• 100 posts
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Hello!

First of all, if you haven't yet, check out this article about the new and revised raffle program. Then, if you have any questions or comments, please post them here so we can help you get the answers you're looking for!

-crp

By Worf Son of Mogh (Kenneth Tufts)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
The Traveler
1E North American Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E North American Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E Canadian National Runner-Up 2023
2E Canadian National Runner-Up 2023
for the bonus tickets for premium member ship does that apply when you perches it or when it is needed to be used, so could some one say decide to donate in $30 increments by buying way more 1 year premium memberships them they will ever need and get a few raffle tickets for it?
I'm a big fan of raffles that help support groups I'm a fan of I always buy lots at local gaming conventions.
Director of Organized Play
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 - Director of Organized Play
 -  
Architect
1E Andoria Regional Champion 2023
2E Andoria Regional Champion 2023
W.C.T. Chairman's Trophy winner 2014-2015
Does the Premium Membership clause only apply to paid members or does it trigger for everyone (CC committee members, designers, etc.)?

On another note, it looks like my cousin Marshall won a ticket at the Charity Draft. Considering he had never played 'trek before New Year's, is unlikely to play again until next year, and will probably never visit this site, will this ticket be lost or is there some way it can be randomly assigned to a different attendee?

By Maelwys (Chris Lobban)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
LORE wrote:Does the Premium Membership clause only apply to paid members or does it trigger for everyone (CC committee members, designers, etc.)?
Paid memberships only. The various complementary memberships don't provide any raffle tickets. Though there is always the option that raffle tickets could be awarded as a different method of "thank you" gifts to specific users in the future, in much the same way that premium memberships are now. (ie: all active playtesters get a complementary premium membership, maybe those that are especially active and providing good feedback will also get a handful of raffle tickets as extra thanks)
LORE wrote:On another note, it looks like my cousin Marshall won a ticket at the Charity Draft. Considering he had never played 'trek before New Year's, is unlikely to play again until next year, and will probably never visit this site, will this ticket be lost or is there some way it can be randomly assigned to a different attendee?
The ticket will be "lost" in that case.

By JamesValEson (Barry Windschitl)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
What happens to previously earned physical tickets that have been entered into the system? I have something like 8 in there and would be bummed to lose them all without having gotten anything for them.
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 -  
Architect
JamesValEson wrote:What happens to previously earned physical tickets that have been entered into the system? I have something like 8 in there and would be bummed to lose them all without having gotten anything for them.
I thought the last raffle covered all of the physical tickets, but could be wrong. I hope I'm not though, as I chucked all the paper tickets a few weeks ago.

By Maelwys (Chris Lobban)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
JamesValEson wrote:What happens to previously earned physical tickets that have been entered into the system? I have something like 8 in there and would be bummed to lose them all without having gotten anything for them.
As previously announced, the previous raffle was the last chance to win anything with physical tickets. For all future raffles, only virtual raffle tickets earned after January 1st will be valid.
Ambassador
By T-Ricks (Rick Kinney)
 - Ambassador
 -  
I just need to put in my 2 cents worth on the new raffle ticket distribution system. My play group is small and includes two top caliber players that almost always win the tournaments they play in, at least in our group.

I am concerned our players may get discouraged at the prospect of not having a realistic shot at winning a tournament, and now, may not be able to win a raffle ticket for the same reason.

Why is it the winner is the one getting the reward? Isn't it the goal just to have more participation? The players that keep on trying, even though they don't win deserve something for their effort don't they?

What is the point of being stingy with the virtual raffel tickets? Why can't every player get one for playing in a sanctioned event? That would be more incentive to play don't you think? Giving everyone a raffle ticket wouldn't cost more, there wouldn't be more prizes, just more partipants that would have an interest in playing.

Bottom line is, I'm disappointed with how the tickets will be given out. It is another case of where the power players are rewarded and the regular guy is left with nothing.

Thanks for reading.

Rick
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 -  
Architect
T-Ricks wrote:I am concerned our players may get discouraged at the prospect of not having a realistic shot at winning a tournament, and now, may not be able to win a raffle ticket for the same reason.

Why is it the winner is the one getting the reward? Isn't it the goal just to have more participation? The players that keep on trying, even though they don't win deserve something for their effort don't they?
Interesting points. If it were up to me, I would award the guaranteed raffle ticket to whomever finished last (I usually did this with the physical tickets too) to encourage them to come back and try again at our next event.

It just makes sense to give the newer players more chance to get their hands on cards, memorabilia, etc. via the raffle than the top guys, since it's highly likely the top guys don't need more cards and / or are playing for different reasons. When it comes to sustaining interest in the game, winning shouldn't be everything, in fact it shouldn't really even factor into the equation much.

By Brak_ (Chris O'Connell)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
LORE wrote:
T-Ricks wrote:I am concerned our players may get discouraged at the prospect of not having a realistic shot at winning a tournament, and now, may not be able to win a raffle ticket for the same reason.

Interesting points. If it were up to me, I would award the guaranteed raffle ticket to whomever finished last (I usually did this with the physical tickets too) to encourage them to come back and try again at our next event.

It just makes sense to give the newer players more chance to get their hands on cards, memorabilia, etc. via the raffle than the top guys, since it's highly likely the top guys don't need more cards and / or are playing for different reasons. When it comes to sustaining interest in the game, winning shouldn't be everything, in fact it shouldn't really even factor into the equation much.
I have to agree with these two. Also in our group, which has anywhere from 4-8 players at a time, it's still consistently the same 1-2 people who come out on top at each tournament. And their card pools are usually the most developed out of anyone.

Not to mention that when we have Tournament Kits, the winner will get first pick of the promos. I wouldn't be surprised if other places do it the same. So that would be two benefits going to the winner.

I'd much rather prefer that the tickets go to random players who participated. That seems the most fair without excluding people who might be discouraged by their losses.

By RedDwarf (Unjustly Banned)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
As long as you have more than 4 players, there will be at least one random raffle ticket awarded.

The more players you have, the more random raffle tickets are awarded.

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
RedDwarf wrote:As long as you have more than 4 players, there will be at least one random raffle ticket awarded.

The more players you have, the more random raffle tickets are awarded.
Which still doesn't solve the issue of dominant players, who are probably least likely to need whatever's in the raffles, getting boatloads of tickets for winning while everyone else gets the occasional random one (if you can draw more than 4 regularly).

There should be an option for the TD to choose who will get the automatic ticket when the tournament is created (so that everyone will know how it will be assigned): first place, last place, random, etc.
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 -  
Architect
nobthehobbit wrote:There should be an option for the TD to choose who will get the automatic ticket when the tournament is created (so that everyone will know how it will be assigned): first place, last place, random, etc.
+1. The CC didn't dictate how raffle ticket prizes were assigned before, I see no reason why they *have* to now. Just make ticket assignments part of the T.D. duties upon entering the results. Problem solved.

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
LORE wrote:
nobthehobbit wrote:There should be an option for the TD to choose who will get the automatic ticket when the tournament is created (so that everyone will know how it will be assigned): first place, last place, random, etc.
+1. The CC didn't dictate how raffle ticket prizes were assigned before, I see no reason why they *have* to now. Just make ticket assignments part of the T.D. duties upon entering the results. Problem solved.
Personally I have no problem with all but one of them going to a random participant, just that the TD should be able to choose how the guaranteed ticket will go. Why should TDs who previously reserved a ticket for players who would probably most need the stuff being given away be forced to give a ticket to someone who probably has less need for it?

Like I said, though, don't make it a choice when the results are entered, make it a choice when the tournament is created, so that everyone knows going in. If a TD really thinks a player is tanking to get a ticket, that can be handled separately, probably within the group.
Shipping Manager
By SirDan (Dan Hamman)
 - Shipping Manager
 -  
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
When we were hashing out the details of this project, the idea of allowing the TD to assign ticket winners was considered. In the end, the desire to eliminate work for the TD (and preclude errors) and make everything as automated as possible won out.

That said, the benefit of having multiple raffles per year is that we can evaluate the system more often. It is possible to implement changes after the first iteration.
Question for noob

You can use Defend Homeworld instead of Quark's[…]

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]

Hey all, we are running a "Warum-up" fo[…]