have a fairly small but growing comic book collection. (Growing because I hate throwing stuff out, but even over 20 years it's only a couple boxes.)

The kid and I started properly dabbling in Arduino this year - just finished making a custom controller for their drum game. (Maggie - thank you for the tip re: hot glue - that worked a treat!)
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
AllenGould wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:50 pm The kid and I started properly dabbling in Arduino this year - just finished making a custom controller for their drum game. (Maggie - thank you for the tip re: hot glue - that worked a treat!)
:cheersL: :cheersR:

By Se7enofMine (ChadC)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
In no order of preference (and using a very loose definition of nerd):

- D&D
- VS System 2pcg card game
- video games (PS4 - RDR, NHL, Uncharted; Mobile - Marvel Strike Force)
- movies in general but the Marvel movies just make me smile with glee every single time
- reading (a lot of sci fi but also enjoy historical fiction and spy genres)

I suppose less nerdy but hobbies nonetheless:

- exercise (gym or cycling)
- playing and watching hockey
- snowboarding
- snowmobiling
- woodworking projects
- tinkering on engines (be it car or smaller 2 or 4 stroke)

Of course, all of everything above has been VERY hit or miss due to covid.

:)
Second Edition Design Manager
By The Guardian (Richard New)
 - Second Edition Design Manager
 -  
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
LEGO, Movies, Table top, Movies, Rubik's Cubes, Movies.

On Tuesdays I have a regular writing night where I practice writing scripts. I've participated in a few 48-hour film projects and a couple script contests for practice. I'll watch pretty much anything.

Lately, my 5-year-old son has gotten into chess and Mario Bros., so I know he's related to me...

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
My kind of topic. :thumbsup:
The Guardian wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:19 pmso I know he's related to me...
:lol: That's a relief, I imagine.
jadziadax8 wrote:
Boffo97 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:53 amI could have sworn there was a thread on this, but I couldn't find it.
I collected links to these kinds of threads -- including the aforementioned one! 8) -- via my old introductory post.

I hold -- like many here -- that all hobbies can become Nerd Hobbies. (And will; especially for people who, e.g., play STCCG.) It depends on how deep you want to delve...
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
SudenKapala wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:16 am I hold -- like many here -- that all hobbies can become Nerd Hobbies. (And will; especially for people who, e.g., play STCCG.) It depends on how deep you want to delve...
The line between fantasy football and D&D is quite fine... ;)

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
The boys and I play DnD, magic, pokemon tcg and I just taught them Legend of the 5 Rings. My kids and my wife play Munchkin with me. We just got Munchkin Ducktails and I taught my 4 year old how to Munchkin.

My wife says if I promise not to make it too complicated she will play dnd with us boys.

I also attempted to join the Honor Harrington Fanclub (TRMN, I quit being a mod here to take a leadership position in the North Ohio chapter, but life and work killed that one)

I own a late 90s x-men comic collection, but we stopped collecting when they ended X-force, Excalibur, generation x, and x-factor one after the other.

My daughter collects My Little Pony CCG, and I have learned to play it but she hasn't had the patience to learn the rules.

My oldest has played Yu-Gi-Oh with me, with decks made when I was young. But I can't claim Hobbie level intrest there.

By geraldkw
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Indie Roleplaying Games (also DND sometimes, including currently) all online through Discord and/or Roll20.

Board games, I have about 200 games and I play more on Tabletop Simulator, BoardGameArena, etc. Some of my favorite games are: 7 Wonders, Castles of Burgandy, Viticulture, Twilight Struggle, Keyflower, Euphoria, and Eminent Domain. Check out my boardgamegeek profile: https://boardgamegeek.com/user/geraldkw

Other old school collectible games, especially ones with a modern development process. Star Wars Destiny is something I have collected (slowly) and the game went out of production while I was collecting so now I am picking up the stuff that has gotten cheaper. Also I have recently found the Star Wars Trading Card Game which is a different game from both the Decipher SW game and also Star Wars: The Card Game by Fantasy Flight Games. That game has a similar amount of fan created content than the CC, and I am interested to delve into that game.

I also play a lot of video games, mostly retro games and indie games, primarily on Nintendo Systems or PC.

Edit: I also play Magic on Arena or Commander IRL(outside of pandemics). I am getting a setup to play Commander online with paper cards and a camera through Spelltable and the Play EDH Discord Server which has games going on 24/7.

I have too many hobbies.
Card Page Glitches

So, it's seeming on some sets that the cards on th[…]

Question for noob

Awesome. Thanks everyone for all the help!

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]