You've played at the local, regional, and continental levels. Are you ready to take on the best in the world? Find out all the details about the 2021 World Championships, taking place in Chicago.
  • 92 posts

By KillerB (John Corbett)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
Community Contributor
Worf Son of Mogh wrote:
Soooo since the US has 10 times the population of Australia, lets see them draw 10 times the players for the next worlds here...

As some one who has attended multiple worlds, (every year starting 2011), I have to say that the Aussies have imo put on an amazing event both times, the atmosphere is GREAT, the players are great, the competition is stiff, and the prizes have been amazing. I would go so far as to say i think the two Aussie worlds have been the most enjoyable well run worlds i have been to.

Also BONUS of going down under for worlds is since your already playing or the plane ticket why not extend your stay and visit a premier vacation destination.
The first part is silly. The second part is true, but doesn't require a Worlds. The last part is easy to say when you're a single guy without kids.

I understand where you're coming from Ken, I would be over-the-moon happy with whatever location provided the chance to be World Champion by beating two local players and 35 zombies. :?

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Resistance-is-futile wrote:
KillerB wrote:
Fritzinger wrote:
4. To KB: I respect your commitment to the game, you travel a lot, you got your whole family involved and you shout at people for cheating. But if you believe you could get 37 together for a Corbett Worlds then prove it with actual numbers at real tournaments.
I'm not an organized play director who can put Worlds Championships in my backyard.

I was running 17 person Thursday Night Trek while your country was still under Apartheid. I don't think my credentials as a promoter are in dispute. My like is a little different these days Chappie, I'm rogue now. I just want to travel this great country and play Trek with cool people.
John this is a new low for yah man don't bring up that kind of negative about someone's residence
It's also historically incorrect. Apartheid ended in April 1994, approximately six months before 1e BB Premiere was released.

But why let facts stand in the way of a 'good' rant? :P

-  
Architect
Community Contributor
Resistance-is-futile wrote:
John this is a new low for yah man don't bring up that kind of negative about someone's residence
Justin, you've been only playing trek for a few years. This ain't even close to my low.

I get it, you Seattle people had a good vacation. Fine. That doesn't take away from my points or take away from your trip.

BTW... I'd take a little Apartheid before the weather in Seattle.

-  
Architect
Community Contributor
Armus wrote:
It's also historically incorrect. Apartheid ended in April 1994, approximately six months before 1e BB Premiere was released.

But why let facts stand in the way of a 'good' rant? :P
You people fact checking jokes now? I thought it was pretty obvious.

You people are fun vampires.

By Wedge772 (Matthew Ting)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Adventurer
1E Australian National Champion 2015
Honest wrote: My feedback from this years worlds was that 8 rounds, as awesome for hard core players as it is, is too long. With numbers as they are (30's and 40's) 6 rounds of swiss would be oodles to cut to a top 16, AND have enough TREK for all who played. At the 4pm mark we were just commencing round 5. That is ball busting for anyone
+1. I'd have thought 6 rounds and a cut to top 8, same as 1E, could have been enough. Someone better at math can check whether that would result in a solid result.

8 rounds is also the reason why so many new players dropped. You can't expect people who are not hardcore committed to the game to hang around for an 8 round tournament.
AllenGould wrote: To answer my own question, I thought the whole idea of Worlds went down the tubes when Decipher stopped paying for flights, and thus, changing the criteria from "we brought in the best from around the world" to "we ran an event and if you could afford to show up you could play". So as long as the folks who showed up had fun, I'm not so concerned with the rest.
Very true. Given that nobody is paying for flights anymore, Worlds rotation is the best idea the CC ever had. I still feel that NACC and Worlds at GenCon are anachronisms, but that's a discussion for the North Americans to hold. NACC in Minnesota makes a lot of sense to me, as an outsider. I wouldn't fly overseas for Trek Worlds at GenCon, but I'm considering London 2016.

KillerB wrote: Ken is my boy, and I'm not taking this from him. All you can do is play it where they put it. But it's nice to know I (or a whole lot of other people) could've bought a Worlds Title for $2,500.
Also very true. I don't think the camera caught it, but there was a moment where Ken handed me a sealed envelope under the table during the 1E final. It was either that, or I was reminded I had no business being at a top table as an Aussie, I can't remember which.

By Iron Mike
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
1E Australian National Runner-Up 2015
2E Australian National Runner-Up 2015
Locked pending review.
Ambassador
By bosskamiura (Thomas Kamiura)
 - Ambassador
 -  
Community Contributor
My opinion?

THIS WAS THE SOFTEST WORLDS FIELD TO DATE.

Its almost laughable. How many that made day 2 on the 2e side were above 1700 going into it?

Who is this "Matts1"? Was Worlds really his first time playing and he made day 2? Did I read that right?

It really has become which ever North American or European player wants to spend the money to buy the ticket (read: World Championship)...

TK
Last edited by bosskamiura on Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

By Mogor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Bosskamiura wrote:My opinion?

...THIS WAS THE SOFTEST WORLDS FIELD TO DATE.

Its almost laughable. How many that made day 2 on the 2e side were above 1700 going into it?

Who is this "Matts1"? Was Worlds really his first time playing and he made day 2? Did I read that right?

TK
Personally I ignore rating, there's been several threads on why rating is pointless.
Ambassador
By bosskamiura (Thomas Kamiura)
 - Ambassador
 -  
Community Contributor
Mogor wrote:Personally I ignore rating, there's been several threads on why rating is pointless.
Its still indicative of how often one wins. You cant be a consistantly winning player and be below 1500. Its also became "convenient" as a player who is lower ranked to disregard or hold no stock in ratings.

TK

By Mogor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Bosskamiura wrote:
Mogor wrote:Personally I ignore rating, there's been several threads on why rating is pointless.
Its still indicative of how often one wins. You cant be a consistantly winning player and be below 1500. Its also become "convenient" as a player who is lower ranked to disregard or hold no stock in ratings.

TK
It really depends on what your focused on. Achievement hunt tends to hammer rating. The rating system for trek has been discussed to death about its inaccuracy's and its failures. It depends on your activity level with whatever's being rated. Short summary is rating is only a general guideline, it can never be used as more then a rough outline of things. Since I came back to the game after a significant break in 2e, I had my re-learning curve at a very expensive rating point area. I've had my high point at a bit over 1650 with the 2e rating and at some point, I'll care enough about ranking in a no longer commercially produced game to only play decks that I know I'll win the majority with. Fun is greater then Rating to me. Cool decks are more fun then Boring Decks that will always win.

It also fails to take into account the local playgroup. You are improved by the folks you play with. Part of why I love the Dojo, gives me a challenge. Not so great for my rating as 1e interaction decks are not easy for a new player to the 1e gameworld to handle.

The elo system especially fails to accurately represent the hardness of a field where a lot of players are in their first year of playing the game.

Last point is through no fault of the CC, worlds may not be the place to find the toughest field. As mentioned prior this really occurred when Decipher stopped paying for flights and costs to attend Worlds. The only way to get the majority of all the top players together would be to use an online venue. There is no one location that can get them all.
First Edition Creative Manager
By KazonPADD (Paddy Tye)
 - First Edition Creative Manager
 -  
1E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E Omarion Nebula Regional Champion 2024
Bosskamiura wrote: Who is this "Matts1"? Was Worlds really his first time playing and he made day 2? Did I read that right?
Worlds 2012 (1E) - Runner up was the at-that-time-unranked Matt Ting. He's a world class player, so don't assume that unranked = walkover!

By Mogor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
KazonPADD wrote:
Bosskamiura wrote: Who is this "Matts1"? Was Worlds really his first time playing and he made day 2? Did I read that right?
Worlds 2012 (1E) - Runner up was the at-that-time-unranked Matt Ting. He's a world class player, so don't assume that unranked = walkover!
Both finals for World's were played by players that are undeniably world class

I think the scenario was more around things li[…]

South Dakota Regional May 18th

Is there any interest from the greater area to com[…]

Thanks all. I have my handle as my name, I didn&rs[…]

Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during a […]