It's all about the game. Join a local league and play early, and play often. Check standings, track progress, and more inside.

For more details about this tournament, to pre-register, or to view results, click here

• 91 posts

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Professor Scott wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:46 am Since it's a tournament, I always assume OTF unless it explicitly says otherwise.

I mean the T IS for Tournament, right? :shifty:

That said, I would prefer OTF, but I do have 3x of a [Dual] in my pool. So I could go either way. I know @jadziadax8 already has her deck done, so I am sure she might have a vested interest in case she needs to make any changes.
I have no dog in this fight, but I'm pretty sure Sealed events are NOT subject to OTF rules by default.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
Warp Speed rules are kind of their own thing, so *shrug*. Most of the elements of OTF Rules are already baked into the format. Looking through the OTF Rules sheet and Warp Speed:
  • The Doorway phase is still first in each case
  • Mission seeding is defined in Warp Speed
  • Batch seeding is mandatory for both
  • Facility phase is kind of whatever because each person knows where their opponent's outpost will be
  • OTF vs. standard will make a difference in where overcome dilemmas go. If you got a Nanoprobe Resuscitation, you'll have to mind when a dilemma went in the discard pile. *shrug*
  • OTF vs. Standard cares about dilemma seed limit. I didn't get 3 of any dilemma, so I don't really care about this. Others may.
  • I got Fair Play, but since the Warp Speed rules specifically ban mission theft, I didn't even consider putting it in the deck.
  • In my experience, the personnel download limit never comes into play in this format.
  • As far as banned cards go, if someone gets DQSS and can use it, I say go for it. This would be a much bigger issue if we were playing Enhanced Premiere, rather than Voyager.
  • OTF victory conditions are similar or irrelevant. The Big Picture isn't a problem here because it's also baked into the Warp Speed rules. The only one that might come into play is the bonus point rules. There is a weird edge case where I see no one solving a mission, but someone scoring points on a Subspace Fracture or Replicator Accident (both rare dilemmas, BTW) and there being a TT rather than a MW.
On the whole, I don't really see a case against using Open rules, since many of the most abusive strategies in Open can't be used anyway. And we get the benefit of ditching the bonus point rule.

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
1E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
Roger open, now I have to consider that 3rd [Dual] muhahaha.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
Professor Scott wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:28 pm Roger open, now I have to consider that 3rd [Dual] muhahaha.
Did you get all the Implications? :shifty:

By Boffo97 (Dave Hines)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Retired Moderator
SudenKapala wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:55 pm If anybody does anything that I don't agree with (such as winning), I'm going to rage quit the whole game forever.
Oh... wait.
That might even be seen as an incentive.
Technically, "anybody" includes you. :P

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
Boffo97 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:09 pm
SudenKapala wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:55 pm If anybody does anything that I don't agree with (such as winning), I'm going to rage quit the whole game forever.
Oh... wait.
Oh Snap... if we assume he only means in games he plays in, then @SudenKapala has to TT all his games or rage quit forever!

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Professor Scott wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:24 pm
Boffo97 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:09 pm
Oh... wait.
Oh Snap... if we assume he only means in games he plays in, then @SudenKapala has to TT all his games or rage quit forever!
My mistake. I forgot the difference in game terms between "anybody" and "anyone". This is 1e, after all.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
FW Matthew M (Professor Scott) over Maggie (jadziadax8) 70-0
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Or maybe keep your unsolicited snark to yo[…]

Vulcan Lander and its ability

What constrains this strategy is the number of c[…]

Ignoring point losses & Timing

I would be interested in the answer to this as wel[…]