A place for complete-off-topic conversations that have nothing to do with Star Trek. The rules still apply here, stay civil.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
I really loved the movie. Happy I saw it the day before our government closed all non-essential business again :-(

Not spoiling much, but I'll put it hidden anyway to be sure.
I'll acknowledge that the main reason for the events happening is a bit crazy, and don't really think Spidey let alone Dr. Strange's character really would take such a risk, but what happens because of that is so much fun, excitement, emotional roller-coaster, that I can easily forgive it for that.

I was in a screening with what seemed to be mostly teenagers, and they screamed (mostly out of excitement) half through the movie. Never knew they were so involved in the universe, and would know about those movies from decennia ago :)
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
I was frequently entertained throughout, happy for much of it, but left with a very sour taste in my mouth, and am currently seeing whether I can talk myself into / out of the thesis that Spider-Man: No Way Home will destroy modern civilization.

If Peter Parker kept his effing promises for effing once it would solve a lot of problems with this movie, though probably not all of them. I doubt I can ever forgive him for putting that speech back in his pocket. Ghost Aunt May wants to know: "Are you doing what's best for them? Or best for you, Peter?" But Ghost Aunt May will be eternally disappointed because not just this Peter Parker but quite possibly all Peters Parker from across space and time are incapable of learning or moral growth.

Yeah, I'm salty.

Nice seeing Tobey again. He was always my favorite. I even liked 3, although I haven't seen it since it was in theaters.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
BCSWowbagger wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:15 am I was frequently entertained throughout, happy for much of it, but left with a very sour taste in my mouth, and am currently seeing whether I can talk myself into / out of the thesis that Spider-Man: No Way Home will destroy modern civilization.

If Peter Parker kept his effing promises for effing once it would solve a lot of problems with this movie, though probably not all of them. I doubt I can ever forgive him for putting that speech back in his pocket. Ghost Aunt May wants to know: "Are you doing what's best for them? Or best for you, Peter?" But Ghost Aunt May will be eternally disappointed because not just this Peter Parker but quite possibly all Peters Parker from across space and time are incapable of learning or moral growth.

Yeah, I'm salty.

Nice seeing Tobey again. He was always my favorite. I even liked 3, although I haven't seen it since it was in theaters.
Hawt taek: Just put more than 1 Spiderman into a Spiderman movie and all the spider nerds will squeal so hard that they completely overlook all the plot holes, inconsistent logic, poor decision making and character inconsistency.
Second Edition Design Manager
By The Guardian (Richard New)
 - Second Edition Design Manager
 -  
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
BCSWowbagger wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:15 am
... But Ghost Aunt May will be eternally disappointed because not just this Peter Parker but quite possibly all Peters Parker from across space and time are incapable of learning or moral growth.

Yeah, I'm salty.

I'm generally on board with the idea that the movie was underwhelming. My theater went nuts for each reveal. It might be the MCU's attempt at a "meta" movie. Not in the sense that we all knew the reveals before they happened (because the internet), but because now you have to know outside sources to get the whole story. Any other MCU movie (besides Endgame and possibly Infinity War) held your hand through the backstory you needed. No Way Home needed you to have that beforehand or you were going to be left behind. Up until now, I could show almost any of these movies to my mother and have her follow along. This one is questionable.

So, I don't think you're salty. Just ahead of the curve. I felt the same way after The Force Awakens. That movie was not made for my son to enjoy. It was made for the people that already had a couple of trilogies under their belts.

And completely agreed on seeing Tobey. I didn't know how well his portrayal would age, but he came off as the wizened guru Spider-Man, so I hope you carve out an exception for him in the "no Spider-Man can learn" thing. He had calm advice for Andrew finding his way. I came away conflicted about Andrew's Spider-Man. I liked the idea of him getting bitter, but it rarely came out. Maybe they figured on hiding it behind goofy jokes (like the "I love you guys" thing, which I did enjoy; you don't want a Spider-Man to be a jerk), but hitting that darkness a little harder would have made his big save hit a little further home.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
The Guardian wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:01 pm
BCSWowbagger wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:15 am
... But Ghost Aunt May will be eternally disappointed because not just this Peter Parker but quite possibly all Peters Parker from across space and time are incapable of learning or moral growth.

Yeah, I'm salty.

I'm generally on board with the idea that the movie was underwhelming. My theater went nuts for each reveal. It might be the MCU's attempt at a "meta" movie. Not in the sense that we all knew the reveals before they happened (because the internet), but because now you have to know outside sources to get the whole story. Any other MCU movie (besides Endgame and possibly Infinity War) held your hand through the backstory you needed. No Way Home needed you to have that beforehand or you were going to be left behind. Up until now, I could show almost any of these movies to my mother and have her follow along. This one is questionable.

So, I don't think you're salty. Just ahead of the curve. I felt the same way after The Force Awakens. That movie was not made for my son to enjoy. It was made for the people that already had a couple of trilogies under their belts.

And completely agreed on seeing Tobey. I didn't know how well his portrayal would age, but he came off as the wizened guru Spider-Man, so I hope you carve out an exception for him in the "no Spider-Man can learn" thing. He had calm advice for Andrew finding his way. I came away conflicted about Andrew's Spider-Man. I liked the idea of him getting bitter, but it rarely came out. Maybe they figured on hiding it behind goofy jokes (like the "I love you guys" thing, which I did enjoy; you don't want a Spider-Man to be a jerk), but hitting that darkness a little harder would have made his big save hit a little further home.
Everybody thought I was crazy when I came out of The Force Awakens saying it was a pile of garbage and lo and behold.....so feel pretty confident than time will go on and people will realize that this Spiderman movie was ok, nit great and has some problems and not ZOMFG THIS IS THE MOVIE OF THE DECADE....
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation

It started in mid-2013. At that time it became sta[…]