You've played at the local, regional, and continental levels. Are you ready to take on the best in the world? Find out all the details about the 2021 World Championships, taking place in Chicago.

By MrVorlon
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
MrVorlon wrote:
Armus wrote:
nickyank wrote:And it would be good if Worlds was late August before the kids go back to school for those of us planning to bring a junior Trek player from overseas. If it's in Orlando, that is, I wouldn't drag her to Indiana...
Orlando generally gets cheaper once tourist season ends. Plus GenCon is August 17-20, so if we're NOT having Worlds there, we should have Worlds after GenCon so we can have a Worlds run up event at GenCon.

My vote is Columbus Day Weekend. It makes the travel schedule easier when you have a Monday holiday to backstop a full weekend of events.

We should also probably ask the Orlando guys if they even want to run Worlds before we just make the assumption...
Isn't Columbus Day just a holiday for government, schools, and banks? I really don't think everyone works for the government, schools and banks.
And I forgot Nielsen, because apparently Nielsen thinks it is part of the government.

By Jono (Sean O'Reilly)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Pioneer
1E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
Smiley wrote:
Jono wrote:
Smiley wrote:i think The october date is The same as Spiel in Essen, The worlds largest game convetion. Many europeans go there (just saying)
The 2017 Spiel convention is October 26-29
Not that the date have to be on the same weekend as many can't afford to travel to more than one thing in any specific month. =/ but it's good that you found the specific date. don't Know what I must have been looking at.
Well the 2016 Spiel is on Columbus Day weekend so i can imagine it was easy to assume it would be in 2017 - but like GenCon it appears to vary between a four week timeframe

By Jono (Sean O'Reilly)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Pioneer
MrVorlon wrote:
Armus wrote:
nickyank wrote:And it would be good if Worlds was late August before the kids go back to school for those of us planning to bring a junior Trek player from overseas. If it's in Orlando, that is, I wouldn't drag her to Indiana...
Orlando generally gets cheaper once tourist season ends. Plus GenCon is August 17-20, so if we're NOT having Worlds there, we should have Worlds after GenCon so we can have a Worlds run up event at GenCon.

My vote is Columbus Day Weekend. It makes the travel schedule easier when you have a Monday holiday to backstop a full weekend of events.

We should also probably ask the Orlando guys if they even want to run Worlds before we just make the assumption...
Isn't Columbus Day just a holiday for government, schools, and banks? I really don't think everyone works for the government, schools and banks.
Yes. Most people don't get Columbus Day off - but one person suggested it as an option because they could take their kids to Disney....

By karonofborg13 (Matthew Hayes)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Architect
nickyank wrote:
Yes, it does get cheaper, but for anyone planning a holiday with family it makes it so much more complicated out of the summer holidays.
But even in the tourist season it's far cheaper then Gencon.

Worlds, so the dates need to be the best to suit ALL players. And the biggest selling point of Orlando vs. Gencon is you can take your family and combine the event with a proper vacation
Agree with the above Nick posted. Whether Orlando may or may not be the site of 2017 Worlds (hopefully, though :cross: ), the events themselves ought to happen sometime between July 6th and August 27th, 2017 so that something along these lines can offer the combined opportunity of Trek gaming and family/travelers outside the U.S. vacation plans.

I know there's a mentality to do Worlds after whatever Gen Con hosts, but, does that really have to be the case? I think not. Timing is crucial for the greatest turnout and should be paramount for as many considered/interested parties.

And the dates do need to be issued as early as possible to maximize people's plans (both scheduling and financial aspects).

I do understand (at least partially/in your theory) that venues don't generally like to book events a year out, but, in most cases, that is absolute bunkum. It's a fairly hollow excuse regarding poor planning. I mean, I can understand moreso about Comic Book/Gaming Stores that have to beholden to Magic's whims (et al), but, hotels with community rooms and venues as such certainly love to have events booked as much as possible.

As one of the Floridians stated, Eric now has two stores and perhaps with the success of the Continentals events a few weeks ago, (I'll admit I can't speak for him, as I'm not him) maybe just maybe, he'd likely be willing to provide one of the two sites for us, you know? (if not in full, then, half?) I know that'll be Rick/Sean/Daniel's area to work up the details, if they are so interested, of course.

Ken, your reply post is good, thank you for it, but, please, please, get the info out a.s.a.p. so those of us with extreme interest and serious desire to attend can do so. Thank you.

-Matthew

By flrazor (Jeremy Benedict)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
karonofborg13 wrote:Whether Orlando may or may not be the site of 2017 Worlds (hopefully, though :cross: ), the events themselves ought to happen sometime between July 6th and August 27th, 2017 so that something along these lines can offer the combined opportunity of Trek gaming and family/travelers outside the U.S. vacation plans.

I know there's a mentality to do Worlds after whatever Gen Con hosts, but, does that really have to be the case? I think not. Timing is crucial for the greatest turnout and should be paramount for as many considered/interested parties.

And the dates do need to be issued as early as possible to maximize people's plans (both scheduling and financial aspects).
The location announcement/preliminary scheduling of a window for the next Worlds is done no later than Worlds of the current year. Beyond that it is up to the organizers who have to make all the arrangements and secure venues to get the final dates and times based on what is available and when they get confirmations back from their venues and/or other event planners. Worlds comes after Regionals and the three Continentals, but otherwise it doesn't have to be "after whatever GenCon hosts", especially if GenCon is not hosting a Continental (or World) event.
karonofborg13 wrote:I do understand (at least partially/in your theory) that venues don't generally like to book events a year out, but, in most cases, that is absolute bunkum. It's a fairly hollow excuse regarding poor planning. I mean, I can understand moreso about Comic Book/Gaming Stores that have to beholden to Magic's whims (et al), but, hotels with community rooms and venues as such certainly love to have events booked as much as possible.

As one of the Floridians stated, Eric now has two stores and perhaps with the success of the Continentals events a few weeks ago, (I'll admit I can't speak for him, as I'm not him) maybe just maybe, he'd likely be willing to provide one of the two sites for us, you know? (if not in full, then, half?) I know that'll be Rick/Sean/Daniel's area to work up the details, if they are so interested, of course.
I can respond as someone that has been involved in booking several CC events, both at game stores and hotels, and your assumption is incorrect. Out of the 4 hotels I have worked with in our area trying to book events (3 are major national/international chains), only one of those will reserve a space a year in advance - either meeting space or guest rooms. It varies a lot between different companies. Even after booking and singing contract for the last event I ran, turnover in the sales and event team at the hotel almost had our event fall through the cracks had I not made contact (in person in this case) three days before the event to make sure that they had everything and didn't need more information in advance. The reservation was intact, but they would not have had the room prepared/furniture available if I hadn't checked ahead. Things happen, people can make mistakes, and not everyone has policies that "make sense" with regards to event booking. While others might have better luck with hotels than I did, this is actual experience I can share rather than conjecture.

I have been scheduled and bumped from gaming locations on multiple locations, even ones with which I had very good relationships with the owners. Business is the bottom line - if a major event/release for a game that they can sell comes up (often on less notice than a year, see Magic's release schedules and when announcements for these are made) it would be bad business for them to prioritize the health of the business over even good relationships with people using their space. I know you experienced this at your Regionals this year and had to change venue less than 24 hours before scheduled start due to a major DBZ event.

By Honest
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
2E Australian Continental Champion 2019
OKCoyote wrote:

However even if we are offered something, the tenuous nature of our partnership with the venue means we may not have the luxury of setting dates this far in advance. (If Magic decides to release a set during the dates we set, we lose our venue.)

Just something to keep in mind.
Unless something changes dramatically with WOTC scheduling or Hasbro's budget, MTG releases are usually

Late Jan
mid April
Mid July
End Sept

Miss those months and you should be clean (of MTG at least)

Good luck

Honest
Director of Communications
By OKCoyote (Daniel Matteson)
 - Director of Communications
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
You would think. But then they announce Eternal Masters, a new Conspiracy, more Commander decks, and more Duel Decks, all over the summer and fall and most with release events.

By Jono (Sean O'Reilly)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Pioneer
Honest wrote:
OKCoyote wrote:

However even if we are offered something, the tenuous nature of our partnership with the venue means we may not have the luxury of setting dates this far in advance. (If Magic decides to release a set during the dates we set, we lose our venue.)

Just something to keep in mind.
Unless something changes dramatically with WOTC scheduling or Hasbro's budget, MTG releases are usually

Late Jan
mid April
Mid July
End Sept

Miss those months and you should be clean (of MTG at least)

Good luck

Honest
The issue isn't just when the weekend the set releases it is the weekend before which is pre-release weekend and the weekend after which is tournament weekend (when the cards are legal to use). That is a 3-week block you have to avoid.

That was the one of the MAJOR reasons this year North American Continentals was in June - we had to avoid a likely Magic release in July. When we scheduled the event the Magic lineup had not come out yet (and wouldn't for month) we were only guessing when a Magic set would release (we ended up being correct).

By nickyank
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E World Semi-Finalist 2023
2E British National Champion 2021
flrazor wrote:I can respond as someone that has been involved in booking several CC events, both at game stores and hotels, and your assumption is incorrect. Out of the 4 hotels I have worked with in our area trying to book events (3 are major national/international chains), only one of those will reserve a space a year in advance - either meeting space or guest rooms.
And I can back Jeremy up on this one. When looking for a venue in London, I struggled getting a quotation for a venue 12 months in advance, let alone a confirmed booking. The ones that do bookings over a year in advance will charge full rate, and won't negotiate. We can't afford London prices without negotiation! I always wanted the CC to give us details 18 months in advance, but I now think it's reasonable to say 10 months for the venue.

This is the reason we announced it would be in London long before we announced the actual venue.

By Worf Son of Mogh (Kenneth Tufts)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
The Traveler
1E North American Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E North American Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E Canadian National Runner-Up 2023
2E Canadian National Runner-Up 2023
nickyank wrote:
flrazor wrote:I can respond as someone that has been involved in booking several CC events, both at game stores and hotels, and your assumption is incorrect. Out of the 4 hotels I have worked with in our area trying to book events (3 are major national/international chains), only one of those will reserve a space a year in advance - either meeting space or guest rooms.
And I can back Jeremy up on this one. When looking for a venue in London, I struggled getting a quotation for a venue 12 months in advance, let alone a confirmed booking. The ones that do bookings over a year in advance will charge full rate, and won't negotiate. We can't afford London prices without negotiation! I always wanted the CC to give us details 18 months in advance, but I now think it's reasonable to say 10 months for the venue.

This is the reason we announced it would be in London long before we announced the actual venue.
I will third this I have been in my past involved with several events that need to book space, (local gaming cons.), not remotely the main booking person BUT involved enough to know what was going on and yes it is near impossible to book even a year out, and when you do you often have to pay a premium to do this.

I like to plan my worlds trips as EARLY as possible for some of them it REALLY helps me to know a full 13 months out because I want to book accommodations through my time share, so I'm very cognoscenti of getting the dates out as EARLY as we can, and will do my best to help this happen, but once again we are not a huge entity with lots a tone of cash at our disposal so we have to work with what we have, our local event hosts are often putting large amounts, (hundreds or more), of their own money in early and hoping they get payed back at least in part from the entrance fees only well after the fact, this is the limitations we work with, i think the CC and our local host players/TD have done VERY well at this all things considered.

For a ruff out line for people talking about dates This is the general guild line for OP events calendar.
Regional season: April-June.
Continentals season: July-August.
Worlds season: September-October.
League: Nov-Dec, Jan-Feb, March-April.
Nationals/Masters Year round.
These are the general ruff guidelines and have some flex if needed, however you can expect most events to fall with in those windows give or take a week.

-Ken
DoOP

Hey all, we are running a "Warum-up" fo[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the f[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the f[…]

1EFQ: Game of two halves

Or maybe keep your unsolicited snark to yo[…]