A place for complete-off-topic conversations that have nothing to do with Star Trek. The rules still apply here, stay civil.

By Dukat (Andreas Rheinländer)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
1E German National Runner-Up 2024
Hi people,

question ...

I recently wrote an article about the ridicolous prices at a place called 'Five Guys'.
Where you can pay 20 or 30 dollars for a burger, just because it is 'customized'.

I know Americans love their 'freedom of choice', but why the heck would anyone pay that much for a fricking burger?

They look disgusting, cheap and repellent. (Not even a tad better than any regular McDonalds burger or something of a sort.)

By Mugato
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
1E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E World Runner-Up 2023
Great burgers and fries. Far better than regular fast food burgers. The little is a single patty & the regular burgers are 2x. It is a family favorite (a rare thing to find something 2 adults and 4 kids want to eat).

A more accurate price is attached. If you got a large fry, drink and it is around $20ish per person. It, like everything else food related went up a decent bit in the last 3 years.
Attachments:
Screenshot 2023-04-16 at 1.16.38 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-04-16 at 1.16.38 PM.png (192.28 KiB) Viewed 1630 times
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
Five Guys burgers are tasty, but I prefer the ones I make at home. :shrug:

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
I've never had Five Guys.

No hate, just never been.

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
1E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
I am a potato snob. They have won many awards for their fries, but they would NOT win one from me. Not a fan of soggy, bland fries. If they are not crisp, then you wasted the potato. The burgers are decent but they fail to meet your standard non-fast food burger like Red Robin, or Chili's. That said I generally pass on them, not impressed.

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
The burgers are pretty fresh and juicy, cooked fresh. I hadn't been in a while but went about 2 weeks ago.

I spend almost $20 on a burger and fries which is kinda nuts. I ordered cheese on my burger and it was straight up a Kraft Single. That's not cool.

The meat on the burger though, was very good, as were the onions I got on it.

Cajun fries were good on the seasoning but they were limp and damp. I agree they need to be cooked more and crisped up.

I have always been amused because Five guys is famous for just giving you a paper bag full of fries that turns translucent from the grease. But there is a paper cup in the bag that is meant to hold the fries. That paper cup is the most pointless thing ever. That paper cup is to french fries what Howard Heirloom Candle is to 1E. The last bag I got the cup was full of fries at the bottom of the bag, BURIED under a huge pile of fries. So I had to eat a huge pile of fries to even get to the cup that was supposed to be holding my side of fries. Kind of comical.
Last edited by Takket on Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
I went to Five Guys once, and wasn't really impressed. If your local one is charging $20-$30....that is.... Way overpriced. I would take In N Out over Five Guys every single time.
Executive Officer
 - Executive Officer
 -  
abargar7510 wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:54 pm I went to Five Guys once, and wasn't really impressed. If your local one is charging $20-$30....that is.... Way overpriced. I would take In N Out over Five Guys every single time.
Steak 'n Shake FTW!

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
jadziadax8 wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:01 pm
abargar7510 wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:54 pm I went to Five Guys once, and wasn't really impressed. If your local one is charging $20-$30....that is.... Way overpriced. I would take In N Out over Five Guys every single time.
Steak 'n Shake FTW!
There are more Steak N Shakes in this area of the country than In N Outs (obviously), but, for some reason they are always located in places where there are better sounding alternatives.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
jadziadax8 wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:01 pm
Steak 'n Shake FTW!
No Lies Detected.

SnS was a go-to for me for both late night study (cram) sessions in college and pre/post-Worlds GenCon dinners... Not sure I'd be as cavalier with them now that I'm in my 40s as I was in my 20s, but their Frisco Melt is probably worth the indigestion... :shifty:
Executive Officer
 - Executive Officer
 -  
Sadly, they have had to severely restrict their menu due to some poor business choices with franchises, but the steakburgers and skinny fries are still just as good as ever.
Last edited by jadziadax8 on Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Second Edition Design Manager
By The Guardian (Richard New)
 - Second Edition Design Manager
 -  
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
abargar7510 wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:54 pm I would take In N Out over Five Guys every single time.
Ew. (Personally.)

I only want to be back in Texas for the Whataburger.

By flrazor (Jeremy Benedict)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
For me Five Guys is a choice due to food restrictions (Celiac). Their allergen protocols are above average (buns are separated from the meat grill, good training, sometimes followthrough is mixed), the fries are the only thing in the fryers so I don't have to contend with contamination from breaded food, and you have either a lettuce wrap option or everything can be put in a container for you to add your own bun or go totally without. I don't eat there often, it is pricey, but the taste is good and I feel safer with them than some other options.

By Marquetry
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
I need to try In-n-Out again to compare...

We rarely have Five Guys- sometimes the burgers are too greasy, and their fries are not good. They do have decent hot dogs, but those are hard to mess up.
Personally I'm also not much of a fan of Steak-n-Shake, except for their hours, so on trips they sometimes are the only viable choice.

We have a really good local place, EJ's... burgers are good, fries are good (and you can get curly fries!). Wish they could expand to other locations.
Card Page Glitches

So, it's seeming on some sets that the cards on th[…]

Question for noob

Awesome. Thanks everyone for all the help!

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]