For posting 1E deck designs for feedback from other players and members of the community.

-  
Hey all!

I know this goes against the spirit of "The Continuing Committee" (AND cuts out quite a lot of amazing cards and great work done by the guys who have kept things going all these years), but is there any sort of format that limits decks/cards to ones officially released by Decipher back in the day? Or for those who'd like to play with cards they've purchased over the years without printing out proxies? Or perhaps for a bit of additional or different challenge in deck construction?

Borg, Ferengi, the "original three (four?)" affiliations, and Bajoran (perhaps with another affiliation mixed in) all interest me for decks of this regard, but at least the first couple I can mainly (or only) find deck lists that have newer cards in them. (For good reason - they're good cards!) But, I have a ton of older cards, and have been picking up more along the way for my collection. Playing virtually when I own all of these feels a bit... I don't know. Off? Digital? It just feels plain different from playing in person, back in the day when First Contact and DS9 came out somehow.

Anyone have any ideas/resources for what I'm interested in here?
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
The format/card pool you're looking for is "Traditional," in which all Decipher cards are legal but none of the virtual cards are.

That said, most of us print out the virtual cards, cut them out, and play them along with our regular cards. (You can sleeve the paper cutouts with real cards as backers... or you can get them double-sided printed on decent cardstock and drop them straight into your decks. If you build a deck with the CC Deck Builder, you can hit Print Decklist from your Deck Management menu, and it will automatically generate a PDF of all the cards (traditional and virtual) in your deck, formatted to be the correct size when printed out.

So most games with the new cards still happen in real life, not virtual space. Adopting virtual cards doesn't mean you have to go digital, by any means!

-  
BCSWowbagger wrote:The format/card pool you're looking for is "Traditional," in which all Decipher cards are legal but none of the virtual cards are.
Ahh I didn't realize that's what it was called. Thanks for that info!
BCSWowbagger wrote:That said, most of us print out the virtual cards, cut them out, and play them along with our regular cards. (You can sleeve the paper cutouts with real cards as backers... or you can get them double-sided printed on decent cardstock and drop them straight into your decks. If you build a deck with the CC Deck Builder, you can hit Print Decklist from your Deck Management menu, and it will automatically generate a PDF of all the cards (traditional and virtual) in your deck, formatted to be the correct size when printed out.

So most games with the new cards still happen in real life, not virtual space. Adopting virtual cards doesn't mean you have to go digital, by any means!
Yeah, I understand that. That's what a "proxy" is, in Magic: The Gathering terms, anyway. Obviously with STCCG it's a different story since the newer cards are all custom and somewhat "sanctioned" now that Decipher isn't in the game anymore, but it's still different than having professionally printed cards (many of which I already own).

The point of asking is that I don't see many deck lists around that really utilize the "Traditional" format, though now that I know what it's called maybe I can find them! Regardless, it may be fun to see what people can come up with, given the amount of years since that format ended production!
 -  
Community Contributor
There are few Traditional decklists outside Sealed events because verrrrry few people play Traditional. The game was pretty broken when Decipher died off, so it was relatively easy to get people using V-cards, especially once V-cards started making pre-Voyager cards viable and fun again with treats like Continuing Mission and Shades of Gray: Cruelty.

But Traditional does happen! Your best bet is probably to look through the Tournament Finder (check Completed Events --> First Edition), scan for Traditional events this year and last year, and then see if any if the players in those tourneys attached decklists.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Hey, this slipped me by. Hi, MonkeyJamboree! :)
BCSWowbagger wrote:[...] verrrrry few people play Traditional. [...] But Traditional does happen! [...]
Indeed it does! We play Traditional, here. But... "here" is on the wrong continent, sadly. Nice to see another Traditional enthusiast, though! :)
BCSWowbagger wrote:The game was pretty broken when Decipher died off [...]
The way we solve that here, ATM, is by being friends (playing extremely sportsmanlike to allow for each other's fun), and not playing very competitively. We sort of play around the broken areas, and adapt to the limitations of the "poorest" player's card pool. It's still an imperfect environment, to be sure -- but it's fun to play with our collections, nonetheless! 8)

If you find other / better solutions of dealing with Decipher's epic but unbalanced legacy, I'm interested to read about it.

Since 2016, I've entered tens of Traditional-only, fun, but playable, deck lists in the fantastic deck builder here. I'm hesitant to share them in 'public' mode (because I'm only just now venturing outside of my own little playing-environment). They're quite different from what I've seen, here, in regular ('Complete'='Virtual'+'Traditional') decks. But come to think of it -- depending on which level you want to play on, I may have exactly what you need. :)

If you're still interested, give me a shout; I'll "hook you up". :cheersL:

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
BTW: We also chose to adhere to the 'Traditional rules' -- an obsolete, but full, rules set from the Decipher aeon, which I was able to harvest from the corners of the internet in 2008-2014. (I only discovered this site in 2016! :x )

If you miss any old documents, or would like to know what we use exactly or what I have from those archaic times, let me know.
Online OP Coordinator
By pfti (Jon Carter)
 - Online OP Coordinator
 -  
2E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
I have the last decipher glossary (I think) if you ever want true traditional rules.
 -  
Community Contributor
Did somebody say "old rules docs"???

https://starshipexcelsior.com/othersite ... /decipher/

Glossary 1.8 is, I believe, the canonical document for hardcore traditionalists.

I need to post those somewhere Google will index them, but they are available.

If you have anything I DON'T have, Suden, please send it to me and I'll post it for all the world to use.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
BCSWowbagger wrote:Did somebody say "old rules docs"???
Ah, yes, sorry to disappoint you James, but... most of my stuff comes from there, or is the same. I ransacked your treasure trove when I found it -- that's how I ended up reading your modern rulebook PDFs. (So I did actually stoomble across it -- 6th hit or so. You're fine.) And I took my first Borg steps in 2015 or so, by using Jemery's awesome PwrPnt tutorial I found there. That was fun! :D
BCSWowbagger wrote:Glossary 1.8 is, I believe, the canonical document for hardcore traditionalists.
You betcha. :thumbsup:
BCSWowbagger wrote:If you have anything I DON'T have, Suden, please send it to me and I'll post it for all the world to use.
What took me literally years to find was the original old Borg Rulebook PDF (anno y2k, by Major Rakal?). I wantsed it. I found it somewhere in a wayback machine and was very happy. But of course, it outlived its usefulness even during the Decipher aeon. (So, Jamboree, it makes no sense to read it, nor to have it.) (I happily make no sense.)

But perhaps I should send you a dump of all my rules docs, somehow? (And send them to you as well, while I'm at it, Jamboree -- if you give/PM me your address?)
 -  
Community Contributor
Suden Kapala wrote:What took me literally years to find was the original old Borg Rulebook PDF (anno y2k, by Major Rakal?).
I WANT THIS.

True that it's useless now, but it's a document I don't have, and I'm a certifi(able)ed Rules Nerd.

I think you have my email address. :)

- Alpha Quadrant
 -  
MonkeyJamboree wrote:
BCSWowbagger wrote:The format/card pool you're looking for is "Traditional," in which all Decipher cards are legal but none of the virtual cards are.
Ahh I didn't realize that's what it was called. Thanks for that info!
BCSWowbagger wrote:That said, most of us print out the virtual cards, cut them out, and play them along with our regular cards. (You can sleeve the paper cutouts with real cards as backers... or you can get them double-sided printed on decent cardstock and drop them straight into your decks. If you build a deck with the CC Deck Builder, you can hit Print Decklist from your Deck Management menu, and it will automatically generate a PDF of all the cards (traditional and virtual) in your deck, formatted to be the correct size when printed out.

I have at least two recent decks posted using that format.
Yeah, I understand that. That's what a "proxy" is, in Magic: The Gathering terms, anyway. Obviously with STCCG it's a different story since the newer cards are all custom and somewhat "sanctioned" now that Decipher isn't in the game anymore, but it's still different than having professionally printed cards (many of which I already own).

The point of asking is that I don't see many deck lists around that really utilize the "Traditional" format, though now that I know what it's called maybe I can find them! Regardless, it may be fun to see what people can come up with, given the amount of years since that format ended production!
Question for noob

I still think I'm misunderstanding TMW. By saying […]

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]

Hey all, we are running a "Warum-up" fo[…]