You've played at the local, regional, and continental levels. Are you ready to take on the best in the world? Find out all the details about the 2021 World Championships, taking place in Chicago.

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Potentially unpopular opinion, especially in the middle of Worlds:

Speaking only for myself, as much prestige as we might attach to the World Champion title, I think it's a greater accomplishment to be the #1 rated player for the year--and that's not necessarily the World Champion.

This is not meant to take anything away from the title of World Champion. Winning Worlds, even now with the game shrinking and Continental champions no longer given airfare and such, is no mean feat. But ultimately it is one tournament, while #1 YTD (to draw a term from Magic, let's say Player of the Year) is based on a year's worth of excellence.

To give but one example, who was the better 2E player last year: Michael Van Breemen or Stefan Slaby? (And again, this is not meant to take anything away from MVB's accomplishments.)

And so I've said it before, but I think that just as there are forum badges for winning particular tournaments, there should be one for being the #1 for the year, because it's a feat just as worthy (if not more worthy) of recognition.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Decoupling the debate from the Worlds coverage.

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 -  
Marquetry wrote:That's not always accurate either, depending on lots of things.
Currently important - fun day, diversity in decks.
Like I said, I'm not trying to decrease the value of the title or the value of holding the event. I'm merely of the view that there is a title of even more worth.

By Marquetry
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
Kaiser wrote:The don't bring it up when guys are enjoying Worlds. It's not like we haven't heard that story before, and you know that many guys agree with you. That's why there is the year-to-date filter.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
I'm enjoying Worlds vicariously, so I'll engage on this now since I don't have a next game to get ready for.

I think I see the argument you're trying to make, but I'm not sure I reach the same conclusion you do.

As you yourself have pointed out, it's possible to finish on top of the rankings without playing in any of the major events. If I go 36-0 playing monthly tournaments (or 72-0 if that's what it takes to illustrate the point - I haven't done the math) against three players who I am clearly better than, I can finish on top of the list without facing any serious competition. I'm sorry, but any system where that's a possibility has serious flaws.

It's true that, barring a multi-million dollar endowment fund to fly all of the best players in the world to one place at one time to throw down, there is no one event that will determine without fail a best player. Look at 1e World's. I think most of the best players are there, but no matter who wins, people will ask the question, what if Kevin had made it down? It doesn't matter, since it's a hypothetical, and the winner will still be considered the World Champion.

And that matters. Big events need to matter or this game doesn't have a competitive season and then ratings don't matter.

I get that we're basically a social club at this point and titles are mainly for bragging rights, but that is what drives the competition.

You want to use ratings? Fine. Set a limit on how much you can get from a single player in a year. Then you have to travel (or recruit more players) to finish with a top rating.

Until then. Hail to the Champions.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation

It started in mid-2013. At that time it became sta[…]