A place for complete-off-topic conversations that have nothing to do with Star Trek. The rules still apply here, stay civil.

How do you eat Bagels with Cream Cheese?

Open faced.
63%
Like a sandwich.
21%
No Bagels. Bagels are the devil.
17%

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote:Why would I ruin a perfectly nice bagel with cream cheese? I demand a poll option for me!

Acceptable bagel toppings:
Butter
Peanut butter
(in 1E terms, "any butter")
Plain
AllenGould wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:59 pm
Boffo97 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:46 pm The perfect bagel topping: marinara, mozzarella cheese, pepperoni, heat in toaster oven until cheese is melted.
That just seems like a recipe for burning for fingers as molten cheese drips through the middle.

Now, a nice stabilizing slice of ham, a good hard-yolked fried egg, slice of tomato...
These miss the point. Your options were patently and specifically removed from the table prior to the beginning of the discussion. To The Corner!
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Aw, man, shoot, I wish you'd told me that before I went all Benny Russell on MidnightLich over there.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
I changed the rules. I don't like to lose.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Anyone in the Northern Lattitudes should have at least a passing familiarity with Tim Horton's. If your answer isn't "Tim Horton's Bagel BELT with Coffee and a Donut" then I have bad news for you: Your answer is wrong.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I scoop my cream cheese with bugles, not bagles. (This is a time-honoured European tradition.) Usually with one bugle per scoop. Bit since I like diversity, I sometimes scoop a lot of cheese and structurally reinforce it with a second bugle while transporting to mouth. This has been dubbed, "the sandwich manouvre".

It vexes me that these options were not in the list. Controversial, indeed.
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
Armus wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:44 pm Anyone in the Northern Lattitudes should have at least a passing familiarity with Tim Horton's. If your answer isn't "Tim Horton's Bagel BELT with Coffee and a Donut" then I have bad news for you: Your answer is wrong.
Ugh. Are you trying to kill the nice people? Timmie's has been ass for years now. They haven't even made their own donuts in something like 15 years.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
AllenGould wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:27 am
Armus wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:44 pm Anyone in the Northern Lattitudes should have at least a passing familiarity with Tim Horton's. If your answer isn't "Tim Horton's Bagel BELT with Coffee and a Donut" then I have bad news for you: Your answer is wrong.
Ugh. Are you trying to kill the nice people? Timmie's has been ass for years now. They haven't even made their own donuts in something like 15 years.
Really?

Wow. It's been a minute but I defs remember the Bagel BELT breakfast combo fondly.
 -  
Community Contributor
Armus wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:37 am
AllenGould wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:27 am Ugh. Are you trying to kill the nice people? Timmie's has been ass for years now. They haven't even made their own donuts in something like 15 years.
Really?

Wow. It's been a minute but I defs remember the Bagel BELT breakfast combo fondly.
Yup - they went to centrally made, par-baked "for consistency".

And in 2014 they got sold to one of those big holding companies, so they've been on that "must cut costs" suck-slide for a while now.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
SudenKapala wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:40 am I scoop my cream cheese with bugles, not bagles. (This is a time-honoured European tradition.) Usually with one bugle per scoop. Bit since I like diversity, I sometimes scoop a lot of cheese and structurally reinforce it with a second bugle while transporting to mouth. This has been dubbed, "the sandwich manouvre".

It vexes me that these options were not in the list. Controversial, indeed.
I've never like Bugles, but I have in the past been known to dip Cheez-Itz in cream cheese. I'm fairly certain that was a good chunk of my Freshman 15*.

*The typical Freshman in college gains 15 lbs (6.8 kg) in that year due to consumption of dorm food.

By Jesseon (Jesse Warburton)
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
If I'm eating them as a sandwich, there's sandwich fillings in there along with the cream cheese. If it's just cream cheese they're toasted and shmeared and each half eaten individually.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
jadziadax8 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:59 am*The typical Freshman in college gains 15 lbs (6.8 kg) in that year due to consumption of dorm food.
Thank you for being a true (and internationally friendly) physicist and noting that in imperials as well as metrics. :thumbsup: :wink:
But was the researched data clear on those Freshman 15 not at least partially being due to -- oh, I dunno -- the fact that people are still growing up a bit? :lol:
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
SudenKapala wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:50 pm
jadziadax8 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:59 am*The typical Freshman in college gains 15 lbs (6.8 kg) in that year due to consumption of dorm food.
Thank you for being a true (and internationally friendly) physicist and noting that in imperials as well as metrics. :thumbsup: :wink:
But was the researched data clear on those Freshman 15 not at least partially being due to -- oh, I dunno -- the fact that people are still growing up a bit? :lol:
I work on Occam's Razor on this one. The typical college dormitory, at least when I was there 20+ years ago, served up food in an all-you-can-eat buffet setting. This meant that I could walk in, grab 5 eggrolls and a plate of fried mozzarella sticks, eat all that and go back for more.

I'm fairly certain that eggrolls and mozzarella sticks > me growing up a bit more.
 -  
Community Contributor
jadziadax8 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:22 pm I work on Occam's Razor on this one. The typical college dormitory, at least when I was there 20+ years ago, served up food in an all-you-can-eat buffet setting. This meant that I could walk in, grab 5 eggrolls and a plate of fried mozzarella sticks, eat all that and go back for more.
Freshmen 15 was a thing at my school, but we didn't have the buffet - it was pay-as-you-go. Problem was that the cafeteria company liked to cut corners. Year before I started, there was a big uproar because they were adding oil to the water used to boil pasta (made it cook faster, and they didn't get paid to keep us healthy). And the pricing was... well, when the salad cost as much as the burger and fries, you know what people are gonna spend their $7 a day on. :)
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
There was a glorious quarter when I lived in the dorms when they had an ice cream freezer out in the dining hall lobby. And it was GOOD ice cream too, like ice cream snickers bars. At one point, my roommate and I had several dozen of them stashed in our tiny freezer, because nobody stopped you from taking a handful of them on the way out the door.

-crp

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
I don't want to try to remember what I ate during my youth. :roll: Fact is, I'm a card playing nerd. I don't even want to know what I'm eating today. :x

So, in the US and/or Canada -- free food, or food included, in dormitories? Interesting. Why/when was the food free of charge?
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation

It started in mid-2013. At that time it became sta[…]