You've played at the local, regional, and continental levels. Are you ready to take on the best in the world? Find out all the details about the 2021 World Championships, taking place in Chicago.

If you're planning to come for Worlds, which format do you prefer for Day 2 of Second Edition?

Swiss
54%
Eight player Standard bracket
No votes
0%
Eight player Modified McIntyre bracket
38%
Something else (please specify)
8%
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
I am working on setting up all the tournaments for Worlds 2020 in Chicago (August 6th - 8th). One question that inevitably comes up is what format should Day 2 be. I figured that it would be easiest to set up a poll. If you're planning to come for Worlds, which format do you prefer for Day 2 of Second Edition?

By Naetor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I suppose I would prefer Swiss, but I think there should be mechanisms for people that are 0-2 to drop without screwing up the rest of the standings.

4 players playing a round robin where last round is the 2-0 leader vs. the 0-2 bottom dweller doesn't make sense.

By KillerB (John Corbett)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
Community Contributor
This morning I'm watching how Madden does their championship.

After they get down to their final 16 they randomly draw them into 4 groups. Then they play a 3-game group play stage (differential breaking ties). Winners of each group get a bye in a single-elimination bracket, and the 2nd and 3rd go into a wild card round.

By sevencrdspud (Jason Beyer)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Pistols at dawn.

By KillerB (John Corbett)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
Community Contributor
The trick is a decent, fun format that doesn't suck up all the time and leaves room for the 1E championship and Tribbles.

I like the idea of getting to 16 because, at this point, a big trek events draws 20-25 people, so you can have a casual 4 round Swiss prelim tourney where the top 16 qualify. That would take 5 hours. Then you could do the 3-round group play later in the day (hopefully not much more than 3.5 hours). Then the following morning you can have your bracket. If you make those wild card fools play early then you can have that wrapped up by mid-day.

So you've only spent 1.5 days for your 3 or 4 day Worlds event.
Question for noob

I still think I'm misunderstanding TMW. By saying […]

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]

Hey all, we are running a "Warum-up" fo[…]