You've played at the local, regional, and continental levels. Are you ready to take on the best in the world? Find out all the details about the 2021 World Championships, taking place in Chicago.

By karonofborg13 (Matthew Hayes)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Architect
Hey Ken, DoOP, MVB NACC,

I know Worlds 2016 is still almost two months away, but, I hereby respectfully request that the information on next year's Worlds weekend be made public absolutely as soon as possible, please.

It will be in the U.S., right? Perhaps, Orlando, after their respectable showing of Continentals a few short weeks ago.

For those of us who have families and would like to plan a trip around both the card games and say family time/vacation to oh Disney/Universal, we need as much leeway to plan and save the appropriate financial matters.

Thank you.

-Matthew

By nickyank
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E World Semi-Finalist 2023
2E British National Champion 2021
And it would be good if Worlds was late August before the kids go back to school for those of us planning to bring a junior Trek player from overseas. If it's in Orlando, that is, I wouldn't drag her to Indiana...

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
nickyank wrote:And it would be good if Worlds was late August before the kids go back to school for those of us planning to bring a junior Trek player from overseas. If it's in Orlando, that is, I wouldn't drag her to Indiana...
Orlando generally gets cheaper once tourist season ends. Plus GenCon is August 17-20, so if we're NOT having Worlds there, we should have Worlds after GenCon so we can have a Worlds run up event at GenCon.

My vote is Columbus Day Weekend. It makes the travel schedule easier when you have a Monday holiday to backstop a full weekend of events.

We should also probably ask the Orlando guys if they even want to run Worlds before we just make the assumption...

By Mogor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote:
nickyank wrote:And it would be good if Worlds was late August before the kids go back to school for those of us planning to bring a junior Trek player from overseas. If it's in Orlando, that is, I wouldn't drag her to Indiana...
Orlando generally gets cheaper once tourist season ends. Plus GenCon is August 17-20, so if we're NOT having Worlds there, we should have Worlds after GenCon so we can have a Worlds run up event at GenCon.

My vote is Columbus Day Weekend. It makes the travel schedule easier when you have a Monday holiday to backstop a full weekend of events.

We should also probably ask the Orlando guys if they even want to run Worlds before we just make the assumption...
Fair point on the asking, but at least based on turn out, Orlando and over towards the Dakota's seem the top two options for US based locations for worlds.
Director of Communications
By OKCoyote (Daniel Matteson)
 - Director of Communications
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
For my part, I am absolutely open to a major event of some kind, whatever is offered, and I think Rick and Sean would too though I can't speak for them.

However even if we are offered something, the tenuous nature of our partnership with the venue means we may not have the luxury of setting dates this far in advance. (If Magic decides to release a set during the dates we set, we lose our venue.)

Just something to keep in mind.
Ambassador
By T-Ricks (Rick Kinney)
 - Ambassador
 -  
I'm definitely on board for any future events the CC wants to have here in Orlando. Like Daniel said, it would all depend on Eric's schedule at the store as to what dates would be available though. Although, he now has two stores so perhaps there will be more options than in the past.
Last edited by T-Ricks on Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By nickyank
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E World Semi-Finalist 2023
2E British National Champion 2021
Armus wrote:Orlando generally gets cheaper once tourist season ends. Plus GenCon is August 17-20, so if we're NOT having Worlds there, we should have Worlds after GenCon so we can have a Worlds run up event at GenCon
Yes, it does get cheaper, but for anyone planning a holiday with family it makes it so much more complicated out of the summer holidays. Did you know parents get fined in the UK for taking their kids on holiday during term time? But even in the tourist season it's far cheaper then Gencon.

Gencon had a great run, I've been there many times, but there are better options now.
Armus wrote:My vote is Columbus Day Weekend. It makes the travel schedule easier when you have a Monday holiday to backstop a full weekend of events.
I have no idea when Columbus Day is. In the UK we have a holiday weekend on the last Monday in August. That would be good for the UK. However, Brian, we're talking about Worlds, so the dates need to be the best to suit ALL players. And the biggest selling point of Orlando vs. Gencon is you can take your family and combine the event with a proper vacation!

Wait, I've just looked up Colombus Day... Second Monday in October? That might work for an event John wants to run in Texas.

Here's my ideal itinerary of events in 2017 (and this is purely selfish, I admit, and means nothing as I'm not in OP)

European Continentals 2017, Denmark, July (give them a bloody chance, already!)
North American Continentals 2017, Orlando, August
Worlds 2017, Texas, October/early November
UK Nationals, Essex, late November.

I would travel to ALL these events. C'mon Ken, make it happen...

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
If Corbett is hosting Worlds I'm all for this. I thought he was trying to cut his teeth with a Masters though....

By Smiley (Cristoffer Wiker)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
i think The october date is The same as Spiel in Essen, The worlds largest game convetion. Many europeans go there (just saying)

By Jono (Sean O'Reilly)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Pioneer
1E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
Smiley wrote:i think The october date is The same as Spiel in Essen, The worlds largest game convetion. Many europeans go there (just saying)
The 2017 Spiel convention is October 26-29

By Worf Son of Mogh (Kenneth Tufts)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
The Traveler
1E North American Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E North American Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E Canadian National Runner-Up 2023
2E Canadian National Runner-Up 2023
I am already working on 2017 planning and will have general location and ruff timing window, (2 month window give or take a week), announced before worlds this year. Specific Dates have to wait until any location can confirm venues and most venues we deal with will not book over a year in advance, we aren’t a HUGE organization Like Gen-Con that can pre book an entire city for 5 years in advance.

By Smiley (Cristoffer Wiker)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Jono wrote:
Smiley wrote:i think The october date is The same as Spiel in Essen, The worlds largest game convetion. Many europeans go there (just saying)
The 2017 Spiel convention is October 26-29
Not that the date have to be on the same weekend as many can't afford to travel to more than one thing in any specific month. =/ but it's good that you found the specific date. don't Know what I must have been looking at.

By MrVorlon
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote:

Isn't Columbus Day just a holiday for government, schools, and banks? I really don't think everyone works for the government, schools and banks.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation

It started in mid-2013. At that time it became sta[…]