A place for complete-off-topic conversations that have nothing to do with Star Trek. The rules still apply here, stay civil.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
What are your favorite and/or odd roles for actors most known for Trek outside of Trek?

I'll start with oddity.

Marc Alaimo in The Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Smell of Fear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAMqMErPIIY

Yes, that's Gul Dukat in a ballcap with a pair of breasts in a bikini top on it. He was a trucker who (at least) sexually harassed Jane (Priscilla Presley). He thought no meant yes, but oddly though yes meant no. Jane ended up killing him "accidentally" leading to her going on a brief Thelma & Louise homage subplot.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Anyone Star Trek in Boston Legal.

Also, George Takei in Heroes season 1, before that show sucked.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
Armus wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:10 pm Also, George Takei in Heroes season 1, before that show sucked.
Oh yeah. Whenever someone mourns that Firefly didn't get a second season, I remember that at least it ended a classic. It'd be awful if it did have more seasons but went downhill like Heroes did.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
MrVorlon wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:30 pm Anthony Montgomery as Dr. Andre Maddox on General Hospital.
Also, Anthony Montgomery EDIT: JOHN BILLINGSLEY (I'm an idiot :P ) in TURN: Washington's Spies. An underrated 4 seasons of television.
Last edited by Armus on Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
North American OP Coordinator
By The Ninja Scot (Michael Van Breemen)
 - North American OP Coordinator
 -  
1E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E World Champion 2023
Tribbles World Champion 2022
The Traveler
1E North American Continental Champion 2023
2E North American Continental Champion 2023
  Trek Masters 1E Champion 2024
1E American National Champion 2023
1E Canadian National Champion 2023
2E Canadian National Champion 2023
2E  National Runner-Up 2023
2E American National Second Runner-Up 2023
1E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
2E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
Andrew Robinson was in Hellraiser
Terry Farrell was in Hellraiser 3
Nana Visitor was in Dark Angel
Avery Brooks was in The Hit or The Big Hit, can't remember off the top of my head.
Rene Auberjonois was in several episodes of Warehouse 13
Colm Meaney was in Con Air
Alexander Siddig was in Gotham
Armin Shimerman was in Buffy, Castle and Warehouse 13
Michael Dorn was in Castle

Michael,
who tried not to respond to this but couldn't help myself

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Multiple Trek Characters in multiple episodes of The Orville, but if I had to pick one, the one with Robert Picardo AND John Billingsley [SPOILER]
(as a BAD GUY!!)
is most memorable.

And to avoid even MORE posts on this thread... George Takei as himself in Nurses is laugh out loud funny (at least it was when I saw it almost 30 years ago)

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Too many to count (that feel weird). Often think: I wish I could forget this role of X in Y; Trek might never be the same...
... And then I blisfully forget, obviously. 8)

Favourites... I think also, many. :thinking: I can and do think about Pat Steward in Dune. Big fan.
TBBT is alright, but I loved Wil's role in it.

Thx for not spoiling Orville. On my list to watch, we don't have it here.
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
The episode of Murder She Wrote with John de Lancie is hands-down the best episode of Murder She Wrote.

Lots of good guest roles for Trek characters in Columbo too, and then there's:

(Disclaimer: while I can attest to the outstanding quality of Columbo, I've never managed to see an episode of Mrs. Columbo. But it also had Odo in it! I feel like Janeway and Odo would have gotten along famously.)

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Speaking of John de Lancie, he had a guest spot on one episode of Sportsnight (another really underrated show) as the CFO of the company. Definitely brought strong Q arrogance energy to that character.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
I'm a big fan of spoof movies, and The Shat has had a couple of memorable runs in them.

Airplane II: The Sequel gets maligned a lot because the Zucker brothers weren't involved, Leslie Nielsen didn't return and a lot of jokes got recycled, but it has some moments of pure brilliance. Shatner plays Buck Murdock, the plot's replacement for Robert Stack's Rex Kramer from the original and basically just chews all the scenery. This role was probably the prototype for the later comedic self-parody we often see from him.

National Lampoon's Loaded Weapon I was a really underrated spoof movie with a great cast. Shatner was the bad guy, General Mortars. And here is by far my favorite scene from that one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9RymuG8nn8

And while it'd be only adjacent to a spoof movie, I'll also mention his minor role as The Dodgeball Chancellor in Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story.
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
Armus wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:32 pm Speaking of John de Lancie, he had a guest spot on one episode of Sportsnight (another really underrated show) as the CFO of the company. Definitely brought strong Q arrogance energy to that character.
I remember comedy central had that on after the Daily Show for a while during college. I started watching it every now and then, and was really starting to get into it when they suddenly replaced it with Family Ties.

In any event, I never saw the John de Lancie episode, I really want to now.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
edgeofhearing wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:20 pm
Armus wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:32 pm Speaking of John de Lancie, he had a guest spot on one episode of Sportsnight (another really underrated show) as the CFO of the company. Definitely brought strong Q arrogance energy to that character.
I remember comedy central had that on after the Daily Show for a while during college. I started watching it every now and then, and was really starting to get into it when they suddenly replaced it with Family Ties.

In any event, I never saw the John de Lancie episode, I really want to now.
Go Grab this now before it's gone. It's astronomically higher on Amazon...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sports-Night-T ... XQjwVQ9vsp
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Or maybe keep your unsolicited snark to yo[…]

Vulcan Lander and its ability

What constrains this strategy is the number of c[…]

Ignoring point losses & Timing

I would be interested in the answer to this as wel[…]

Greetings 'trek fans! As discussed in our Februar[…]