You've played at the local, regional, and continental levels. Are you ready to take on the best in the world? Find out all the details about the 2021 World Championships, taking place in Chicago.
  • 140 posts
Director of Organized Play
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 - Director of Organized Play
 -  
Architect
1E Andoria Regional Champion 2023
2E Andoria Regional Champion 2023
W.C.T. Chairman's Trophy winner 2014-2015
With North American Continentals in the rear view mirror, it is time to turn our attention to the World Championships in Chicago next month! This is the official thread for posting all things Worlds - match results, arrival times, accommodations, etc.

Let's hear it! :cheersL:

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
jadziadax8 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:05 pm I have arrived safely and am ready to play.
I know this is a joke and this thing is in your (almost literal) back yard, but if the TD is having to come off the bench to play in the World Championship, that strikes me as a problem.

I would hope that we haven't reached that point...

By sevencrdspud (Jason Beyer)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:08 pm
jadziadax8 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:05 pm I have arrived safely and am ready to play.
I know this is a joke and this thing is in your (almost literal) back yard, but if the TD is having to come off the bench to play in the World Championship, that strikes me as a problem.

Respectfully:

1. "These are unprecedented times."
2. Didn't this happen in Florida for 2E Continentals?

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
sevencrdspud wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:16 pm
Armus wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:08 pm

Respectfully:

1. "These are unprecedented times."
2. Didn't this happen in Florida for 2E Continentals?
Looking at the pre-reg, it shouldn't be an issue.

But yes, it did just happen. I actually don't have a beef with the 9 non-director FL players not wanting a bye, but I'm also having a hard time telling the difference between locals, Regionals, Masters, Nationals, and now Continentals aside from the label on the box.

I'd hate to see the ostensibly premiere event of the year fall into the same bucket of indistinguishibility.
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 -  
Architect
Armus wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:08 pmI know this is a joke and this thing is in your (almost literal) back yard, but if the TD is having to come off the bench to play in the World Championship, that strikes me as a problem.

I do not believe we are. Maggie and I have had discussions about who runs what for both the main events, and as of now I am running both days of 2E Worlds and not playing. She is intending to run 1E Worlds, and even with her Continentals Earned Byes, will not be playing unless we find a substitute T.D. between now and then. Obviously, this is only up for debate now because she's your reigning Continental Champion as of last weekend.

The various side events we are hoping will police themselves using the bevy of available T.D.'s on site (e.g. MVB, Heaney, Dan M, etc.) and in a pinch I will handle pairings and not play in those as well.
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 -  
Architect
Armus wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:25 pmI'd hate to see the ostensibly premiere event of the year fall into the same bucket of indistinguishibility.
As Jason said, these are unprecedented times. We are making the most of the hand the pandemic has dealt us. Do I wish we had a half dozen Europeans coming? Absolutely. Do I wish Ken could come down from Canada to compete? Of course. But we should not condone the World Championship before it is even played simply because of who is not there. Given the line up I see and knowing who is coming that is not pre-reg'd, on both sides of the fence it looks to be a super competitive field.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Community Contributor
LORE wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:51 pm
Armus wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:25 pmI'd hate to see the ostensibly premiere event of the year fall into the same bucket of indistinguishibility.
As Jason said, these are unprecedented times. We are making the most of the hand the pandemic has dealt us. Do I wish we had a half dozen Europeans coming? Absolutely. Do I wish Ken could come down from Canada to compete? Of course. But we should not condone the World Championship before it is even played simply because of who is not there. Given the line up I see and knowing who is coming that is not pre-reg'd, on both sides of the fence it looks to be a super competitive field.
Frankly, if we're going to throw shade at "Worlds", I'd throw it on the grounds that a lot of the world can't legally attend. But that's not the fault of organizers or the CC. If there's fault, it's that Americans like calling their local events things like "World Series" (where only one team isn't American). :P

By Danny (Daniel Giddings)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
2E British National Runner-Up 2021
AllenGould wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:39 pmIf there's fault, it's that Americans like calling their local events things like "World Series" (where only one team isn't American). :P

Wasn't that called the World Series because of a newspaper sponsor?
 -  
Community Contributor
Danny wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:12 pm Wasn't that called the World Series because of a newspaper sponsor?
Google says:
The Origin of the Name 'the World Series'
For many years, it was believed that the name came from the fact that the original series was sponsored by the New York World Telegram newspaper, thus becoming known as the ‘World’s Series’. However, popular as this explanation may be, it’s not actually true and although the newspaper did report the results of the games, it had nothing to do with the naming of the competition.

The real reason behind the name is thanks to Barney Dreyfuss who was the owner of the Pittsburgh Pirates. In 1903, he wrote to the owner of the Boston Red Sox challenging them to a ‘World’s Championship Series’. The Pirates were the best team in the National League and the Red Sox were the best in the American League.

The games went ahead and Boston won the series five games to three. Over time, the 'World’s Championship Series' name has been shortened to the World Series and has been played every year apart from 1904 and 1994.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
AllenGould wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:39 pm
LORE wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:51 pm
Frankly, if we're going to throw shade at "Worlds", I'd throw it on the grounds that a lot of the world can't legally attend. But that's not the fault of organizers or the CC. If there's fault, it's that Americans like calling their local events things like "World Series" (where only one team isn't American). :P
It used to be two teams, but Quebec doesn't like fun... :P

I'm not entirely sure how me saying in effect "I hope Worlds remains special" is "throwing shade on Worlds"

My larger point is that, if we get to the point where Worlds ISN'T special, and a TD DOES have to come off the bench to get it sanctioned, then that would indeed be a sad day, pandemic or no. Nowhere did I say that's what I was expecting for this year's Worlds in Chicago. To the contrary, I'm pretty sure I said explicitly that based on the pre-reg list (and apparently some run-ins according to Kris), it *shouldn't* be an issue this year.

I know Maggie has spent a bunch of time and money ramping up for this gig, and I hope everybody going has a good time with a lot of high level competition. I'm just concerned based on what I'm seeing at what passes for Continentals (and apparently Nationals? Even though it's at Gencon?) that everything looks like a local these days, and I'd hate to see that same fate befall Worlds.
 -  
Community Contributor
Armus wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:04 pm I'm not entirely sure how me saying in effect "I hope Worlds remains special" is "throwing shade on Worlds"

My larger point is that, if we get to the point where Worlds ISN'T special, and a TD DOES have to come off the bench to get it sanctioned, then that would indeed be a sad day, pandemic or no. Nowhere did I say that's what I was expecting for this year's Worlds in Chicago. To the contrary, I'm pretty sure I said explicitly that based on the pre-reg list (and apparently some run-ins according to Kris), it *shouldn't* be an issue this year.
My point is that this is a weird year, where I don't think it's possible to "do Worlds right" - there's no spot on the globe where a majority of the world *could* get to, so I think this is more a symbolic "don't break the streak" even than anything.

Mind, I stopped considering Worlds to be special when Decipher moved from "these are the winners from Regionals" to "this is the winners from the people who showed up to whatever convention we decided to point at and call The Big One". All events are local if the criteria is "can you get here" ;)
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
LORE wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:47 pm
Armus wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:08 pmShe is intending to run 1E Worlds, and even with her Continentals Earned Byes, will not be playing unless we find a substitute T.D. between now and then. Obviously, this is only up for debate now because she's your reigning Continental Champion as of last weekend.
What if I use my two Byes and drop the rest of the event? And you get rating points! And you get ratings points!

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
1E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
jadziadax8 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:53 pm
Armus wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:08 pmShe is intending to run 1E Worlds, and even with her Continentals Earned Byes, will not be playing unless we find a substitute T.D. between now and then. Obviously, this is only up for debate now because she's your reigning Continental Champion as of last weekend.
What if I use my two Byes and drop the rest of the event? And you get rating points! And you get ratings points!

It Ain't no lie,
Maggie, Bye, Bye, Bye.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Professor Scott wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:38 pm
jadziadax8 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:53 pm

It Ain't no lie,
Maggie, Bye, Bye, Bye.
BYE BYE!!

Sorry, couldn't resist... :P
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Or maybe keep your unsolicited snark to yo[…]

Vulcan Lander and its ability

What constrains this strategy is the number of c[…]

Ignoring point losses & Timing

I would be interested in the answer to this as wel[…]

Greetings 'trek fans! As discussed in our Februar[…]