You've played at the local, regional, and continental levels. Are you ready to take on the best in the world? Find out all the details about the 2021 World Championships, taking place in Chicago.

By Dukat (Andreas Rheinländer)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
1E German National Runner-Up 2024
Clerasil ToB wrote:It's my family's jazzclub. Normally with live music. We are closed during Worlds for regular guests. You purchade cool or hot beverages for cheap prizes. We won't serve any food but there are lots of restaurants nearby...
Nice.

Mal schauen, ob ich es schaffen werde. Im Moment ist noch alles offen, meine gesamte persönliche und berufliche Situation ist in einem riesen Umbruch.

Soweit ich mich erinnere wartest du wohl aber noch immer auf eine Chance mir nochmal bei einer Weltmeisterschaft zu begegnen, nach unserem match bei der WM 2010 :D.
Du weißt es vielleicht noch ... das Game, das erst gegen Mitternacht endete :D.

By bhosp
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
I speak absolutely no German, and I have no intention to even try. Is that going to be a problem?

Also, what kind of weird plugs do you guys use over there?
North American OP Coordinator
By The Ninja Scot (Michael Van Breemen)
 - North American OP Coordinator
 -  
1E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E World Champion 2023
Tribbles World Champion 2022
The Traveler
1E North American Continental Champion 2023
2E North American Continental Champion 2023
  Trek Masters 1E Champion 2024
1E American National Champion 2023
1E Canadian National Champion 2023
2E Canadian National Champion 2023
2E  National Runner-Up 2023
2E American National Second Runner-Up 2023
1E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
2E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
bhosp wrote:I speak absolutely no German, and I have no intention to even try. Is that going to be a problem?

Also, what kind of weird plugs do you guys use over there?
From Trek players, no. From personal experience when going out to stores/restaurants, they appreciate it when you try but they're more forgiving when it's obvious that German isn't your first language.

As for the plug, they're using the same plug as most of continental Europe (not to be confused with the British plug which is different.) That being said, you may also want to make sure that your plug adapter also can adjust the wattage that it's receiving as they're running on 230 watts and 50 volts, more than in the US. If you're plugging in an American electrical device that can't handle the difference, it can actually render the item inoperable. Laptops aren't typically a problem (the AC adapter can go through the range - that's something you can check on your laptop's AC adapter FYI) but other things (electrical razors for example) can have a problem. If you get an adapter that can also convert the power that your item is using though, it's not a problem.

Michael
Online OP Coordinator
By pfti (Jon Carter)
 - Online OP Coordinator
 -  
2E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
Resistance-is-futile wrote:Yes Ben you need a special plug for Europe in addition to you will also need an adaptor to convert 220W Into 120W which is what we use in the US
As michael notes, anything with a charging brick (laptop, phone, etc.) already is likely to do this. If your only plugs are personal electronics, I have never needed a converter, just a plug adaptor

By Marquetry
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
The Euro players speak amazing English, you'll be fine. If you go out to restaurants/sightseeing, as has been mentioned, most people will still speak it- or you can go with players who do speak German and let them do the talking :)

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Mostly, the tips and tricks on our voltage and frequency are correct -- in spirit.

Your device must accept our voltage of 220 or 230V (volt; not W / Watt -- that's Power; and Power, while an important thing in electrical safety, does not factor into this particular discussion! So do not heed the "W" value on your power supplies, in this regard).

Also, it must accept a frequency of 50Hz.

Your native electrical supply is 100/110V voltage and 60Hz frequency.

Indeed, many appliances or their power supplies can accept both mains ranges. If you CANNOT find both 230 or 220V and 50Hz written on your beloved thingy, DO NOT plug it in. If you can: go.

So the figures and the concepts provided were correct. I just had to try and help you a bit more theoretically, with my [SD] ENGINEER.

And I'm fairly sure you'll encounter this:
Last edited by SudenKapala on Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By monty42 (Benjamin Liebich)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
Chancellor
2E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E German National Champion 2022
So basically the jist is stay among the nerds and don't go near a power outlet. :P

By Marquetry
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
bhosp wrote:What the fuck was the point of the EU if it didn’t change you weirdos to using normal plugs?
Money, like everything else! So much easier to just have the Euro, instead of having to switch every couple hours if you were driving around. My senior trip involved 5 currencies, plus whatever happened in Liechtenstein (this was 22 years ago, so I don't remember that part)

By bhosp
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Marquetry wrote:
bhosp wrote:What the fuck was the point of the EU if it didn’t change you weirdos to using normal plugs?
Money, like everything else! So much easier to just have the Euro, instead of having to switch every couple hours if you were driving around. My senior trip involved 5 currencies, plus whatever happened in Liechtenstein (this was 22 years ago, so I don't remember that part)
I thought the Brexit people were complaining about 100 regulations on imported bananas or whatever but apparently for all the regulations you people can’t give me a simple answer about what adapter to buy to make sure my Switch doesn’t explode.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Marquetry wrote:
Also -- to elaborate on that answer -- we've been using these wall outlets since the early 1200s, when we(!) invented(!) electricity. Granted, they used to be of wood, but for the rest they've been the same throughout the dark ages and thereafter.
When Nikolai Tesla set sail and discovered the New World in 1397, he brought along the correct plans, to install the same sockets in the US. But his secretary lost the folder with those plans (and the formulas for eternal life and world peace).

Then this Thomas Edison bloke invented a new socket system that looked totally different, and while at it, he changed you lot from the totally logical metric system (
we usually have 10 fingers, right? And its easy to have units follow the same incremental factor, with decent prefixes -- 10mm per cm, 100cm per m -- yeah? Instead of 12" per ft, but 3 ft per yd!? Why do you think Gene Roddenberry had Starfleet use metric??
), to imperial.

Y'all Yankees followed Edison's bright ideas blindly, because he had, coincidentally, invented the steam engine. (And what did THAT ever do for the world?)

YOU CAME AFTER, you're the NEW world. Everything was already done. It was fine, as-is. AND STILL YOU MANAGED TO THINK IT WAS A GREAT IDEA TO CHANGE(!) EVERYTHING(!)!

Even our wall outlets.

WHAT WERE YOU THINKING!?

By monty42 (Benjamin Liebich)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
Chancellor
2E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E German National Champion 2022
SudenKapala wrote:
Marquetry wrote:
Also -- to elaborate on that answer -- we've been using these wall outlets since the early 1200s, when we(!) invented(!) electricity. Granted, they used to be of wood, but for the rest they've been the same throughout the dark ages and thereafter.
When Nikolai Tesla set sail and discovered the New World in 1397, he brought along the correct plans, to install the same sockets in the US. But his secretary lost the folder with those plans (and the formulas for eternal life and world peace).

Then this Thomas Edison bloke invented a new socket system that looked totally different, and while at it, he changed you lot from the totally logical metric system (
we usually have 10 fingers, right? And its easy to have units follow the same incremental factor, with decent prefixes -- 10mm per cm, 100cm per m -- yeah? Instead of 12" per ft, but 3 ft per yd!? Why do you think Gene Roddenberry had Starfleet use metric??
), to imperial.

Y'all Yankees followed Edison's bright ideas blindly, because he had, coincidentally, invented the steam engine. (And what did THAT ever do for the world?)

YOU CAME AFTER, you're the NEW world. Everything was already done. It was fine, as-is. AND STILL YOU MANAGED TO THINK IT WAS A GREAT IDEA TO CHANGE(!) EVERYTHING(!)!

Even our wall outlets.

WHAT WERE YOU THINKING!?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! You tell 'em man!
Vulcan Lander and its ability

What constrains this strategy is the number of c[…]

Ignoring point losses & Timing

I would be interested in the answer to this as wel[…]

Greetings 'trek fans! As discussed in our Februar[…]

1EFQ: Game of two halves

First: Rescue Captives is OP, there should[…]