A place for complete-off-topic conversations that have nothing to do with Star Trek. The rules still apply here, stay civil.
Sad news from the greater world of Sci-Fi.

The amazing actress Mira Furlan, who played Delenn in Babylon 5 and Danielle Rousseau in Lost (amongst other roles) has passed away.

Though she may never have appeared in Star Trek, Mira Furlan had many connections to the Star Trek universe through her fellow cast members, crew and sci-fi conventions.

She has joined many other great Babylon 5 actors beyond the rim.

In her own words as Delenn.

"The molecules of your body are the same molecules that make this station and the nebula outside, that burn inside the stars themselves. We are star-stuff. We are the Universe, made manifest, trying to figure itself out."

Gone, but never forgotten.

With sympathy,

Mattgomery Scott.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
That's the seventh B5 main cast member to pass. (And for folks who don't know, that show is a contemporary of DS9 - this ain't an old show!)

For all the talk of yet another Trek reboot, here's a show you'd *have* to recast because there's not enough of them left anymore. :(

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Maybe I have seldomly mentioned it here, perhaps, but I've always been a big fan of B5, too. (How could any Trek fan not know about B5?) Its rich setting and story had a great impact on my experience of TV (and my writing, when I still did that), and I loved the characters.

I though the show itself was great for the actors...? (Was I wrong?) That they had fun and a family in each other, like most shows -- luckily -- seem to be able to do for their cast and crew?
But what I didn't know is that so many of this show had already passed.

Very sad, this. :(
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
SudenKapala wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:49 am I though the show itself was great for the actors...? (Was I wrong?) That they had fun and a family in each other, like most shows -- luckily -- seem to be able to do for their cast and crew?
But what I didn't know is that so many of this show had already passed.
My understanding is that the cast is pretty close knit (you can see the references that they've kept in touch over the years).

But.. yeah, they've lost a lot of cast, and lost them relatively young too:

Andreas Katsulas (G'Kar, or Trek folks would know him as Tomalak) -died at 60
Jerry Doyle (Garibaldi) - died at 60
Richard Biggs (Dr. Franklin) - died at 44
Stephen Furst (Vir) - died at 63
Jeff Conaway (Zach) - died at 60
Michael O'Hare (Sinclair) - died at 60
and now Mira (at age 65).

And that's before you start counting recurring characters. :(

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
So many nice people / characters. And indeed, so young.

I didn't even know about Jerry Doyle. :x Garibaldi was one of my very favourite characters of B5.

It's weird, how such things get under the skin, right? I've never met any of them, and don't know their personalities, but you do feel a kind of "bond" because you got to know their fictional characters so well. And got to "benefit" from their craft and professionalism, their expertise as actors. So I guess that's why I can feel genuinely sad if someone that far away from me, passes away. :(

I also have that with certain musicians who pass on -- they touched me with their music, and in a sense they were very dear to me because of their work. I was, e.g., extremely shocked when James Horner's plane crashed (because he was even younger and it was a weird accident; and I'd been a major fan since the mid 90's); and when Sentenced's guitarist died (I did meet him multiple times); and many more examples.

At least one way of feeling "better" is that they were known, had a lot of fans and hopefully a good life, and they leave a legacy. They'll be remembered and celebrated. That's something. :neutral:
Question for noob

That's the question. The Isolinear Rods downloads […]

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]

Hey all, we are running a "Warum-up" fo[…]