You've played at the local, regional, and continental levels. Are you ready to take on the best in the world? Find out all the details about the 2021 World Championships, taking place in Chicago.

By Jono (Sean O'Reilly)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Pioneer
1E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
Resistance-is-futile wrote:;O not doing 8 rounds for 2e?
Not unless we get enough players to require it.
Director of Communications
By OKCoyote (Daniel Matteson)
 - Director of Communications
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
Everything is subject to change depending on how many players sign up. Right now the plan is six rounds 2E, five rounds 1E, and both games cutting to top 8. More rounds (and a top 16 day 2) are certainly possible but would probably require a LOT of players.

By Worf Son of Mogh (Kenneth Tufts)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
The Traveler
1E North American Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E North American Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E Canadian National Runner-Up 2023
2E Canadian National Runner-Up 2023
OKCoyote wrote:
Everything is subject to change depending on how many players sign up. Right now the plan is six rounds 2E, five rounds 1E, and both games cutting to top 8. More rounds (and a top 16 day 2) are certainly possible but would probably require a LOT of players.
NOTE: because day two is Swiss if numbers are appropriate we can cut to top 10 top 12 etc, (4 rounds of course in those cases), we are not beholden to the exponentials of 2 required for bracketed elimination day twos.
 -  
The "Mystery Sealed" First Edition event scheduled for Sunday morning has finally received an official format - it will be a Voyager Warp Speed sealed event!

By sexecutioner (Niall Matthew)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E World Runner-Up 2023
1E European Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
1E British National Second Runner-Up 2023
OKCoyote wrote:The "Mystery Sealed" First Edition event scheduled for Sunday morning has finally received an official format - it will be a Voyager Warp Speed sealed event!
Yay! :D
 -  
sexecutioner wrote:
OKCoyote wrote:The "Mystery Sealed" First Edition event scheduled for Sunday morning has finally received an official format - it will be a Voyager Warp Speed sealed event!
Yay! :D
I thought you'd like that. I didn't have Voyager product on hand when I first made the schedule, but now I do.
 -  
RAINBOW SEALED!

More changes made to the event schedule! In First Edition, we've shuffled the sealed events around a little (plus added one), and made one change to the Second Edition side events lineup.

[SD] Thursday, 1E: The Voyager Warp Speed event has moved to Thursday (replacing the OTSD event that evening).

[SD] Friday, 2E: The Virtual Starter side event has been replaced with a public playtest event for Project Excelsior. This tournament is not yet in the system but we should have it listed with additional details soon.

[SD] Saturday, 1E: The OTSD event has moved to Saturday afternoon, replacing the TNG Block Sealed event.

[SD] Sunday, 1E: We've added Rainbow Sealed to the schedule! (This replaces the Voyager Warp Speed event, which moves to Thursday.)

By monty42 (Benjamin Liebich)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
Chancellor
2E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E German National Champion 2022
From a personal preference standpoint, I'd love to have some sort of elimination for the finals. Whether that's best of three, double elimination or somehing else I don't care.
I just hate championships being decided by a tie-breaker (like worlds did last year) it seems far too arbitrary. If it comes down to SoS like it did last year, you may have played the tourney of your life and might end up losing because one of your early opponents decided to drop and play tribbles instead.

By Jono (Sean O'Reilly)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Pioneer
1E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
monty42 wrote:From a personal preference standpoint, I'd love to have some sort of elimination for the finals. Whether that's best of three, double elimination or somehing else I don't care.
I just hate championships being decided by a tie-breaker (like worlds did last year) it seems far too arbitrary. If it comes down to SoS like it did last year, you may have played the tourney of your life and might end up losing because one of your early opponents decided to drop and play tribbles instead.
There will be a Day 2 for both 1E and 2E Worlds. Either the top 4 or top 8 will advance to Day 2 (depending on number of players) so the Championship will most likely be decided on best player - not tiebreaker.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Chancellor
Jono wrote:
monty42 wrote:From a personal preference standpoint, I'd love to have some sort of elimination for the finals. Whether that's best of three, double elimination or somehing else I don't care.
There will be a Day 2 for both 1E and 2E Worlds. Either the top 4 or top 8 will advance to Day 2 (depending on number of players) so the Championship will most likely be decided on best player - not tiebreaker.
You may have misunderstood me. I'm aware there is a day 2. It's about the format of day 2. I'd prefer elimination over a standard 3 or 4 round tourney so you're gonna win man against man, fair and square and not on points.
I don't feel the 3-way tie in last years day 2 was an appropriate result for a world championship (nothing against the guys, each of 'em deserved it) it was too dependant on who played whom. I much rather have a clear result in such an important event.

I just want everybody to ask themselves: Is it really fair that Slaby lost the championship to MvB (even though he beat him fair and square) just because Stefan played against weaker opponents earlier on?

By Naetor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
monty42 wrote:
Jono wrote:
You may have misunderstood me. I'm aware there is a day 2. It's about the format of day 2. I'd prefer elimination over a standard 3 or 4 round tourney so you're gonna win man against man, fair and square and not on points.
I don't feel the 3-way tie in last years day 2 was an appropriate result for a world championship (nothing against the guys, each of 'em deserved it) it was too dependant on who played whom. I much rather have a clear result in such an important event.

I just want everybody to ask themselves: Is it really fair that Slaby lost the championship to MvB (even though he beat him fair and square) just because Stefan played against weaker opponents earlier on?
If he could win in time, he would have won. Instead he played a slow deck that went to time 3 out of 4 games. In the old days he would have won, and it would've been the old theme of match play being its own meta. In this case, Swiss did exactly what it was meant to do.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Chancellor
You're missing my point. It's about avoiding the tie breaker, not who played what. There's a million scenarios where they all could've played fast decks and still end up tied.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
monty42 wrote:You're missing my point. It's about avoiding the tie breaker, not who played what. There's a million scenarios where they all could've played fast decks and still end up tied.
He's not missing your point. He's responding to it. Full wins matter. You bring a deck that runs slow and pile up multiple mod wins, you risk bringing tiebreakers into play.

Besides, the best tiebreaker is head to head. Kinda hard to argue with that one, but if SoS leads to an odd man out situation, and that odd man out has multiple mod wins, one can argue he could have won outright by getting one more VP and avoiding the cluster.

If a player goes all-Full wins undefeated and STILL doesn't win an event for some reason, then I'm sympathetic to a tiebreaker gripe, but the only situation where I've seen that happen is when there aren't enough rounds for the number of players and the event ends before the top two face each other.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Chancellor
Brian, do me a favor and try to imagine the following scenario:
You're playing for the world championship, you're playing a fast deck but still end up getting some mod wins (maybe because you're playing against opponents that aren't playing particularly fast), you finish in a 3-way tie and you lose the world championship on SoS just because the first opponent you faced on the day decided he couldn't win anymore and dropped in favor of something else.
How do you feel? Honestly? Do you think that that's fair?

All I'm saying is that when it comes to championships I'm in favor of eliminaton rather than swiss.
I believe it's only fitting that when you want to call yourself the World Champion, you should have beaten everybody fair and square.
Question for noob

That's the question. The Isolinear Rods downloads […]

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]

Hey all, we are running a "Warum-up" fo[…]