You've played at the local, regional, and continental levels. Are you ready to take on the best in the world? Find out all the details about the 2021 World Championships, taking place in Chicago.
  • 242 posts
Director of Communications
By OKCoyote (Daniel Matteson)
 - Director of Communications
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
Those came from CC and I believe are awarded every year - I remember seeing them at Worlds 2014 as well (the last one I attended).

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
I think for the first few years it was largely Decipher promos, but then they mostly ran out of those.
Director of Communications
By OKCoyote (Daniel Matteson)
 - Director of Communications
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
OK I've been putting this off for a bit but I finally have some time to put together my thoughts on Worlds.

First, of course, thanks to all who attended, our locals as well as travelers, to make our third major Orlando event so spectacular. It was nice to see so many of my friends again as well as meet some new faces. I had an amazing time.

Huge props as always to my co-conspirators, Rick Kinney and Sean O'Reilly, the glue that holds these events together. They've been working tirelessly to put on the best event possible, and I hope that showed. Thanks also to Eric Robinett for again putting up with us for several days as we mobbed his store from open to close.

Big thanks to Ken Tufts for running the world championship events so that Rick and myself could play in them, and also to Niall Matthew, Matthew McClain, and Matt Kirk, who also ran events for us.

Thanks to our additional prize support donors: Matthew McClain, Eric Robinett, Kieren Otton, the Continuing Committee, and our generous anonymous donor. (Apologies if I missed anyone on this list.)

Thanks for the feedback regarding my attempt at live streaming on Twitch. Though not the highest quality, I'm glad it was well-received and I'll certainly try to do more of it in the future. Sorry not every round got streamed - there were multiple events taking place in the venue that made filming impractical for a few hours.

And here it goes. To the 1E players that I'm sure were upset by the continued delays getting to their events - I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I know you were upset. If you want to blame someone, you can blame me, as I wrote the schedule. The timetables I set looked workable in theory, but there were multiple issues in practice that pushed back the 1E Worlds finals much later than we expected. We promised the 2E players that they wouldn't miss the 1E finals, and with no room to push them off to another day, we had to run them late. In the future I'll try to space things out a little better, though it may mean running fewer side events in total (though incidentally, for the first time in our three major Orlando events, every side event managed to fire, even the 1E events).

As for the spontaneous concert that took place on Saturday night, forcing us to change rooms and adding unwanted noise to the majority of the 1E finals - apparently the venue had been double booked for the evening by mistake. I wasn't told about it until a couple days before the start of Worlds, and by then it was way too late to try to make changes to the schedule. I wasn't told that it was a music event, only that it might be a little loud.

So there you go. A boatload of honest thanks and also a couple of mea culpas. I hope you weren't too soured by the 1E finals experience and still managed to have a good time. And I hope you'll still consider us for future events as we continuously work to improve ourselves.

By Wambundu (Jason Drake)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
OKCoyote wrote:And here it goes. To the 1E players that I'm sure were upset by the continued delays getting to their events - I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I know you were upset. If you want to blame someone, you can blame me, as I wrote the schedule. The timetables I set looked workable in theory, but there were multiple issues in practice that pushed back the 1E Worlds finals much later than we expected. We promised the 2E players that they wouldn't miss the 1E finals, and with no room to push them off to another day, we had to run them late. In the future I'll try to space things out a little better, though it may mean running fewer side events in total (though incidentally, for the first time in our three major Orlando events, every side event managed to fire, even the 1E events).
I was probably pacing around nervously waiting for the 1E finals to start, but I wasn't upset. And as someone who doesn't really get into 2E, I'd much rather have all the side events available so I have fun stuff to do during the big 2E events, even at the risk of delays.
As for the spontaneous concert that took place on Saturday night... apparently the venue had been double booked for the evening by mistake. I wasn't told about it until a couple days before the start of Worlds..
I pretty much knew that before you told us. I was sure you wouldn't have deliberately set up that sort of thing.

And the music wasn't too loud, but that kid's singing is a crime against humanity. You have to wonder if his friends don't tell him because they like him too much to hurt his feelings, or because they secretly hate him....

Anyway, no fault on you, the whole experience was amazing. Thank you for everything!
Director of Organized Play
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 - Director of Organized Play
 -  
Architect
1E Andoria Regional Champion 2023
2E Andoria Regional Champion 2023
W.C.T. Chairman's Trophy winner 2014-2015
OKCoyote wrote:And here it goes. To the 1E players that I'm sure were upset by the continued delays getting to their events - I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I know you were upset. If you want to blame someone, you can blame me, as I wrote the schedule. The timetables I set looked workable in theory, but there were multiple issues in practice that pushed back the 1E Worlds finals much later than we expected. We promised the 2E players that they wouldn't miss the 1E finals, and with no room to push them off to another day, we had to run them late. In the future I'll try to space things out a little better, though it may mean running fewer side events in total (though incidentally, for the first time in our three major Orlando events, every side event managed to fire, even the 1E events).

As for the spontaneous concert that took place on Saturday night, forcing us to change rooms and adding unwanted noise to the majority of the 1E finals - apparently the venue had been double booked for the evening by mistake. I wasn't told about it until a couple days before the start of Worlds, and by then it was way too late to try to make changes to the schedule. I wasn't told that it was a music event, only that it might be a little loud.
Echoing Jason's comments, I don't blame you for anything, Dan. You folks in Orlando did everything you could to make the events run smoothly.

My only issue with Worlds overall relates strictly with the logistical failures of appropriate scheduling, but I admit I am the supreme minority as I think I was the only person who wasn't in Orlando exclusively for 'trek and was therefore sensitive to start / end times. I'm not about to cast stones at Eric / Ken since I don't know what the underlying issue really was, but having 1E Day 1 starting over an hour late was unacceptable in my opinion. If someone can clarify what exactly happened, that would be helpful, but it made no sense to me to show up 45 minutes after round 1 was supposed to have started only to discover that I had at least another hour where I could have been elsewhere. Ditto for Day 2 when I rushed out of a theme park to be on time only to discover I was two hours early, although that was clearly a case of 2E running behind schedule as usual. Both instance scream the need for the days' events to have started earlier than they had, and that is just a lesson learned for next time. :twocents:

That said, thank you all for your efforts and to my opponents for the good games! :cheersL:
First Edition Creative Manager
By KazonPADD (Paddy Tye)
 - First Edition Creative Manager
 -  
1E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
Yeah, the actual timescales on the Saturday night weren’t ideal - probably toughest on Lucas and MVB who played 6 rounds of 2E then 3 rounds of 1E. And worse still for Dan who had to keep poor Avery up until gone 1.30!

Personally I’d like the CC to adopt the model used in London last year (1E qualifiers Friday, 2E Sat, both finals Sunday) as that seems much less intensive on both players and organisers.

By Jono (Sean O'Reilly)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Pioneer
1E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
KazonPADD wrote:Yeah, the actual timescales on the Saturday night weren’t ideal - probably toughest on Lucas and MVB who played 6 rounds of 2E then 3 rounds of 1E. And worse still for Dan who had to keep poor Avery up until gone 1.30!

Personally I’d like the CC to adopt the model used in London last year (1E qualifiers Friday, 2E Sat, both finals Sunday) as that seems much less intensive on both players and organisers.
The reason we chose not to do this is because of what occurred last year at Continentals when people had to leave Sunday afternoon. We also wanted to make sure players did not have to choose between 1E and 2E Worlds Day 2.

I think there are two options: start 1E Day 1 at 1030am Saturday ... or inform players there will be only a 15 minute lunch break (so bring lunch).

By Se7enofMine (ChadC)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
As someone who wasn't there but has planned events before ..

Plan it as best you can. Shit is always gonna come up or force you to alter your plans. That's just how it goes.

Also. No matter what you do, someone will complain. You simply can't make everyone happy.

Do the best you can and let the chips fall where they may.
Ambassador
By T-Ricks (Rick Kinney)
 - Ambassador
 -  
KazonPADD wrote:Yeah, the actual timescales on the Saturday night weren’t ideal - probably toughest on Lucas and MVB who played 6 rounds of 2E then 3 rounds of 1E. And worse still for Dan who had to keep poor Avery up until gone 1.30!

This sounds good to me as well. Don't forget the Tribbles event though. Like John said, if we have four days, use all four. Put Tribbles Worlds on Thursday or Monday, whichever ends up being the fourth day. Then run a side event each day for whatever format isn't the main event. :twocents:
Question for noob

I still think I'm misunderstanding TMW. By saying […]

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]

Hey all, we are running a "Warum-up" fo[…]