A place for complete-off-topic conversations that have nothing to do with Star Trek. The rules still apply here, stay civil.

By PantsOfTheTalShiar (Jason Tang)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
So a friend has gotten me back into playing Minecraft. Anyone else here play?

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
1E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
I play but only on PS3 so I am capped at the Aquatic update.

By Jesseon (Jesse Warburton)
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
When I play Minecraft I will usually play a fun-looking modpack off curseforge. Sometimes my wife and I will play vanilla together with me on my PC and her on the Xbox. She plays a lot more Minecraft than I do in general.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
PantsOfTheTalShiar wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:36 am So a friend has gotten me back into playing Minecraft. Anyone else here play?
Our family goes off and on. For a year or so we were hosting the kid's school server.

Just dipping my toes into Stoneblock right now.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
I am vanilla only, no extra room on the PS3 for packs. I have both survival and creative worlds. I play for the mining/finding stuff mostly. I have never even been to The End and thus never beaten the game.
 -  
Community Contributor
Professor Scott wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:57 pm I am vanilla only, no extra room on the PS3 for packs. I have both survival and creative worlds. I play for the mining/finding stuff mostly. I have never even been to The End and thus never beaten the game.
That's a bummer, because modded Minecraft is really where the fun lives IMO, because that's where you get to dial in the experience you want to have. (My fam is weird; I wanna build elaborate machines that create infinite everything, my spouse is happy to take the fruits of that labor to YOLO into the nearest cave she can find, and the kid just raids the supplies and then disappears into the wilderness. ;) )

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
AllenGould wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:33 pm
Professor Scott wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:57 pm I am vanilla only, no extra room on the PS3 for packs. I have both survival and creative worlds. I play for the mining/finding stuff mostly. I have never even been to The End and thus never beaten the game.
That's a bummer, because modded Minecraft is really where the fun lives IMO, because that's where you get to dial in the experience you want to have. (My fam is weird; I wanna build elaborate machines that create infinite everything, my spouse is happy to take the fruits of that labor to YOLO into the nearest cave she can find, and the kid just raids the supplies and then disappears into the wilderness. ;) )
Are not the packs merely skins for the blocks and the avatars?
 -  
Community Contributor
Professor Scott wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:55 pm Are not the packs merely skins for the blocks and the avatars?
I'm on PC, so you can get mods that add items, quests, change how the world generates...
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
Sprout and Little Bit both play, but it’s definitely an on and off thing for both of them. They like creative mode more than story.

I tried creative mode once, but it didn’t catch my interest.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
AllenGould wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:16 pm
Professor Scott wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:55 pm Are not the packs merely skins for the blocks and the avatars?
I'm on PC, so you can get mods that add items, quests, change how the world generates...
True, and you get command line. Console doesn't have that so you get what you get, but I thought the packs for consoles were just re-skins. Can anyone confirm that?

By Jesseon (Jesse Warburton)
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Professor Scott wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:39 am
AllenGould wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:16 pm
True, and you get command line. Console doesn't have that so you get what you get, but I thought the packs for consoles were just re-skins. Can anyone confirm that?
It's complicated. :P The Java version (only on PC) allows free modding with all sorts of crazy stuff like the packs I play through Curseforge. The Microsoft version (called Bedrock Edition, I think) is updated with vanilla content more often, playable on both PC and consoles, but any modpacks you play have to be purchased through the Microsoft Store. The Microsoft packs used to just be skins, but I think they have new game modes and things you can purchase now.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and each version is purchased separately. I learned that when I tried to play with my wife the first time.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation

It started in mid-2013. At that time it became sta[…]