You've played at the local, regional, and continental levels. Are you ready to take on the best in the world? Find out all the details about the 2021 World Championships, taking place in Chicago.

By chompers (Steve Hartmann)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
1E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
2E Australian Continental Semi-Finalist 2019
Fritzinger wrote:
eberlems wrote:
Fritzinger wrote:I'm not seeing how Greg gets tr116 assassins present with anyone apart from on planets?
TR-116 Rifle doesn't need to be present.
Wow I did not read that card properly!
.... and works at headquarters
Ambassador
 - Ambassador
 -  
chompers wrote:
:? It takes a year for the first person to try this at a serious tournament. How much worse could it be after a bunch of people try it? others have tried it, I just wasn’t paying attention

(although I do trust Greg to go full mad-scientist and produce something well-tuned in the lab. So maybe this is the worst it could be)
Last edited by Fritzinger on Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Second Edition Rules Master
By Latok
 - Second Edition Rules Master
 -  
1E Australian Continental Champion 2019
2E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
Fritzinger wrote:
chompers wrote:
:? It takes a year for the first person to try this at a serious tournament. How much worse could it be after a bunch of people try it?

(although I do trust Greg to go full mad-scientist and produce something well-tuned in the lab. So maybe this is the worst it could be)
Richard New definitely had it in his Romulan Assassin deck from gencon. Looking at the card page, Eberlems also tried it at EU continentals. When I came back last year and Corbett said design had/was improving, TR-116 was the only non-dilemma card that stood out to me as properly good. First I built a Weyoun/TR-116 lockout that can remove 2 personnel from the table a turn from the 3rd turn for 4 counters and have Undercover Resource active so not really slow myself down. Mission solving was a problem because to keep it consistently fast it had to be tiny and it relied on dodgy stuff to never face a dilemma. Eventually the consistency provided by the Romulan suite of tools and less dodgy mission solving proved to be a better build, plus less annoying for the opponent, not that the Romulan deck is fun to face.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Fritzinger wrote:
chompers wrote:
:? It takes a year for the first person to try this at a serious tournament. How much worse could it be after a bunch of people try it?

There seems to be general trend of fewer players playing and those that are playing doing it less often. Obvious power cards like The Enemy of my Enemy will quickly expose themselves as powerful or a problem. Cards like TR-116 Rifle are more likely to take time as its the player and the deck its put in that will expose the power / problem. So I am not particularly surprised it took a while for this one to rise to the top.

I played Greg day 1 and lost to his Romulan deck. It wasn't obvious to me how to beat it because I was so unfamiliar with the cards he was using as I barely play these days. I also don;t consider it a strength of mine to break apart or even beat well designed interference decks.

Either way - on day 1 I did not see the weapon in use (I am not sure if that was intentional on Greg's part ... if it was :thumbsup: ). I went home and made some changes that I felt might help a little if I faced the same deck on day 2. Then on day 2 I managed to use Silaran Prin to prevent an early play of Tal. It mattered little because I attempted too early (to try and dodge Deep Hatred) and lost a heap of crew and got destaffed when Greg targeted gold staffing icons (I was on Groumall so not too hard to staff). He then started picking gold stars off at my HQ with the rifle each turn and I barely managed to get another crew together to try another attempt before I decked myself. Second mission attempt he was setup to draw and play extra dilemmas and complete the lockout. Against these types of decks it is often advantageous to wait and get a larger crew but all that does is give him time to setup TR-116 Rifle and start sniping.

It will take a better player than me to find a solution. Weapons don't have counters outside of mission attempts do they? Kill prevention seems obvious but it will have to be outside the mission attempt which will limit what can be used against it (interrupts won't work well with Deep Hatred) If it is a personnel -- the personnel will have to be able to prevent their own death. His deck does not intend to attempt missions unless it has to so the dilemma pile is not going to help. Speed doesn't seem to be a reliable solution because the Cardassian deck is pretty fast if it doesn't lose its tools. So there might be a solution but it seems it might be narrow and affiliation based.

Emergency Transport Unit works and costs one less than the rifle so that might be it! ... except for Obedient Centurian :?

As for design improving? I dunno? They have given us some interesting cards but some seem poorly designed from my perspective. They seem to have ignored what I would have thought are some fundamentals of design. But what would I know though -- I am not a designer and only get to see the product of design.
By Latok
 -  
Against these types of decks it is often advantageous to wait and get a larger crew but all that does is give him time to setup TR-116 Rifle and start sniping.
Yes not only does waiting allow me to start picking off mission skills and have Reman Subterfuge ticking away, it also puts a lot of pressure on the opponent to have successful mission attempts because of the Terix/Trolarak. If you wait and build up a large crew with kill prevention maybe you get 1 or 2 missions done but will you have enough cards left in the deck to even be able to attempt a third?
Emergency Transport Unit works and costs one less than the rifle so that might be it! ... except for Obedient Centurian.
Self-Sealing Stem Bolts is also good but obviously they can just play another gun.
I would trade playing TR-116 every turn for the opponent playing an ETU every turn though because of what I said above, if you wait to long I can lock you out of a FW without ever having to kill a personnel.

My top three picks to beat this deck (more specifically the way I played it),
1) DS9 with Sao Paulo, a Bashir and Medical Teams also has the interrupt prevention to help.
2) A really big Borg weenie deck
3) Ferengi (not the counter barf type)

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Forgot about Self-Sealing Stem Bolts but you can play around that as the weapon should be in your hand on my turn when I can trigger the order
By Latok
 -  
chompers wrote:Forgot about Self-Sealing Stem Bolts but you can play around that as the weapon should be in your hand on my turn when I can trigger the order
Oh yeah true. You could always wait until all your people are dead and steal it when I have no reason to return it to hand :D .
Director of Organized Play
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 - Director of Organized Play
 -  
Architect
1E Andoria Regional Champion 2023
2E Andoria Regional Champion 2023
W.C.T. Chairman's Trophy winner 2014-2015
Worf Son of Mogh wrote:Congratulations to our NEW 2018 2e WORLD CHAMPION Greg Dillon!!!!!
Late to the party as I was away on business yesterday, but heart felt congrats, Greg! A well deserved win for my favorite overseas opponent! :cheersL:
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation