A place for complete-off-topic conversations that have nothing to do with Star Trek. The rules still apply here, stay civil.

Do you share the area code at first blush?

Yes
89%
No
11%
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
This poll deals with area codes.

I'm not sure how well the term 'area code' will transfer across the pond, but there are ten digits in phone numbers is the Americas, only the last seven of which you need if are calling someone in with the same area code. For example, phone numbers in my vicinity are 216-555-5555 but if I go east enough they become 440-555-5555 and if I go south enough, they become 330-555-5555.

At any rate,, the questions I have is if you are calling someone with the same area code and you give them a number to reach, do you give them the area code by default or no? I generally don't and am somewhat surprised when someone checks it when I give them the number. I realize things are different nowadays with cell phones, but not when I am working with a landline.

Let me know, do you give the area code with the phone number?
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
Always. Here in Chicago, the area codes are too dense to be able to assume anything.

Story time!. My 92-year-old neighbor tried to give me a 5-digit phone number when we first met. I told him I was not from Mount Prospect originally and needed a little more to go on than that.
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
1E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
jadziadax8 wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:53 pm Always. Here in Chicago, the area codes are too dense to be able to assume anything.
And they've just added another.

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Yes. My area has one area code for the specific area, and another two used across the province. (And there's a fourth area code that's used outside my area in the rest of the province.)

By Marquetry
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
Always. There are multiple codes in the metro area, and we both have cell numbers from another state... I can't imagine only giving 7 anymore.

By winterflames (Derek Marlar)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
You should be sharing around Cleveland. 440 is all the suburbs (both East and West), 216 is mostly Cleveland itself (although I admit I am not an Expert on the East Side), and 330 is south of those 2, including the Akron Area.

My phone is 216, because I bought the plan in Kamm's Corners, the Westernmost neighborhood of Cleveland. My wife's number is 440 because she got hers in Fairview Park, just across the Rocky River. The stores were less than a mile apart.

Here in North East Oklahoma, things are just starting to get complicated now. For as long as I can remember the area code was 918, you just had to know if the number was long distance, whether to dial the 918 in front. This got complicated, according to my step dad, in the oolagah -Talala area, you could be calling your neighbor long distance depending on where your service was out of!
Now they went and added a new one! Just straight up covering the same area. Now, no matter what, you have to dial 10 digits. Every time.

By Jesseon (Jesse Warburton)
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
At this point, if I don't hear 10 digits, the number doesn't register in my brain as a phone number.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Jesseon wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:27 pm At this point, if I don't hear 10 digits, the number doesn't register in my brain as a phone number.
:thumbsup:
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Or maybe keep your unsolicited snark to yo[…]

Vulcan Lander and its ability

What constrains this strategy is the number of c[…]

Ignoring point losses & Timing

I would be interested in the answer to this as wel[…]

Greetings 'trek fans! As discussed in our Februar[…]