A place for complete-off-topic conversations that have nothing to do with Star Trek. The rules still apply here, stay civil.
Director of Communications
By OKCoyote (Daniel Matteson)
 - Director of Communications
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
This is a bit of a personal thing but it'll probably have to come up at some point, so it's better to say it now rather than correct people later. I hope it's all right to post it here.

Many of you have known or met my youngest child, Avery. After a lot of thought and self-reflection over the last year or so, Avery has told me recently that they would now like to be known as Ace, and that their pronouns are they/them.

I won't be answering specific questions regarding gender identity or orientation as that is a more private thing, and up to Ace to talk about if they wish (and to be honest, I'm really still trying to learn myself). However, they did give me permission to let people know about the name and pronoun change, as they would like it to be public, and are still an active Trek player (when we get back to having tournaments, at least).

That's it for now. Thanks for listening and understanding.
Director of Organized Play
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 - Director of Organized Play
 -  
Architect
1E Andoria Regional Champion 2023
2E Andoria Regional Champion 2023
W.C.T. Chairman's Trophy winner 2014-2015
jadziadax8 wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:18 am Tell them that I love them and give them a big hug from me.
+1

Lillian and I send our love!

By flrazor (Jeremy Benedict)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Haven't had the pleasure of meeting Ace yet, but their reputation as one hell of a Tribbles player is well known. Hope I'll get a chance to have them at my table someday. :cheersR:

We got all of you and big hugs to Ace from us.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
EDIT: I don't know your family. Still, I had the crazy idea I had something to say on the subject. I hope that's OK.

Although I can actually understand that this might be cause for some trepidation, an adjustment period for all involved, and "a thing", and while I'll only do so having read the diverse above statements and feeling secure in the fact that you and yours have read them and can find comfort in them, please allow me (some leeway) to answer this in the way that, deep down, I truly feel about this (and proudly -- I'd almost say "rightly" -- so):

Yeah? So what? Who cares? :lol: Have fun exploring your new life, Ace! 8) :thumbsup: :cheersL: (Cool name BTW, although Avery isn't bad either.)

Aside from the soul-searching and getting-used-to for those up-close, I don't see a problem for anybody else.

We used to be an intolerant world. Luckily, we're slowly moving past that. (Yes, I know. Naive. Not there yet. But we must stop disbelieving at some point. I was lucky to be born in this part of Europe, where we're seemingly ahead in this field... take heart, we CAN all live together.)

But also -- do yourselves a favour. Accept and expect that this is not common, or usual; nor will it ever be. If we ever meet online or IRL, I, too, will probably first react from human and logical -- even statistical -- preconceptions. I might slip up a number of times. Anybody can, and will. Just kindly remind me -- us -- of your wishes. Don't take this personally. It's not a lack of respect or inclusiveness. And calling somebody out on those things while unwarranted, might hurt both parties and create rifts where none existed. Yes, militant-wing-of-the-SJW-league; while I am firmly entrenched in the social side, I do look at you, too. 8)

If you can be patient with that part of the world that might just need a bit time to adjust, and relish in / feel encouraged by the part of the world that's already been at your back (since before you were born, even), then together we can eventually even sway and/or hold at bay the part of the world that might still (and sometimes understandably so, from certain points of view) resist.

For we all know 'bout them resistance -- they be futile. 8) :borg:

My :twocents: . (Well, perhaps it was a bit more... Ouch. I think I strained my ankle. Soap box was too high.)

MOD EDIT (nobthehobbit): Text infringing on Rule 6a hidden.

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
In future, please keep the cultural commentary to Quark's Bar, thanks.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Sorry. Not my intention. But I see now, it could be seen as polarizing in a way I didn't intend. :neutral:
I just meant to convey my support for the Coyote and Ace (and overshot). I hope I didn't ruin the topic. :P
 -  
I appreciate all the support, everyone, and will relay to Ace as well next chance I get. Thank you.
Second Edition Design Manager
By The Guardian (Richard New)
 - Second Edition Design Manager
 -  
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
I'd like to send my encouragement as well. I am so glad to have this community with which I share so many sentiments about being our best selves, as evidenced by the responses to which I would have a hard time improving. I hope Ace is too.
 -  
Just as an update, I wanted everyone to know that Ace came over yesterday and got a chance to read through this thread, and they were very moved. So thank you again. (Also, I changed their name in the tournament system and they were pleased with that, too.)

On a somewhat-but-not-entirely unrelated note, I'm hoping we can start scheduling games on tabletops again soon.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation

It started in mid-2013. At that time it became sta[…]