A place for complete-off-topic conversations that have nothing to do with Star Trek. The rules still apply here, stay civil.
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
monty42 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:14 pm I'm very disappointed in how this show turned out. :(
I liked elements of it (for example, Sam and Bucky have excellent chemistry), but the storytelling was all over the place. Lots of action, but none of the action really meant anything. Didn’t help that this show immediately followed Wandavision, which was fantastic.

By monty42 (Benjamin Liebich)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
2E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
Chancellor
2E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E German National Champion 2022
edgeofhearing wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:15 pm
monty42 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:14 pm I'm very disappointed in how this show turned out. :(
I liked elements of it (for example, Sam and Bucky have excellent chemistry), but the storytelling was all over the place. Lots of action, but none of the action really meant anything. Didn’t help that this show immediately followed Wandavision, which was fantastic.
Exactly my feelings! I was never able to buy into the Flagsmashers cause. The character development on the heroes was great but the overall plot went nowhere.
The Sharon/Power Broker thing was so blatantly obvious and yet completely irrelevant to the story, it almost made me wanna throw up.
I loved the idea of introducing Madripor but sadly it was an utterly forgetable tangent.

By monty42 (Benjamin Liebich)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
Chancellor
2E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E German National Champion 2022
I absolutely LOVED Wanda Vision. The next MCU show obviously had big shoes to fill.
TFATWS definitely didn't do that!
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
1E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
Flagsmashers felt like a villain of the week that overstayed its welcome. Sharon / Power Broker was pointless.

Honestly, between Wanda and TF&TWS, it feels like Marvel doesn't know how to edit the unimportant things out of a television-format show.
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
JeBuS wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:23 pm Flagsmashers felt like a villain of the week that overstayed its welcome. Sharon / Power Broker was pointless.

Honestly, between Wanda and TF&TWS, it feels like Marvel doesn't know how to edit the unimportant things out of a television-format show.
It's not like they had two successful TV franchises with talented writers who knew those businesses to draw from...

Though FaWS would not have had enough time to flesh out the characters. The first and sixth are important. The middle four could have been condensed, though.

Brian, will you stick around for Loki?
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
1E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
Faithful Reader wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:48 am
Brian, will you stick around for Loki?
Yes, though the trailer was giving off some Legion vibes, and I very much disliked that show. Hopefully the multiverse is better than the insane asylum.

By Marquetry
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
Dissenting opinion here... I enjoyed it! Good character development, interesting-yet-obvious twist with Sharon (like Agnes/Agatha), good action. Also emotional parts, I cried a bit through the ending.

Also VERY excited for Loki.
Second Edition Design Manager
By The Guardian (Richard New)
 - Second Edition Design Manager
 -  
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
JeBuS wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:57 pmYes, though the trailer was giving off some Legion vibes, and I very much disliked that show. Hopefully the multiverse is better than the insane asylum.
That's crazy talk to me, but to each their own.

I appreciated each episode of TF&TWS more on the second viewing. Sam's speech at the end felt like it lasted forever the first time, but the second time, I was able to sit back and take in more of the message. I kind of like them taking the time out to say more than one thing. I wish we had seen more of the world during the blip. I think that would have filled in the blanks for the Flagsmashers.

I was kind of let down by the finale of WandaVision. The villain seemed to so quickly manifest the episode before that I twiddled my thumbs during the CGI battle. Don't get me wrong; I loved the Doctor Strange-esque solution to mark the hex with runes, but Wanda only learned that the previous episode. Maybe I'd feel better just watching those two episodes as a movie. They're kind of all what the whole show was about. I get the complaint that TF&TWS was filler episodes 2-4 (having them challenged by Zemo was a good way for them to have to come together), but WandaVision episodes 1-7 felt like filler to me. Fun filler, but...

I liked both shows. I think I liked TF&TWS more. Partly because I'm more into the action of the supersoldiers than throwing energy blasts at one another with unspecified danger. And probably also because it looks to be able to keep going with the promise of more complexity with its dangling threads. But also (admittedly, because of my wife) I'm more dialed into the race issue than the story about grief.

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I enjoyed both shows - excited for Loki. WV>TF&TWS IMHO, but YMMV.

I can't help but wonder how this would look in a universe where WandaVision came second instead of first...?
1EFQ: Game of two halves

First: Rescue Captives is OP, there should[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation