You've played at the local, regional, and continental levels. Are you ready to take on the best in the world? Find out all the details about the 2021 World Championships, taking place in Chicago.
  • 92 posts

By ntimmons (Neil Timmons)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Fritzinger wrote:Attendance tease: 2e day 1 is the biggest event of the year.

More then 24 players?!?! How many of them are ranked greater then 1600? More to the point, how many players have played in 10 or more, 20 or more or 30 or more tournaments?!?!

are you setting records left and right this year?!?
North American OP Coordinator
By The Ninja Scot (Michael Van Breemen)
 - North American OP Coordinator
 -  
1E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E World Champion 2023
Tribbles World Champion 2022
The Traveler
1E North American Continental Champion 2023
2E North American Continental Champion 2023
  Trek Masters 1E Champion 2024
1E American National Champion 2023
1E Canadian National Champion 2023
2E Canadian National Champion 2023
2E  National Runner-Up 2023
2E American National Second Runner-Up 2023
1E Ferenginar Regional Champion 2024
2E Ferenginar Regional Champion 2024
ntimmons wrote:

More then 24 players?!?! How many of them are ranked greater then 1600? More to the point, how many players have played in 10 or more, 20 or more or 30 or more tournaments?!?!

36 players.
9 players based on pre-registered list (out of 18) but that is honestly irrelevant because anytime that there's 36 players in any Trek tournament is a win.
Don't know as there's half the field that's not pre-registered.

So overall, it's a win.

Michael,
who both likes and hates byes at the same time
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
ntimmons wrote:

In my personal opinion, this post is a very, very, very low blow; disrespectful would be too kind to what's been said here. Attacking the participants of this event in any way is pointless. Any time people gather to play this game we should be celebrating, especially when thirty-six (36!) people do. Does their rating really matter? Because it shouldn't.

This speaks very highly of the work done by the team putting this event together. I am sure that everyone there is having a fantastic experience, playing some great Trek, no matter what anyone here things (no matter who they are). I am proud of all of you, and all the people that have worked so hard to get such a great event off the ground.

-crp

By Honest
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E Australian Continental Champion 2019
ntimmons wrote:

WOW...from the deputy chair of the CC no less, condescending comments trying to undermine a fantastic result. Gives me motivation to continue to bust my balls making decks and showing newbies how to play this game. Not comments I would expect from the cool, fun guy I met and hung out with in Frankfurt 2010. These comments seem to be made from a bitter person hoping for a fall, only to see success. And be irked by it

There is one rainbow in the above comments that I will enjoy for a long time. That is Mr Deputy, that the way TREK in Europe and the US is travelling lately, that an event with 37 players will probably the best attended TREK event in the world from this point on. Whenever worlds rolls around, wherever it is, this weekends 37 will be the number the organisers will have to match, and as numbers around the world drop chances are they won't.

Australia had 37 players this weekend. Sydney has a ton of new players. 37+ people have had a fantastic time

Suck on that, then try to beat it

Honest
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Honest wrote:WOW...from the deputy chair of the CC no less, condescending comments trying to undermine a fantastic result.
To be perfectly, 100% clear: Neil's post and opinion on this matter does not in any way represent the official opinion of the CC. It is his opinion alone, regrettable as it seems to be.

-crp

By monty42 (Benjamin Liebich)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
Chancellor
2E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E German National Champion 2022
Honest wrote:WOW...from the deputy chair of the CC no less, condescending comments trying to undermine a fantastic result. Gives me motivation to continue to bust my balls making decks and showing newbies how to play this game. Not comments I would expect from the cool, fun guy I met and hung out with in Frankfurt 2010. These comments seem to be made from a bitter person hoping for a fall, only to see success. And be irked by it

There is one rainbow in the above comments that I will enjoy for a long time. That is Mr Deputy, that the way TREK in Europe and the US is travelling lately, that an event with 37 players will probably the best attended TREK event in the world from this point on. Whenever worlds rolls around, wherever it is, this weekends 37 will be the number the organisers will have to match, and as numbers around the world drop chances are they won't.

Australia had 37 players this weekend. Sydney has a ton of new players. 37+ people have had a fantastic time

Honest
While I do share your anger about Neil's unfortunate comment (a comment which probably would force a politician in a similar position to step down from his office) and have a great deal of admiration for what you guys have been able to pull off this weekend, I would advise to try not to diminish it by rubbing it in peoples faces.

Just be proud with what you have accomplished and let the numbers speak for themselves.

(You know, until London comes around :wink: )

By Honest
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E Australian Continental Champion 2019
monty42 wrote:
Honest wrote:WOW...from the deputy chair of the CC no less, condescending comments trying to undermine a fantastic result. Gives me motivation to continue to bust my balls making decks and showing newbies how to play this game. Not comments I would expect from the cool, fun guy I met and hung out with in Frankfurt 2010. These comments seem to be made from a bitter person hoping for a fall, only to see success. And be irked by it

Honest
While I do share your anger about Neil's unfortunate comment (a comment which probably would force a politician in a similar position to step down from his office) and have a great deal of admiration for what you guys have been able to pull off this weekend, I would advise to try not to diminish it by rubbing it in peoples faces.

Just be proud with what you have accomplished and let the numbers speak for themselves.

(You know, until London comes around :wink: )
Sorry, some context. I was telling Neil to suck on it and try to beat it. Unlike him, I wish ALL Trek communities well, and am trying to organise and encourage a bunch of Aussies to make it to London for 2016. I sincerely hope 2016 Worlds in London gets at least 36 players :)

Honest

By monty42 (Benjamin Liebich)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
Chancellor
2E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E German National Champion 2022
Honest wrote:Sorry, some context. I was telling Neil to suck on it and try to beat it. Unlike him, I wish ALL Trek communities well, and am trying to organise and encourage a bunch of Aussies to make it to London for 2016. I sincerely hope 2016 Worlds in London gets at least 36 players :)

Honest
No worries mate. Hope to meet you there. :)

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
I don't agree with Neil's tone and approach, and I'm sure the Aussies are putting on a quality weekend for everyone.

However, looking at the Day 1 results, I see that only 23 out of 37 (62%) players completed all eight rounds, and of the other 14, several dropped after three rounds. Also, two players entered in round 3 and dropped immediately afterwards.

It's always good to see new names on the tournament results screen and I encourage all of them to participate more in the future. But based on the total missed games across all players (72 MGs total), effective attendance was more like 28 than 37 from a games played perspective. I offer this fact for people doing after-action analysis.

My takeaways:

1.) Australia has a rapidly growing player base that they should be proud of and runs quality events

2.) The top line attendance numbers might not be the best indicator of overall tournament impact given the high percentage of incomplete sheets (38%) and the number of missed games (72 --> 9 Full Players). These factors should probably considered in any post-Worlds analysis.

By chompers (Steve Hartmann)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
1E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
2E Australian Continental Semi-Finalist 2019
Brian please refrain from posting here. This is not the place for post event analysis.

i am disgusted by the actions of some members of this community and frankly makes we want to have no part of it.

Imagine me analysing the success of a high level event whilst it was running.

Time to celebrate this game .. The finals are close to beginning and updates will follow provided the destructive force of this community stays out of this thread. I elected to not post yesterday due to my anger at Neil which had a significant impact on my capacity to run this event successfully yesterday.

I will save the rest of my post event analysis for after the vent and it will not be pretty.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Moderator Note: Additional posts moved over from the Worlds results thread to disaggregate the attendance discussion.

By chompers (Steve Hartmann)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
1E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
2E Australian Continental Semi-Finalist 2019
I'd like to apologise to armus for my comments. Thank you to the moderators for splitting the thread. :thumbsup:

@Rancour@gmx.de @Gul Dakar Florian gets the F[…]

An unlimited deck size might be one, from the orig[…]

Deck Design Strategy

And just to add to the overall discussion, coming […]

MN 2024 Gatherings

28th it is. 1E Event is up: https://www.trekcc.or[…]