A place for complete-off-topic conversations that have nothing to do with Star Trek. The rules still apply here, stay civil.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Until they pay Alan Dean Foster his back royalties, nothing in those announcements interests me.

(For folks who haven't heard - Alan Dean Foster wrote a ton of the SW fiction and adaptations, and Disney's legal opinion is that when they bought Lucasfilms they bought the rights to all his books but not the obligation to pay him the royalties earned from selling those books.)

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
AllenGould wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:30 am Until they pay Alan Dean Foster his back royalties, nothing in those announcements interests me.

(For folks who haven't heard - Alan Dean Foster wrote a ton of the SW fiction and adaptations, and Disney's legal opinion is that when they bought Lucasfilms they bought the rights to all his books but not the obligation to pay him the royalties earned from selling those books.)
Plus, Disney now owns the Alien franchise through their purchase of Fox and are doing the same thing regarding Foster's novelizations of the first three movies.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Boffo97 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:41 am
AllenGould wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:30 am (For folks who haven't heard - Alan Dean Foster wrote a ton of the SW fiction and adaptations, and Disney's legal opinion is that when they bought Lucasfilms they bought the rights to all his books but not the obligation to pay him the royalties earned from selling those books.)
Plus, Disney now owns the Alien franchise through their purchase of Fox and are doing the same thing regarding Foster's novelizations of the first three movies.
I've heard mumbles that Disney is doing it across the board - it's just that Foster has advanced cancer *and* his wife has serious health issues and thus doesn't have anything to lose. Hard to threaten "you'll never work in this town again" when he can answer "yeah, I have cancer - tell me something I don't know".

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I didn't know this about Foster, and Disney. As if I didn't have enough reason to hate them (Disney, that is). :x

Yesterday I saw something regarding the X-Men films perhaps also being relegated to "Legends"...? (I didn't particularly care for the premise and atmosphere of Logan; but the rest, to me, are miles above anything from the Avengers film series. :twocents: )

Can't somebody just put a stop to that horrible company? What if they buy Trek? Or the government? Or the place I rent, to live in? Soon, we'll all be branded, 'Legends'.

I absolutely loved those Alien novelisations, in the mid-90s. I wish Mr Foster and his family all the best. :neutral:

Sorry to OP for remaining off-topic, though.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation

It started in mid-2013. At that time it became sta[…]