You've played at the local, regional, and continental levels. Are you ready to take on the best in the world? Find out all the details about the 2021 World Championships, taking place in Chicago.
  • 173 posts

By Honest
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
2E Australian Continental Champion 2019
Armus wrote:I think this was the truest representation of a "World" championship in the CC era.

I'm just gutted that I couldn't be there.
Maybe Frankfurt in 2010 was a slightly wider representation (and had more attendees) but I get your point.

Hopefully Chicago can put on a good show as well

Honest
Director of Organized Play
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 - Director of Organized Play
 -  
Architect
1E Andoria Regional Champion 2023
2E Andoria Regional Champion 2023
W.C.T. Chairman's Trophy winner 2014-2015
Honest wrote:I commented earlier about how good a result the Worlds was this year. Re-reading this thread made me change my mind a little.

It was a raving success. Not just because of the TREK, but because Julius managed to pull 30 people from 6+ countries and 3 continents together to play a game that hasn't been produced commercially since 2007. And everyone got along and had a great time.

This is what TREK is all about now. Props to all involved.
On behalf of the OP team, thank you, Kieren. Please let us / me know what we can do to make sure your event in November is a success as well. :cheersL:
Honest wrote:Maybe Frankfurt in 2010 was a slightly wider representation (and had more attendees) but I get your point.

Hopefully Chicago can put on a good show as well.
We will certainly try our best. With O'Hare being an International airport, our hope is we will draw from the UK, Europe, and possibly even Oz. My understanding is Niall and crew are already internally discussing it, as is the mWo crew (Johannes et al.) If we can get even a half dozen of those folks to join us, I would be thrilled. I personally would love to see 30+ at Worlds 2020 with a number of countries represented, and am going to do my best to make sure a bunch of us from "North of the Wall" come down to compete / fill out the ranks. :wink:

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Honest wrote:
Armus wrote:I think this was the truest representation of a "World" championship in the CC era.

I'm just gutted that I couldn't be there.
Maybe Frankfurt in 2010 was a slightly wider representation (and had more attendees) but I get your point.

Hopefully Chicago can put on a good show as well

Honest
Just went back and looked. 2010 only had a total of 12 for 1e, 11 from Germany and Austria +Alex, a German American. I think this year's 1e Championship was much more representative of the best players in the world (and also shows the OTF-driven revival of the game)

On the other hand, 2e pulled 54(!!) from all over the world and makes me sad that half of that is considered great by today's standards.

I see two trend lines going in two very different directions.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
Honest wrote: Hopefully Chicago can put on a good show as well

Honest
I will try my best; I have great role models in Rick from 2017 and Julius from this year.

Sent through Subspace from the Starship Enterprise
Ambassador
 - Ambassador
 -  
Armus wrote:
On the other hand, 2e pulled 54(!!) from all over the world and makes me sad that half of that is considered great by today's standards.
I think that event had a certain "holy crap worlds is not in America" quality to it but your point stands.

We're missing Russians, most brits and the Czechs (seems like no-one has told Vlad that SW Destiny is dead), a Dutchman or two, and several Germans including the ones who moved to the UK (will Thorsten and Sandra be fleeing back to Germany post-brexit, I wonder).

Additional thoughts:

1) Despite all those missing people, this is a little bit better than Euros 2015 (24 players) so that's gotta be encouraging.

2) An Italian showed up on the forums and discord this week with a group of his own so ... maybe the dead will rise in Europe again.

It seems like everyone had a good enough time this weekend that they might just do it again.
Director of Organized Play
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 - Director of Organized Play
 -  
Architect
1E Andoria Regional Champion 2023
2E Andoria Regional Champion 2023
W.C.T. Chairman's Trophy winner 2014-2015
Fritzinger wrote:It seems like everyone had a good enough time this weekend that they might just do it again.
We want to use the bidding process going forward, so it is mostly a matter of getting Jules (or others) to bid for Worlds in 2021 or beyond.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Latro waved the Dutch flag, and I tried to put Belgium on the map. But I spend so much time in The Netherlands that, contrary to popular archetypes, I don't mind being mistaken for a Dutch person, either. (It's crazy, I know. :o But also good, because I live so close to the border.) And I also love our German neighbours and their country, actually. :thumbsup: So -- in true Trek spirit -- if you want more Dutch or German language speakers or flag-wavers, you can count me in for either of those, too. :shifty: :cheersL:
European OP Coordinator
 - European OP Coordinator
 -  
Including myself we had 40 players attending any tournament at Worlds 2019...

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Clerasil ToB wrote:Including myself we had 40 41 players attending any tournament at Worlds 2019...
We count you at least double. (In a good way.) :borg: 8)
Chief Financial Officer
 - Chief Financial Officer
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
1E Ferenginar Regional Champion 2023
As I sit relaxing in first class on the train back from Prague to Vienna to fly home tomorrow I can definitely say after a nice relaxing week in the Czech Republic worlds 2019 couldn’t have been any more perfect

Met a lot of new faces and some old faces haven’t seen in forever. Such a pity it’s so expensive to travel between Europe and the USA or I would totally hit up more events (and sites of course)

I would definitely recomend Prague to anyone planning a European getaway sites that are a must:
Charles bridge
Prague castle
Astronomical clock
LEGO museum
Communism museum
Chocolate and wax museum
Petrin look out aka Czech Eiffel Tower (there’s a lift or u can walk up the hill)

Foods pretty cheap dinner in restaurants was about 400CZK incl 10% tip per night

#majorApplause to Julius, team Vienna, and most importantly to Julius’ parents for making Jazzland available
My parents love all things jazz so I may be bringing them back to Austria to see the live music at Jazzland

By sexecutioner (Niall Matthew)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E World Runner-Up 2023
1E European Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
1E British National Second Runner-Up 2023
Resistance-is-futile wrote:As I sit relaxing in first class on the train back from Prague to Vienna to fly home tomorrow I can definitely say after a nice relaxing week in the Czech Republic worlds 2019 couldn’t have been any more perfect

Met a lot of new faces and some old faces haven’t seen in forever. Such a pity it’s so expensive to travel between Europe and the USA or I would totally hit up more events (and sites of course)

I would definitely recomend Prague to anyone planning a European getaway sites that are a must:
Charles bridge
Prague castle
Astronomical clock
LEGO museum
Communism museum
Chocolate and wax museum
Petrin look out aka Czech Eiffel Tower (there’s a lift or u can walk up the hill)

Foods pretty cheap dinner in restaurants was about 400CZK incl 10% tip per night

#majorApplause to Julius, team Vienna, and most importantly to Julius’ parents for making Jazzland available
My parents love all things jazz so I may be bringing them back to Austria to see the live music at Jazzland
After hearing about Prague from yourself and Carter, me and the missus have booked a 4 day trip in December. Looking forward to it.

As for being unable to travel, there's a simple solution: Move to Europe :wink:

More holiday time, better healthcare, education and transport systems. It's a plan that cannot go wrong.
Chief Financial Officer
 -  
sexecutioner wrote:
Resistance-is-futile wrote:As I sit relaxing in first class on the train back from Prague to Vienna to fly home tomorrow I can definitely say after a nice relaxing week in the Czech Republic worlds 2019 couldn’t have been any more perfect

Charles bridge
Prague castle
Astronomical clock
LEGO museum
Communism museum
Chocolate and wax museum

After hearing about Prague from yourself and Carter, me and the missus have booked a 4 day trip in December. Looking forward to it.

As for being unable to travel, there's a simple solution: Move to Europe :wink:

More holiday time, better healthcare, education and transport systems. It's a plan that cannot go wrong.
I would need to find a job in a bank somewhere in Europe either in lending or commercial banking lol
Maybe I would help me find one lolol:):)

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
sexecutioner wrote:After hearing about Prague from yourself and Carter, me and the missus have booked a 4 day trip in December. Looking forward to it.
Great for you both! 8) :thumbsup: I visited Prague and Budapest in 2007, and architecture- and atmosphere-wise, I loved Prague even slightly better. However, Budapest had the impressive Statue Park, if you're intrigued by Communist art. (But Futile already wrote that Prague has some sights regarding that, too.)
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
I was flipping through my pics just now and found this.

[emoji3526]

Sent through Subspace from the Starship Enterprise
Chief Financial Officer
 -  
Welp 2019 vacation has ended 2 weeks in Europe is over and back to work tomorrow. Headed to the airport Vienna to Amsterdam to Vancouver to Seattle

Don’t want to think of the emails piled up while I was gone

Till next time Julius and the rest of team Austria :)
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation