A place for complete-off-topic conversations that have nothing to do with Star Trek. The rules still apply here, stay civil.

By Jesseon (Jesse Warburton)
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
edgeofhearing wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:33 pm Alternate Disney immersive experience ideas I'd be more into:
  • Pirates of the Caribbean (more the ride than the movie)
  • Haunted Mansion (not a horror person, but the ride is more on the Addams family side of the creepy spectrum, which definitely is more my thing)
  • Space Mountain (I adore the classic sci-fi aesthetic that the waiting area captures)
I could be convinced to save my pennies for the Retro-Futuristic Space Mountain version. :D
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
Jesseon wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:10 pm
edgeofhearing wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:33 pm Alternate Disney immersive experience ideas I'd be more into:
  • Pirates of the Caribbean (more the ride than the movie)
  • Haunted Mansion (not a horror person, but the ride is more on the Addams family side of the creepy spectrum, which definitely is more my thing)
  • Space Mountain (I adore the classic sci-fi aesthetic that the waiting area captures)
I could be convinced to save my pennies for the Retro-Futuristic Space Mountain version. :D
I'm also imagining that anything that isn't SW won't quite carry the same price tag.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
MidnightLich wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:12 pm If I had the money, I'd do it. But it would all have to be disposable income, and I'm nowhere near that. I bet it would be fun, immersive, and unforgettable. I just won't ever be able to afford it.
:thumbsup:

If I won the lottery, I would do this. It runs close to, but does not quite exceed, my "okay now you're wasting so much money that could be better spent on charitable gifts so egregiously that it's sinful" threshold.

And it does look very awesome.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Boffo97 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:36 pm
My Lightsaber is a Power & Control Saber (meaning Sith-style), though I got it with a Blue Kyber Crystal with the headcanon that it was a redeemed blade. (Pro Tip: If you're planning to get extra Kyber Crystals, never take the red crystal while building. If you buy the red separately, there's a small chance it will be a black crystal, which are rare. They work the same as a red in the Lightsabers so you don't get a Darksaber, but in the Sith Holocron, they have a message from Snoke).

When you make the reservation, you'll get a pin indicating which of the 4 styles you took. You'll wear that so Cast Members can easily see which Saber style you picked. The Power and Control pin is to the bottom right of the pin page picture. (And if I talk any more about pins, you people will REALLY think I'm a nerd. I can't wait till this stupid virus is over so Pin Trading will fully return.)

If you can at all help it, don't watch videos on either experience beforehand, particularly not the Saber building.
Thanks Dave.

Most of this I already knew. I've done research on YouTube about the sabers themselves but have intentionally avoided the videos covering the experience itself.

I think at this point I'm leaning toward a Peace and Justice Blue saber, as it has that classic original trilogy look and snap-hiss sound (Did you know that each color kyber crystal has its own sound effect?).

But despite poring over the options (A LOT) I'm still torn on the specifics. I figure the Force will direct me when the time is right.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Following up on my last post, I went to Savi's yesterday and built my Lightsaber.

I ended up going with Peace and Justice and a Blue crystal. I gotta say I nerded out quite a bit during the experience, and when the Saber was complete, it was legit.

Not sure I'd do it again, but I'm definitely glad I did it once. 8)
Attachments:
37778.jpeg
37778.jpeg (590.7 KiB) Viewed 6247 times

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Excellent work!
It's quite the experience. I'm glad I did it once as well.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
THREAD NECRO UPDATE!

Thanks to some enterprising nerds on Etsy, I now have a custom fit 3D printed wall mount for my nerd toy. Now it can live prominently on my wall instead of hiding in its protective padded case where nobody can see it! :D
Attachments:
212830.jpeg
212830.jpeg (575.41 KiB) Viewed 3370 times

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:01 pm THREAD NECRO UPDATE!

Thanks to some enterprising nerds on Etsy, I now have a custom fit 3D printed wall mount for my nerd toy. Now it can live prominently on my wall instead of hiding in its protective padded case where nobody can see it! :D
hey that's cool. My wife has one of those. She displays the hilt on a bookshelf and the blade is in the bag in the closet lol. Could you send me the 3D files? I might try this and see if we want to do it permanently!

jctakket@gmail.com

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Takket wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 4:41 pm
Armus wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:01 pm THREAD NECRO UPDATE!

hey that's cool. My wife has one of those. She displays the hilt on a bookshelf and the blade is in the bag in the closet lol. Could you send me the 3D files? I might try this and see if we want to do it permanently!

jctakket@gmail.com
I don't have the files, but I'll be happy to plug the small business owner who hooked me up!

https://www.etsy.com/listing/477361426/ ... 2504773591

Depending on the specific build he has different cuts. Since I have the hanging D-Ring on mine he was able to provide me one with a slot for the D-ring to hang down and have the base stay flat.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
So the wife has made her choice and chosen Disneyland for her belated 40th bday trip. Going in February as that is the best time for a Childless couple like us per the childless community.

Just like with mine where she got a "I choose 1 thing we do" my 1 thing I choose is to do the build a lightsaber experience.

@Armus
@Boffo97

Anything I should know to enhance the experience? Special knowledge like "whatever you pick also make sure get get X, Y and/or Z"?
Can I expect other adults to do the full geek out so I'm not alone and can avoid the eye rolling of my wife?

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Hey @Hoss-Drone

Here's what I'd recommend:

Before going, watch the reviews of the 4 different Saber types that SirJames did on YouTube:

Peace and Justice:
https://youtu.be/k8ZlfBEh8as

Protection and Defense:
https://youtu.be/n88Pv9lDoB0

Elemental Nature:
https://youtu.be/GyLkABz1jPY

Power and Control:
https://youtu.be/cF4UvIGcua4

These will give you a really solid overview of all of the options and should allow you to at least figure out which of the four options most appeals. You'll need that going in since you have to choose your Saber type before they let you in the door.

You also get a choice of 4 crystal colors in the workshop: Blue, Green, Red, and Purple. Gold and White are available at the gift shop but aren't part of this experience. If you want a red crystal, you might be better off choosing a different color during the experience and buying it from the gift shop, as there's a chance it could be a black crystal (still a red blade, but interacts differently with some of the other swag you can buy)

If you're just getting the Saber, and you just want one color, then disregard the last bit and just choose red anyway, as the rest of what I said involves spending extra money.

As far as accessories go, they're completely optional, but I went with the belt clip, as it works with both D-ring and cycloid connectors and makes wearing it a lot easier if you want to nerd around after you get home.

Speaking of getting home... I HIGHLY recommend a wall mount. Much better than it just sitting in its case in the corner. They're very reasonably priced on Etsy and can make your Saber a centerpiece of a room.

As for the experience itself, I'll just say two things:

DO NOT watch any videos of the actual experience if you can help it. It's better to go in not knowing what you're going to get.

DO NOT film it. Have your wife do that while she's rolling her eyes. Just take in the whole experience and enjoy the moment.

I can legit say that building my lightsaber was one of the best parts of my last Disney trip in 2021, and would highly recommend it to anyone who wants to nerd out to Star Wars. Make sure you get a picture with your Saber in front of the Millennium Falcon after dark if you can!

Most of all, enjoy it! And post pics! :cheersL:
Attachments:
227002.jpeg
227002.jpeg (538.21 KiB) Viewed 2277 times

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Hoss-Drone wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:24 pm So the wife has made her choice and chosen Disneyland for her belated 40th bday trip. Going in February as that is the best time for a Childless couple like us per the childless community.

Just like with mine where she got a "I choose 1 thing we do" my 1 thing I choose is to do the build a lightsaber experience.

@Armus
@Boffo97

Anything I should know to enhance the experience? Special knowledge like "whatever you pick also make sure get get X, Y and/or Z"?
Can I expect other adults to do the full geek out so I'm not alone and can avoid the eye rolling of my wife?
yeah I'm going to echo the "don't watch videos ahead of time" thing Armus said. Let yourself be completely surprised by the experience. My wife did this in late 2019 not long after it opened. I filmed the whole thing, she still cries every time she watches it lol. I want to build one for myself one day.

Armus gave a breakdown of the 4 saber types. I heard recently that there are some new parts/pieces that rolled out. Here is a thread about it. I'll leave it up to you if you want to read it (there are no pictures here, they refer you to youtube. Also it seems the new pieces are in California and not Florida yet)

https://www.disboards.com/threads/new-s ... s.3900760/

When I build my own I'm just not going to look at any beforehand and just go with what feels right.

By Iron Prime (Dan Van Kampen)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
+1 for don't watch a video if you haven't already.

Protection and Defense has started it's refresh, as has Peace and Justice. Dan-O covered these here and here. (careful with that second link - do not rewind to earlier)

My son and I each built at Disney World in Florida and had a great time. Know that you are buying an experience that is being run by an improv actor that is in-character and had to audition for the part. It's a tad goofy a few times but that's part of the fun. They really want everyone to have a great and memorable time.

As noted above there is a whole suite of souvenirs that all interact with each other. Different crystals have different colors for the light sabers but also different voices for the holocrons. (If you by a red crystal in the shop you have a 1-in-200 chance of a black crystal - still a red lightsaber blade as noted).
This was so successful they are rolling out a similar system for the MCU (infinity stones instead of kyber crystals).

Lastly: do you have a reservation already? This is very very hard to get into same-day. The earlier you can reserve online the better.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Gotta say... the new Protection and Defense looks really good. The new Peace and Justice? Not so much.

Glad I made my P&J Saber when I did, but if I was going today I'd give the Gen2 P&D set a serious look.

Interested to see what they do with Elemental Nature (if I ever built a second Saber it would probably be that, at least from the Gen1 options) and Power and Control (probably my least favorite Gen1 set).

Also, @Hoss-Drone, it looks like the Gen2 sets are debuting at Disneyland so you may need to disregard the Sir James videos above, at they may not be relevant anymore.

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
1E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
I can echo what others had said as well. I bought the Hilt Stand and D- ring for mine, though I have yet to attach the Hilt Stand clips.
Attachments:
Pin.jpg
Pin.jpg (821.9 KiB) Viewed 2042 times
Hilt Stand.jpg
Hilt Stand.jpg (699.24 KiB) Viewed 2042 times
Saber.jpg
Saber.jpg (784.51 KiB) Viewed 2042 times
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn