By Iron Mike
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
1E Australian National Runner-Up 2015
2E Australian National Runner-Up 2015
Yeah. I didn't know until recently how raffles actually worked. So I'd been accumulating tickets for a while, assuming that they automatically went into the draws. So for this one I dumped them all over the place.

By Maelwys (Chris Lobban)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
Yeah, it's all about how you spend your tickets.
There were a bunch of bins with only 4-5 tickets in them, 2 of which were Ken's. So not really surprising that he won a few of those, when he had a 50% shot at each one. If somebody has a lot of tickets and spreads them around into a lot of draws, they have a chance of winning a lot of prizes. If somebody else takes all of their tickets and puts them all in the same bin, they have a good chance of winning that bin, but no chance of winning more than one bins.

As to how the tickets are selected... it's a single line SQL command. It grabs a ticket number from the table, filtered for only the tickets in that bin that haven't won already, ORDER BY RAND() LIMIT 0,1. It doesn't take into account anything else regarding who owned the ticket, or how many other bins they put tickets into, or anything of that sort (as I'd seen speculated in the chat room at the time).
Ambassador
By T-Ricks (Rick Kinney)
 - Ambassador
 -  
SirDan wrote:If we had another special bin, would there be interest in rules for that bin that don't allow a person to put in more than one ticket? Not saying it is a good idea (or will happen) but I'm curious.

Dan
That might be an interesting concept. At least that way everyone that entered would have the same chance at the prize. Why not give it a try? :thumbsup:

By JamesValEson (Barry Windschitl)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
SirDan wrote:If we had another special bin, would there be interest in rules for that bin that don't allow a person to put in more than one ticket? Not saying it is a good idea (or will happen) but I'm curious.

Dan
That would be something to try. I'm not sure what the criteria would be for such a bin, but it could be hashed out.

BDubs

By Maelwys (Chris Lobban)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
eberlems wrote:Does anyone know how many were spent?
Yes.

;-)

There were 948 tickets entered into the bins for the most recent raffle. That is the second highest number of raffle tickets entered into a single raffle (the highest was 1090 back in 2013 Third Quarter).

By Worf Son of Mogh (Kenneth Tufts)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
The Traveler
1E North American Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E North American Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E Canadian National Runner-Up 2023
2E Canadian National Runner-Up 2023
Maelwys wrote:
Yes.

;-)

There were 948 tickets entered into the bins for the most recent raffle. That is the second highest number of raffle tickets entered into a single raffle (the highest was 1090 back in 2013 Third Quarter).
Which shows averages work, I had 16.5% of the tickets in the raffle and won 17.7% of the bins, that's pretty close to perfect odds.

By arjan242
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Worf Son of Mogh wrote:
Maelwys wrote:
Yes.

;-)

Which shows averages work, I had 16.5% of the tickets in the raffle and won 17.7% of the bins, that's pretty close to perfect odds.
That's about 160 tickets you were able to put in the bins! No wonder putting all my 12 tickets in got me nothing.

By chompers (Steve Hartmann)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
1E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
2E Australian Continental Semi-Finalist 2019
Worf Son of Mogh wrote:
arjan242 wrote: That's about 160 tickets you were able to put in the bins! No wonder putting all my 12 tickets in got me nothing.
156, support yoour local TrekCC with more premium memberships then you need. :)
Sneaky
Question for noob

To his location (but anywhere at that location - p[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]

Hey all, we are running a "Warum-up" fo[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the f[…]