A place for complete-off-topic conversations that have nothing to do with Star Trek. The rules still apply here, stay civil.
Ambassador
By Comicbookhero (Michael Moskop)
 - Ambassador
 -  
Due to the pandemic and how easy they make it to play on Magic Arena, I have gotten back into Magic recently after 11 years away. 7th Edition was the last time I really played and obviously a lot has changed, but they really have improved most aspects of the game and I love the Commander format. I have been buying paper Magic as well. I admit they really pulled me back in.

With that said, let me answer your questions. Aside from Jeweled Lotus (which would be a conversation all on its own), I think Commander Legends is a truly amazing set. There is just so much packed into one set that I can totally believe that it did take them 6 years to actually get this set printed and out to the public. I am actually watching the Loading Ready Run "Pre-Prerelease" on Youtube (it is 10 hours so I am watching it in parts ;)) and it makes me desperately want to draft this set, but I will just be glad cracking packs. I was actually working on a Pirate deck before the set starting getting spoiled, but now I really need to get working on it before Pirate cards really start to get expensive!

As for Zendikar Rising, I like the set. It obviously had some missteps in power creep, but as a whole, it is fun to play. The most interesting thing to me is the "party" mechanic, but it seems like they are just testing the waters for it. It will obviously be a part of the D&D expansion coming next year. I was also a big fan of the modal lands as well. Clever design with excellent art makes for good cards.

EDIT: I just realized I should throw my Arena handle out there in case anyone wants to be my friend. I am TikiTrekkie#67197.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Dukat wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:41 pm Which missteps do you mean?
They've been on a bit of skid for a few sets, although I'd put having to errata an entire *mechanic* (companion in Ikoria) as a particular low point. (And even then some of those cards are still banned, because they forgot that Commander existed as a format.)
Director of Communications
By OKCoyote (Daniel Matteson)
 - Director of Communications
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
I play Magic Arena almost nightly.

I don't play paper Magic much any more. I don't play competitvely at all. I have a cube built, and I've got some packs of War of the Spark and Mystery Booster lying around that I'd like to finish drafting, but I don't have friends that play any more. For that reason, as much as I want to, I probably won't buy Commander Legends.

Also, echoing Michael's love of LoadingReadyRun! I've been watching the PPR as well, but it's been pause the last few days while I watch their Desert Bus for Hope charity stream (or at least, let play in the background when I'm on the computer).
 -  
Community Contributor
OKCoyote wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:57 pm I don't play competitvely at all. I have a cube built, and I've got some packs of War of the Spark and Mystery Booster lying around that I'd like to finish drafting, but I don't have friends that play any more. For that reason, as much as I want to, I probably won't buy Commander Legends.
"Competitive" Magic is just too rich for my blood. I can see the appeal, but I just don't have the free cash to stay on that treadmill. (Plus the obvious "no-one is hosting tabletop events" issue). I've got some Conspiracy2 and.. can't remember the other stash of sealed for another draft one day. Debating Legends.. but the sad fact is that Magic is a game where buying packs is the *wrong* move unless you're drafting. Which just... kinda sucks.
Also, echoing Michael's love of LoadingReadyRun! I've been watching the PPR as well, but it's been pause the last few days while I watch their Desert Bus for Hope charity stream (or at least, let play in the background when I'm on the computer).
:thumbsup: - it's a bit weirder than usual this year (what with the social distancing), but LRR has really done a bang-up job working around it. Stoopid work computer blocks Twitch though, so I'm gonna have to catch up on the VODs.
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
AllenGould wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:50 pm
OKCoyote wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:57 pm Also, echoing Michael's love of LoadingReadyRun! I've been watching the PPR as well, but it's been pause the last few days while I watch their Desert Bus for Hope charity stream (or at least, let play in the background when I'm on the computer).
:thumbsup: - it's a bit weirder than usual this year (what with the social distancing), but LRR has really done a bang-up job working around it. Stoopid work computer blocks Twitch though, so I'm gonna have to catch up on the VODs.
I thought LRR's Graham Stark did a great job as the host of Penny Arcade's Strip Search, one of the few pieces of reality programming I've found palatable over the years.
 -  
Community Contributor
edgeofhearing wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:41 pm I thought LRR's Graham Stark did a great job as the host of Penny Arcade's Strip Search, one of the few pieces of reality programming I've found palatable over the years.
If you liked that, I'd check out Road Quest, which was their take on a road-trip show.

(To keep this vaguely Trek-related: Graham was apparently a 1E player back in the day - every so often someone sends in an old pack and he at least recognizes it.)
Ambassador
By Comicbookhero (Michael Moskop)
 - Ambassador
 -  
I meant to respond a LONG time ago, but apparently, my response went to drafts and did not post. So, I will just scrap it and try again.
Dukat wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:41 pm Which missteps do you mean?
The missteps I meant were the playtesting oversights when it came to Omnath being WAY too powerful and Scute Swarm's interaction with the new Mutate mechanic. Both of those should have been caught before players got their hands on the cards and questioned. I also think the balance is a little off in that Blue did not get near as much as the other colors.
 -  
Community Contributor
Comicbookhero wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:04 pm I also think the balance is a little off in that Blue did not get near as much as the other colors.
Blue has been over the curve for ages, though. Blue gets the good card draw. Blue gets the good counterspells. Blue gets the good bounce. Blue gets fliers and other evasive creatures. The only thing blue doesn't get is good ramp, which is why Simic (Blue+Green) keeps breaking formats.

Meanwhile poor White gets bad versions of things other colors do better.

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
AllenGould wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:41 pm
Comicbookhero wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:04 pm I also think the balance is a little off in that Blue did not get near as much as the other colors.
Blue has been over the curve for ages, though. Blue gets the good card draw. Blue gets the good counterspells. Blue gets the good bounce. Blue gets fliers and other evasive creatures. The only thing blue doesn't get is good ramp, which is why Simic (Blue+Green) keeps breaking formats.

Meanwhile poor White gets bad versions of things other colors do better.
Blue doesn't get hard removal. If Blue can't stop something from resolving, it's got to take a two-for-one to deal with it.

White gets to answer a lot more than what other colours do, but its answers (generally, are supposed to) come with answers. Other colours can do it better but White gets more versatility.
 -  
Community Contributor
nobthehobbit wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:30 pm Blue doesn't get hard removal. If Blue can't stop something from resolving, it's got to take a two-for-one to deal with it.
That's not as true as it used to be - they don't get *great* removal, but they do get some. And they get plenty of mass bounce. And when you *also* get the best card draw and card fetch... the odd two-for-one isn't terrible. ;)
White gets to answer a lot more than what other colours do, but its answers (generally, are supposed to) come with answers. Other colours can do it better but White gets more versatility.
We can call it versatility, but the problem is that anything white wants to do, other colors get better. Small creatures are outperformed by red. Big creatures are outperformed by green. Destruction is better done by black. Even white's "we set rules" ability - that it supposed to be what white is *good* at - often gets given to blue instead For Reasons.

By Pazuzu
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
MaRo said they will carefully tune the power of the colours. Good example is Skyclave Apparition. I think it also depends on the format. For Modern and Legacy there have been some great additions for White decks, but MaRo also talked about Commander and some inherent problems with the format and colour pie. I have no idea about Standard and Historic.
 -  
Community Contributor
Pazuzu wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:16 am MaRo said they will carefully tune the power of the colours.
I like MaRo as much as the next guy (I think he's done great work on making it normal for game devs to explain thought processes and not treat design like some scary black box), but... MaRo also says a lot of things. :shifty:
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation