A place for complete-off-topic conversations that have nothing to do with Star Trek. The rules still apply here, stay civil.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
I don’t like Star Wars that much. I don’t think I would consider it if it were Trek themed.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
jadziadax8 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:20 pm I don’t like Star Wars that much. I don’t think I would consider it if it were Trek themed.
Trek is my main jam, but I'm building a lightsaber ($220) and the kids are all building droids ($100+ each depending on accessories) when we go to Disney world later this year.

I think there's a line between lightsaber and Star Cruiser weekend that I'm on the wrong side of at this stage of my life that makes me say no thanks to the latter while nerding out on the former and I'm suspecting the placement of that line is directly related to my disposable income. :wink:
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
I should reword my previous post. I like Star Wars just fine. A light saber would be neat. I just don’t like it $4800 a night.

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
Yeah, I like Star Wars a lot. But in my income bracket, I don't like it that much.

And I did get myself a Lightsaber and Droid last time I went.

I think it's intended for the same type of crowd that would seriously consider the life size remote control R2-D2 they sell for $25,000.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Boffo97 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:45 pm
If you don't mind my asking, which saber and Droid builds did you go with?

I'm still considering my saber choices, and I think my kids all want BB-units of one color/ shape or another, but I'm considering building an R- unit for myself with the gift card money I got for my birthday.

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:15 pm
Boffo97 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:45 pm
If you don't mind my asking, which saber and Droid builds did you go with?

I'm still considering my saber choices, and I think my kids all want BB-units of one color/ shape or another, but I'm considering building an R- unit for myself with the gift card money I got for my birthday.
my wife built the "peace and justice" back in Oct 2019 when we went. i'm going to build my own when we go back in the future and i'm just going to decide whatever "feels right" when i get there.

We build a blue BB unit with a black head and named him BB20 because the 2019 trip was celebrating our 20th anniversary. He's sitting across the room from me right now next to the D0 I got for Christmas lol

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
I'll even attach a picture of my Galaxy's Edge Haul, as well as part of my pin collection pictures, and I'll explain why in a second.

My Droid is an R Unit droid, specifically an R3. Basically, the head unit determines whether it's a R0, R2, R3, R4, R5 or R6 (R1s are comparatively massive droids used as astromechs for large ships). R3 heads are just like R2 heads but they're partially transparent. The guns are a separate accessory, and it's one of two choices to make an otherwise unused button on the remote control do something. The other is jet engines, like we saw R2 have in the prequels.

EDIT: BB Units are pretty cool, particularly in that they found a way to have head stay on top of the rolling ball in real life, but you have to open up the main body to turn it on and off. That's a big reason why I went with the R (end edit)

My Lightsaber is a Power & Control Saber (meaning Sith-style), though I got it with a Blue Kyber Crystal with the headcanon that it was a redeemed blade. (Pro Tip: If you're planning to get extra Kyber Crystals, never take the red crystal while building. If you buy the red separately, there's a small chance it will be a black crystal, which are rare. They work the same as a red in the Lightsabers so you don't get a Darksaber, but in the Sith Holocron, they have a message from Snoke).

When you make the reservation, you'll get a pin indicating which of the 4 styles you took. You'll wear that so Cast Members can easily see which Saber style you picked. The Power and Control pin is to the bottom right of the pin page picture. (And if I talk any more about pins, you people will REALLY think I'm a nerd. I can't wait till this stupid virus is over so Pin Trading will fully return.)

If you can at all help it, don't watch videos on either experience beforehand, particularly not the Saber building.
Attachments:
92129148_10220853124733401_6358006299208187904_n.jpg
92129148_10220853124733401_6358006299208187904_n.jpg (78.93 KiB) Viewed 18346 times
86345753_10220327012500924_4552127127113170944_n.jpg
86345753_10220327012500924_4552127127113170944_n.jpg (104.48 KiB) Viewed 18346 times

By Jesseon (Jesse Warburton)
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
I saw an ad for that when we went to Didneyworl in June. I knew it was going to be a crazy price, but I definitely didn't expect ~$5000 just for me and my wife. Neither of us are into Wars enough for that.

Also, ludicrous price aside, I don't really want my hotel to be that interactive. :P

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Boffo97 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:36 pmyou people will REALLY think I'm a nerd
You know in what forum you wrote this, right? :shifty: :wink:

I built my saber back in 2002, when saber building had to be done completely on one's own, from scratch (and scrap metal), and without guidance... Drawbacks: doesn't work (no electronics), weighs a ton (heavy metal! 8) ), nor does it look very sophisticated.
Advantage: Really proud of it, didn't cost me any money, was a great -- and long-lasting -- adventure... and it doesn't look very sophisticated.
And there's a whole novel worth of headcanon where that came from, actually.

Coming back to the OP, no I wouldn't pay that money. Not nearly. I would go do something else. I love Wars, but this is too much. And I don't want to support Disney, seeing how they made a lot of choices that I really am not on board with. So, I'd go on a completely different holiday for that money! 8) If I had it. :lol:

But aside from that vindictive streak... The saber building I'd skip, but only because of the above true story; been there, had my own adventure. However, a droid -- yeah, given enough time to also look around, I'd do that! (It'd be an R2-unit, and I'd pick the colours and name from the fan fiction novel that I also took the saber from.)
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
jadziadax8 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:27 pm I just don’t like it $4800 a night.
That's all I needed to know. That's more expensive than a four-day cross-country rail trip from Vancouver to Toronto.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
If I had the money, I'd do it. But it would all have to be disposable income, and I'm nowhere near that. I bet it would be fun, immersive, and unforgettable. I just won't ever be able to afford it.

I'd rather save up to get 3-5 more lightsabers and get a nice collection of those going.

-crp
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
MidnightLich wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:12 pm If I had the money, I'd do it. But it would all have to be disposable income, and I'm nowhere near that. I bet it would be fun, immersive, and unforgettable. I just won't ever be able to afford it.
Well, that's a bit of a different metric. If it was "free" (either as a prize or just "I iz so rich I can go on vacay whenever I want lol"), why the heck not? :)

But if I only had $5k a year for vacation, I think there's a few places I'd want to hit first. (esp. when that's 5k + flights!)
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
Alternate Disney immersive experience ideas I'd be more into:
  • Pirates of the Caribbean (more the ride than the movie)
  • Haunted Mansion (not a horror person, but the ride is more on the Addams family side of the creepy spectrum, which definitely is more my thing)
  • Space Mountain (I adore the classic sci-fi aesthetic that the waiting area captures)
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
AllenGould wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:21 pm
MidnightLich wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:12 pm If I had the money, I'd do it. But it would all have to be disposable income, and I'm nowhere near that. I bet it would be fun, immersive, and unforgettable. I just won't ever be able to afford it.
Well, that's a bit of a different metric. If it was "free" (either as a prize or just "I iz so rich I can go on vacay whenever I want lol"), why the heck not? :)

But if I only had $5k a year for vacation, I think there's a few places I'd want to hit first. (esp. when that's 5k + flights!)
That's fair. I don't think I'd do it either if I have $5k or $6k. But if I had like, $10k or $12k, I think I would. You could do this experience, and then a few days of a more traditional Disney experience, in one trip. It still would be burning half your budget on two nights, but I'd at least look at it.

Disney makes magic, man. I like magic and believing, even as a 42 year old man. Getting to build my lightsaber was an unforgettable experience - I can only imagine how epic this would be.

(All that said, I don't see myself ever in the position to do this!)

-crp
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Or maybe keep your unsolicited snark to yo[…]

Vulcan Lander and its ability

What constrains this strategy is the number of c[…]

Ignoring point losses & Timing

I would be interested in the answer to this as wel[…]

Greetings 'trek fans! As discussed in our Februar[…]