A place for complete-off-topic conversations that have nothing to do with Star Trek. The rules still apply here, stay civil.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Just curious, does the CC financially support LackeyCCG in any way? It seems like we (you mostly) would have a vested interest in avoiding lapses in domain or other potentially drastic changes to how the game is played online.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
doctorjoya wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 8:39 pm Just curious, does the CC financially support LackeyCCG in any way? It seems like we (you mostly) would have a vested interest in avoiding lapses in domain or other potentially drastic changes to how the game is played online.
No, we do not. Is there a way to contribute funds that anyone is aware of?
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Awhile ago, when I was still "Chairman" (before the board), I had started conversations with the owner/developer of Lackey about buying or licensing the software and/or server. It never really went anywhere. It might be worth trying again.

-crp

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
All in favor of taking donations for LackeyCCG? Aye!

All in favor of paying the LackeyCCG domain fee next year? Aye!

The ayes have it. Meeting adjourned. [gavel sound]
Ambassador
 - Ambassador
 -  
If trekcc spends money I’d want to hear from the creator about adding some useful features for trek. Like being able to associate a card on the table with a crew tab and then being able to click the cards on the table to shuffle or randomly select etc. Also being able to drag cards onto a ship and have them be moved to the right crew.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Fritzinger wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:32 am If trekcc spends money I’d want to hear from the creator about adding some useful features for trek. Like being able to associate a card on the table with a crew tab and then being able to click the cards on the table to shuffle or randomly select etc. Also being able to drag cards onto a ship and have them be moved to the right crew.
Having our own platform makes the most sense I think. Then we could tailor it to our needs.

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Fritzinger wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:32 am If trekcc spends money I’d want to hear from the creator about adding some useful features for trek. Like being able to associate a card on the table with a crew tab and then being able to click the cards on the table to shuffle or randomly select etc. Also being able to drag cards onto a ship and have them be moved to the right crew.
I've often wondered what it would cost for CC to have someone write software to play the game. I know it isn't cheap but if they started from Lackey and built from there I don't think you're talking about more than a few hundred hours of work to REALLY make a top notch program (yes, at $100 billing I'm aware 500 hours if $50,000!!!!!!!!)

part of the reason it takes so lnog if the person hired to do it actually kinda needs to learn the game and rules along with the programming.

That being said!!!!!!!!!! Since this isn't a money maknig venture where absolute perfection is key, I've wondered if you might be able to find some programming students that could take something like this on as a Senior project. We don't pay, they get an A+ and a degree, everybody wins. Might be worth reaching out to some universities to see if something like that is possible.
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
1E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
Takket wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:30 pm I've often wondered what it would cost for CC to have someone write software to play the game. I know it isn't cheap but if they started from Lackey and built from there I don't think you're talking about more than a few hundred hours of work to REALLY make a top notch program (yes, at $100 billing I'm aware 500 hours if $50,000!!!!!!!!)
This is probably close.
That being said!!!!!!!!!! Since this isn't a money maknig venture where absolute perfection is key, I've wondered if you might be able to find some programming students that could take something like this on as a Senior project. We don't pay, they get an A+ and a degree, everybody wins. Might be worth reaching out to some universities to see if something like that is possible.
The reason the above number is what it is because it is dependent upon an engineer who knows what they're doing. That's the time it'd take a professional to do it. And the ability to do the work is where the hourly goes up.

A student, bless their heart, isn't going to be able to do it in that amount of time (I doubt they'd finish the project over four years of schooling). They're not going to be able to do it as well. And honestly... I highly doubt they could do it at all.

I have some recent experience with this, believe it or not. I gave talks to classes who were in their last couple semesters. Their focus for the first semester was to plan a game project. The second semester was to implement it (aka, develop the actual game).

Most of the groups didn't have a working product at the end of 6 months. The ones who did drastically cut back on the planned features just to make something that worked. And if you dug into their projects, you can tell it's one band-aid hack over another.

And the reason is, they had no idea what they were doing. That's not a knock against them. Most new programmers don't know what they don't know. It takes years of experience before stuff really starts falling into place.

New grads are generally terrible software engineers. Their degree simply familiarizes them with concepts and proves they can stick with stuff. That's why most places who hire new grads do pair-programming. They get paired with a senior dev who can guide them through actual work.

Now, all that being said, I'm going to have this thread moved over to another forum, since it's got nothing to do with technical difficulties here.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
@JeBuS next time you're ready to switch jobs, give us a heads-up. We'll set up a kickstarter to pay you to do the work.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
jadziadax8 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 6:40 pm @JeBuS next time you're ready to switch jobs, give us a heads-up. We'll set up a kickstarter to pay you to do the work.
There are plenty of 1E traditional-playing people on Facebook who appear to have a lot of cash to blow….
Ambassador
 - Ambassador
 -  
jadziadax8 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 6:40 pm @JeBuS next time you're ready to switch jobs, give us a heads-up. We'll set up a kickstarter to pay you to do the work.
This would've worked well for me if I'd know that was an option while I was living in a cheaper city than London :).

But seriously, I imagine that a kickstarter might attract attention of rights holders. Perhaps if the money-related portion was to build better-than-lackey generic CCG software, and it just needed some "customisation from volunteers" to make it into something that could be used to play Trek... that'd be the trick.
Card Page Glitches

So, it's seeming on some sets that the cards on th[…]

Question for noob

Awesome. Thanks everyone for all the help!

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]