You've played at the local, regional, and continental levels. Are you ready to take on the best in the world? Find out all the details about the 2021 World Championships, taking place in Chicago.

By sexecutioner (Niall Matthew)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E World Runner-Up 2023
1E European Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
1E British National Second Runner-Up 2023
Hi Guys

Trying to organise my travels when I'm at Orlando.

Can anyone who lives there help out with transport from the University area to/from the following areas:

Disneyworld
Cocoa Beach
Legoland
Airport

Many thanks for any assistance you can give

By Se7enofMine (ChadC)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Hey dude,

Just an FYI .. Im sure you have been watching the news but just watch for the hurricane that is going through Florida.

I dont know when your trip is scheduled for but if its in the next week or two .. might be bad news bears down there.

:)

Otherwise, good luck with the planning :)

By CaptMDKirk (Matt Kirk)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
Yeah I was thinking about this the other day... I mean I know we're a month out at this point, but the news I'm seeing makes it sounds like Irma could be potentially catastrophic (I'm sure there is some sensationalism in there). Have we considered what to do in case the venue is unavailable due to damage? (I know I'm putting in an inquiry to my flight provider today to see exactly what my options are if the airport isn't back on its feet by then.)
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
We're still a month out from Worlds, so I think everything will be OK. Irma's track is showing a lot of uncertainty, whether it moves along the coast or over land. The Weather Underground has a very enlightening site here.

Hurricane Jose seems to be ready to follow in Irma's wake, so it is something to watch out for later this month.

In any case, I hope the Florida crew is prepared for landfall and can shelter safely.

By Jono (Sean O'Reilly)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Pioneer
1E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
Jose will not be a problem. It is forecast to turn north and go into the open Atlantic Ocean early next week.

If Worlds was going to be held next week - it could have been a problem. My boss was living in Orlando in 2004 when Hurricane Charley struck southwest Florida and then moved inland and hit Orlando. His complex was without power for two weeks.

Unless the track changes - Orlando appears it will get hurricane-force winds but they won't be the 185mph that the Caribbean saw. It also won't get the storm surge which can be the most devastating part of a hurricane.
Ambassador
By bosskamiura (Thomas Kamiura)
 - Ambassador
 -  
Community Contributor
I lived in Ft Lauderdale/Miami for three years. Luckily now, I'm in Los Angeles.

From what all the old school Cuban aerospace mechanics told me, in tropical storms or category 1 hurricanes, it's just a heavy rainstorm (which is true I've been in a bunch).

Hurricane category 2 - 3, well you take a "vacation" to Disneyland - you leave your house. A bunch of tree branches and trash on your lawn.

Hurricane categories 4-5, you take your Disneyland vacation, the difference being your house probably won't be there when you get back. Power will be gone 10 days or more. No gasoline for generators, etc. Disaster zone.

The real damage is along the coast. All those million dollar homes along Miami beach and Ft Lauderdale intercoastal waterways will be gone.

TK

By Jono (Sean O'Reilly)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Pioneer
1E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
sexecutioner wrote:Hi Guys

Trying to organise my travels when I'm at Orlando.

Can anyone who lives there help out with transport from the University area to/from the following areas:

Disneyworld
Cocoa Beach
Legoland
Airport

Many thanks for any assistance you can give
Would help to know dates you'd like to go to these areas... and when you are arriving/leaving by airport
First Edition Creative Manager
By KazonPADD (Paddy Tye)
 - First Edition Creative Manager
 -  
1E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
KillerB wrote:Chance of hurricanes for Texas Masters: 0%.

;)
What? No Hurricane Corbett to lay waste to the opposition? You've changed man....

By KillerB (John Corbett)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Architect
Community Contributor
KazonPADD wrote:
KillerB wrote:Chance of hurricanes for Texas Masters: 0%.

;)
What? No Hurricane Corbett to lay waste to the opposition? You've changed man....
You're right. My promo skillz have declined. Too focused on promoting events instead of my personal glory. Kahless wouldn't approve....

If we're going that way, I'd prefer the Texas Tornado. Old school baby.

By KillerB (John Corbett)
 -  
Architect
Community Contributor
1st off, all you Orlando people, get the fuck out of dodge. "The wind doesn't respect a fool"- kahless.

2nd, if we have to cancel Worlds, Texas will be happy to host a combo Worlds/Masters.

That sounds prickish, but I got my room block reserved. I'm rooting for you.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
KillerB wrote:1st off, all you Orlando people, get the fuck out of dodge. "The wind doesn't respect a fool"- kahless.

2nd, if we have to cancel Worlds, Texas will be happy to host a combo Worlds/Masters.

That sounds prickish, but I got my room block reserved. I'm rooting for you.
Isn't Worlds a) still a month out and b) in the middle of the state?

Unless Irma is the lead car of a total Hurricane Train on Florida, I would think things would be all good for Worlds.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
Armus wrote:Isn't Worlds a) still a month out and b) in the middle of the state?
Current models say it looks like it will hit Orlando, but as a Category 1. The five day outlook has got it tracking up to the Ohio Valley.

My aunt and uncle, as well as various cousins and my grandma all live in Miami. My aunt and uncle are retired firefighters and have been helping prepare. It's now too late for them to leave, so they're riding out the storm in their reinforced house, built after Andrew demolished their old house in '94.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
jadziadax8 wrote:
Armus wrote:Isn't Worlds a) still a month out and b) in the middle of the state?
Current models say it looks like it will hit Orlando, but as a Category 1. The five day outlook has got it tracking up to the Ohio Valley.

My aunt and uncle, as well as various cousins and my grandma all live in Miami. My aunt and uncle are retired firefighters and have been helping prepare. It's now too late for them to leave, so they're riding out the storm in their reinforced house, built after Andrew demolished their old house in '94.
Yeah, cleanup from a Category One has gotta be a lot less time and money than the coast where they're getting decked by a Category 4/5.

As for your aunt and uncle, Yikes. That's a scary thought regardless of preparation. I wish them all the best. :cross:
Vulcan Lander and its ability

What constrains this strategy is the number of c[…]

Ignoring point losses & Timing

I would be interested in the answer to this as wel[…]

Greetings 'trek fans! As discussed in our Februar[…]

1EFQ: Game of two halves

First: Rescue Captives is OP, there should[…]