For posting 1E deck designs for feedback from other players and members of the community.

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
What determines the deck's affiliation icon, the outpost seeded or the largest concentration of personnel? I have deck that has more [NA] than [Hir] and it also has Husnock Outpost seeded, so I can't tell which is causing it to appear NA vs Hirogen. If it's personnel, I can fix that by adding a couple Hirogen I guess; but if it's the outpost, that is a problem as it's an [AQ] deck so there is no Hirogen Outpost in it.

By Orbin (James Monsebroten)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Professor Scott wrote:What determines the deck's affiliation icon, the outpost seeded or the largest concentration of personnel? I have deck that has more [NA] than [Hir] and it also has Husnock Outpost seeded, so I can't tell which is causing it to appear NA vs Hirogen. If it's personnel, I can fix that by adding a couple Hirogen I guess; but if it's the outpost, that is a problem as it's an [AQ] deck so there is no Hirogen Outpost in it.
I'm pretty sure you need the facility to make the deck count. Try putting one in your Q's tent to see if that fixes the issue.

- James M

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
Orbin wrote:
Professor Scott wrote:What determines the deck's affiliation icon, the outpost seeded or the largest concentration of personnel? I have deck that has more [NA] than [Hir] and it also has Husnock Outpost seeded, so I can't tell which is causing it to appear NA vs Hirogen. If it's personnel, I can fix that by adding a couple Hirogen I guess; but if it's the outpost, that is a problem as it's an [AQ] deck so there is no Hirogen Outpost in it.
I'm pretty sure you need the facility to make the deck count. Try putting one in your Q's tent to see if that fixes the issue.

- James M
So, I removed the Husnock Outpost and added a Hirogen Outpost, and now the deck is listed as [NA] [Hir] . So I guess the I need to try the personnel mix next.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Professor Scott wrote:What determines the deck's affiliation icon, the outpost seeded or the largest concentration of personnel?
*opens up the code*

Okay, it looks like this is how it runs (unless I'm looking at an old version of the function somehow)...

First it counts total nouns in the deck (totalnouns).

Then it counts how many nouns each affiliation has in the deck (affilnouns).

Then it divides affilnouns by totalnouns. If the result is greater than 0.5, the deck gains that affiliation.

For [NA], it additionally checks whether every noun in the deck is NA ($naNouns/$totalNouns == 1) and less than half of them are also Maquis. If so, then [NA] is assigned.

There's several more lines of Maquis-related code I don't want to sort out right now.

For 1E Borg, it then checks whether every noun in your deck is [Bor] ($borgnouns == $totalnouns) as long as you have at least 10 nouns in your deck. I'm not really sure why it does this because it looks like it should already have set any such deck to Borg, but I'm just reading, haven't tested, and there's usually a reason for these things.

Lastly, for 1E, it checks whether you have a Ferengi facility. If so, your deck is given Ferengi designation regardless of anything else.

This code is basically the same for both games.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
When you say it counts the Nouns in the deck, is that just the draw deck or the entire deck with seeds/side decks included? I presume based on your comment about [Fer] facility that it must include the entire deck.
North American OP Coordinator
By The Ninja Scot (Michael Van Breemen)
 - North American OP Coordinator
 -  
1E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E World Champion 2023
Tribbles World Champion 2022
The Traveler
1E North American Continental Champion 2023
2E North American Continental Champion 2023
  Trek Masters 1E Champion 2024
1E American National Champion 2023
1E Canadian National Champion 2023
2E Canadian National Champion 2023
2E  National Runner-Up 2023
2E American National Second Runner-Up 2023
1E Ferenginar Regional Champion 2024
2E Ferenginar Regional Champion 2024
Professor Scott wrote:When you say it counts the Nouns in the deck, is that just the draw deck or the entire deck with seeds/side decks included? I presume based on your comment about [Fer] facility that it must include the entire deck.
Just from personal experience but it looks at the entire deck, side DE cks included.

Michael

By Enabran
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
2E Austrian National Second Runner-Up 2022
My Deck has:
ca 15 klingon Cards
ca 30 federation Cards
and a seeded Klingon Outpost.
It is a Klingon Deck.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Nice that I can gain more insight about this, here. I did wonder about some things, too. (Like: why does my KLI/NA deck not have a NA icon?)

But I can also add to this, the following:

(1) I have a strong impression that (as Professor Scott [EDIT:] and/or, but at least Enabran wrote) an outpost does a lot for the icons that are given to a deck; and

(2) If you put a
Klaestron Outpost
in an otherwise FED (and totally non-CAR) deck, you will get CAR (and FED) icon in the deck builder.
This seems similar to the code about the FER facility, that Wowbagger spoke about.
Last edited by SudenKapala on Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
 -  
Community Contributor
Yeah, I don't see anything in the code that weighs outposts differently, but I have had similar experiences (95% Fed deck on Deep Space 9 = Bajoran deck).

So either:

(a) I'm not reading the right block of code, or
(b) it's the right block of code, but I'm reading it incorrectly.

I'll see whether I can offer any more enlightenment later on.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Addition (3): I've read somewhere, I think, (perhaps in conjunction with achievements; might or might not be related to deck icons) that a deck only becomes fully -- or only -- NA if it has mostly, or even only, NA personnel. In my memory, NA was an exception in that regard.

Sorry to be so vague, but I can't recall where I read it, but it was back in 2016 when I started using the deck builder. Let it, at best, serve as a pointer that there may be something more to discover.

By Maelwys (Chris Lobban)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
BCSWowbagger wrote:(a) I'm not reading the right block of code
You've got half of it. The facility part is somewhat obfuscated, right near the top (hidden in $fieldname, called to set $present on line 428).

Basically, there's the list of cards that "define" an affiliation. If you're playing with one of them, it's assumed that you're using that affiliation as a starting point. (for 1E, I believe they're all facilities, for 2E, they include certain non-HQ missions, even events or ships for some groups). Then, it double-checks your ratios and modifies the initial assumptions based on those (so if you're only playing Fed facilities, but more than half of your personnel are non-aligned, then you're not really playing a Fed deck, you're playing Fed/NA dual affiliation; etc)

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
A very nifty system! :) But...
Maelwys wrote:
BCSWowbagger wrote:(a) I'm not reading the right block of code
You've got half of it. The facility part is somewhat obfuscated, right near the top (hidden in $fieldname, called to set $present on line 428).

Basically, there's the list of cards that "define" an affiliation. If you're playing with one of them, it's assumed that you're using that affiliation as a starting point. (for 1E, I believe they're all facilities, for 2E, they include certain non-HQ missions, even events or ships for some groups). Then,
it double-checks your ratios and modifies the initial assumptions based on those (so if you're only playing Fed facilities, but more than half of your personnel are non-aligned, then you're not really playing a Fed deck, you're playing Fed/NA dual affiliation; etc)
... it obviously doesn't modify its assumptions the other way (i.e., removing affiliations if only an outpost is used), in case of e.g. Klaestron or DS9 facilities.

Is there a reason for this? And/or would we want it changed? For now, I think I'm Neutral [Neu] in this. 8)
 -  
Community Contributor
Thanks, Maelwys! I definitely was not reading that closely enough.

@Suden: I think the most straightforward reason is, "writing removal code would be work and might mess up existing achievements." *shrug*

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
The facility issue is the big hurdle for me. I am playing an [AQ] only deck, and because of it's [1E-DQ] icon, I cannot seed or play Hirogen Outpost. I suppose I can throw one in the Q's tent, but that is wasteful, as it would only be there for the deckbuilder and not for actual play. I am not even sure if that would trigger the code as a facility since it's not a seed.

Either I need to add many more [Hir] or remove a bunch of [NA] to get the balance right, or resign to the fact that it's really a [NA] with some [Hir] splashed in.
Crossover question

I was literally just typing up this question all[…]

Danny gets the FW against Tjark - 100 - 35 Good t[…]

Back from the old days, pre-errata Visit Cochrane[…]

@VictoryIsLife FW @jadziadax8 100-0