A place for complete-off-topic conversations that have nothing to do with Star Trek. The rules still apply here, stay civil.

-  
Hi everyone.

My name is Liam but I usually go by Masked Thespian online, and have done so for around 20-21 years now. I didn't see a dedicated "introduce yourself" thread on any of the boards so I figured The Buzz would be the best place to do so (but would be more than happy to have this moved if I missed it, somehow).

I've been a long time lurker here, probably since the early-to-mid 2010s, but have only now gotten around to actually registering and making a profile.

I was, and still am a huge fan of the Star Trek CCG, having started playing it somewhere between the release of Deep Space Nine and The Dominion (so late 1998-early 1999). I was originally on the Decipher BBS forum as "Austin Powers - IMOM" (as I was a huge fan of that movie), which turned out to be inadvertently bad, as after Decipher released the Austin Powers CCG, and loads of people flooded the forum with Austin Powers-related handles, I was accused more than once of being a pretender and told that I should change my handle in favour of the "original" people who had created AP-related names. In the end, I ended up doing so as I just got sick and tired of being told that, and for the remainder of my time there (and on Digital Deck) I was known as "CHEGH-chew jaj-VAM jaj-KAK!" (phoentic Klingon for "today is a good day to die" according to the script for Way of the Warrior).

I played and collected First Edition in paper all the way up to The Borg, when my interest in the game waned a bit. I'd also started playing the game online via Digital Deck and tended to play that more than in paper as I had few people to play it with in person. I was a tester for Project Trek, and ended up playing through to the end of First Edition online, as well as trying a bit of Second Edition, but I never really liked it that much. I think I also played a bit of LotR online, too, but I don't recall being that good at it.

I live in England and have only ever played in a single tournament in paper, up in Hull in the early 2000s, before Voyager released. I took a Romulan Tal Shiar deck that I obviously hadn't playtested properly as all my Tal Shiar personnel were stuck at the Continuing Committee on Romulus whilst my downloaded-via-Spacedoor D'Deridex Advanceds were stuck at my Outpost. Whoops.

These days I tend to spend my free time playing Magic the Gathering (mostly the Commander format for the story-telling aspect of it), miniature wargames (including Star Trek Heroclix Tactics and Star Trek Attack Wing), and a number of board and card games (including Star Trek Ascendency and Star Trek Fleet Captains). I also enjoy the odd computer game as well, though am still yet to get past the Federation campaign on Star Trek Armada 2 (completed the first one, though).

Looking forward to talking Trek and TrekCCG with people here!
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
Welcome Liam! There is still an active group of 1E players in northern England, if that’s where you’re still living. Paging @KazonPADD, KazonPADD to the white courtesy phone, please.

-  
Thanks for all of the warm welcomes, everyone!
jadziadax8 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:32 pm Welcome Liam! There is still an active group of 1E players in northern England, if that’s where you’re still living. Paging @KazonPADD, KazonPADD to the white courtesy phone, please.
I'm not in the north of England, more the Midlands (aka "down south" to those in the north and "up north" to those in the south), but depending on how bad my Trek cravings get I may well venture there to get a game or two in.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Hi Thespian!

Please change your IRL name. We already have a Liam here, so it'd be confusing if you kept yours. ( :mrgreen: )

(Nah, J.K. of course, I just felt your pain about the AP handle. :wink: I hope my attempt at Brittish humour worked out.)

(I'm a bit of a stickler for handles, so I'll be calling you Thespian -- unless you object.)

Nice that you introduced yourself so extensively, I really appreciate that. :thumbsup: :cheersL:

You're in luck with the UK community, there's AlexD and AdmiralGary and KarmicSpark, SpaceGoat, and aforementioned KazonPadd; and you'll probably meet the Sexecutioner sometime and be "sexecutioned" (don't let that term bother you -- he's a very fun character to lose by, and while it may hurt, it never really hurts, ya ken? :lol: ).

(I "mentioned" all the people above, with the "@"; so they'll be seeing this thread and might chime in -- however while great fun IRL, some are rather boring for not posting a lot her ( :P ). Like me, actually -- I'm officially on hiatus myself. :lol: )

Me, I'm from across the channel someways. I really would like to visit the Islands sometime and play, but the pandemic situation may prevent that for some time to come. :(

Okay, I'll "git me coat" now. :cheersR:
First Edition Creative Manager
By KazonPADD (Paddy Tye)
 - First Edition Creative Manager
 -  
1E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
Masked Thespian wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:17 am Thanks for all of the warm welcomes, everyone!
jadziadax8 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:32 pm Welcome Liam! There is still an active group of 1E players in northern England, if that’s where you’re still living. Paging @KazonPADD, KazonPADD to the white courtesy phone, please.
I'm not in the north of England, more the Midlands (aka "down south" to those in the north and "up north" to those in the south), but depending on how bad my Trek cravings get I may well venture there to get a game or two in.
Hi Liam! Nice to meet you!

I’m Yorkshire based, but we invariably travel around for games: Hull, Grimsby, Manchester and Suffolk. Hopefully one of those venues may appeal and not be too far for you! Games have been on hold due to Corona but we have Nationals scheduled for 20th November in Manchester… no experience necessary, just turn up and play!

Is it now that we talk about the dream card forum?[…]

German Nationals 2024 (1E)

Done. Your complete decklist. Can't have your […]

Unser Turnier in Köln gestern war ebenfalls[…]

Online CM RELEASE TOURNAMENT

Hello, Here are the 2nd round pairings, courtesy […]