A place for complete-off-topic conversations that have nothing to do with Star Trek. The rules still apply here, stay civil.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
I was inspired by these posts in another thread:
Iron Prime wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:00 pm Being born and raised in the Midwestern USA I was quite surprised to find out in my late teens that not everyone got to eat venison whenever they wanted. I mean it was always a treat, but nobody really batted an eye either...
Mr.Sloan wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:43 pm as a single child in a house, i took me until about 14 years old to get that not everyone owns the house they are living in and that a concept called renting exists... yeah I lived in the television from 7 to 14 years old ;) Also the self-cleaing effect on star trek ships for our house was actually my mom.... i was young and naiv. now I am old and naiv ;)
So, what weird thing were you most surprised to learn as a kid or even later in life?

I've always been able to feel where north is. I swear to you it's a sensation right at the top of my nose. However, it is not until I was in my 20s did I learn that not everyone experiences this sensation.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
That not everyone likes chocolate. I had never encountered anyone who didnt like chocolate. Even my sister liked it.....until all he sudden she didnt. All the sudden her tastes radically changed and she actively, openly.......loudly.....hated chocolate. But she has always been a contrarian so i never quite believed it.....

Chocolate is so rediculously good, and i was surrounded in particular by women who actively, openly.....loudly :shifty: .....loved chocolate that it was a shock when i encountered another person who hated chocolate.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
jadziadax8 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:36 pm So, what weird thing were you most surprised to learn as a kid or even later in life?
That there are people who actually can't carry a tune.
Executive Officer
 - Executive Officer
 -  
AllenGould wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:06 pm
jadziadax8 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:36 pm So, what weird thing were you most surprised to learn as a kid or even later in life?
That there are people who actually can't carry a tune.
I’ve known this one since childhood. We had a children’s choir at church.
Executive Officer
 - Executive Officer
 -  
edgeofhearing wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:10 pm That other people don't fall asleep by systematically making each part of their body fall asleep one by one.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I've been surprised at how radically people's surprise differs. Mainly, where esthetically pleasing things are concerned.

I can feel genuine wonder at how incredibly beautiful thunder, lightning, and clouds (even calm ones) can be. The moon. Certain animals. Insects. Certain sounds -- clanking 2 drinking glasses together, and hearing them jitter into rest. The frequency goes upward because the bump-back distance decreases, I guess -- it's physics. But also, wonderful to hear.

I can be mesmerized by all that -- and don't understand why many others just shrug. But it happens. (Vice versa, too.)

Then, the summit of joy -- music. I can name 100 songs, from 20 genres ranging from sludge or black or death metal to gothic rock to new age and from ambient metal to orchestral soundtrack scores to trance, that when I listen to them, I feel -- sincerely! -- it's the most beautiful thing I ever, ever heard. Next, wildly different song -- same, ultimate, passion.

I can't understand how some people can be content with random radio channels (and commercials -- bwegh!) when there is so much beauty to actively choose from every minute...

Is this a correct answer?

By Mr.Sloan
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
jadziadax8 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:36 pm I've always been able to feel where north is. I swear to you it's a sensation right at the top of my nose. However, it is not until I was in my 20s did I learn that not everyone experiences this sensation.
Interesting. Birds have sensors (yeah that's a good word) for detecting the magnet field of the earth and some animals are able to see spectrums of light we can´t and detect earthquakes before they happen. Its reasonable to assume that since humans where single cells, fish, rat like creates and finally ape like creatures we might have also some sensors we do not use that much any more.

I was a stuborn athest, until I had some time googeling the "supernatural" out of interest why so many still believe in it. One of the most surprising things I found was, that in near death experiences people leave their body and while unconscious see the room from a different perspective and even other rooms. of course as an athest i didn´t want to believe it for years, yet after reading the reports, knowing that there are millions of people in USA and Germany having such experience and I even know 3 people with them in my town, I became fascinated and maybe I am wrong about atheism. Not wanting to persuade anyone here or making a discussion out of it. just sharing what surprised me (in age 35).

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
I was confused about how others could count time with accuracy without external aid. I remember trying it out for myself, counting out seconds. A little too fast. Now a little too slow. And nothing felt different trying to summon up this clock--certainly not like jadziadax8 with superpowers over here. So I just try my best, which I can only assume is what others do, but who knows, man!

Actually, I suppose I do summon up a clock if I were to attempt counting with precision. I picture a digital watch in my mind, and the seconds digits moving, and count off of that. That seems to work better for me somehow than trying to count directly.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation