For posting 1E deck designs for feedback from other players and members of the community.

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Do you have any minimum numbers you are looking for in a deck for the common skills? (including equipment adding skills when needed)?

I have to say that the "Broken Bow" dilemmas are tough
A Miner confrontation
Ghost of Cyrus Ramsey
Authorized Access Only
Rock People
Stand Off
Faux Pas

because of these i won't make a deck without AT LEAST 4 of each classification and skill needed to pass these dilemmas. Other than that i'm looknig for at least 2 of most other things and throwing in a dial-a-skill card or two.

I'm usually around 30 people AT LEAST in a deck to meet those requirements. I try to be realistic as well that if a game is going to last about 8 turns, if you are paying 3 free per turn you are never going to play more than about 24 + persons you download, anyway.

I ask because i'm looking at the deck that won the romulus regional (https://www.trekcc.org/1e/decklists/ind ... ckID=20593)

and I'm looking at the skill density and wondering, how did this person pass any dilemmas????????? is Isomag the key? since that basically lets you play your people "all over again"?

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Takket wrote:Do you have any minimum numbers you are looking for in a deck for the common skills? (including equipment adding skills when needed)?

A Miner confrontation
Ghost of Cyrus Ramsey
Authorized Access Only
Rock People
Stand Off
Faux Pas

because of these i won't make a deck without AT LEAST 4 of each classification and skill needed to pass these dilemmas. Other than that i'm looknig for at least 2 of most other things and throwing in a dial-a-skill card or two.

I'm usually around 30 people AT LEAST in a deck to meet those requirements. I try to be realistic as well that if a game is going to last about 8 turns, if you are paying 3 free per turn you are never going to play more than about 24 + persons you download, anyway.

I ask because i'm looking at the deck that won the romulus regional (https://www.trekcc.org/1e/decklists/ind ... ckID=20593)

and I'm looking at the skill density and wondering, how did this person pass any dilemmas????????? is Isomag the key? since that basically lets you play your people "all over again"?
That's not a Regional deck. That was a Buffalo local. Not sure how well it would translate to high level play.

By Takket
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote:
Takket wrote:Do you have any minimum numbers you are looking for in a deck for the common skills? (including equipment adding skills when needed)?

A Miner confrontation
Ghost of Cyrus Ramsey
Authorized Access Only
Rock People
Stand Off
Faux Pas

That's not a Regional deck. That was a Buffalo local. Not sure how well it would translate to high level play.
ohhhhhhhhhhhh okay. now i'm looking at the deck Honeycutt played at the actual regional and that has like 35 people in it lol
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
Armus wrote:That's not a Regional deck. That was a Buffalo local. Not sure how well it would translate to high level play.
I am! It's the deck I took third at the Romulus Regional with, and handed Robin his only loss of the day. With TNG decks, you have to play a little fast and loose with skill quotas, because the skill density is so much lower than absolutely everyone else. Most TNG play engines have only a handful of personnel worth playing, so you have two options if you make your deck bigger:
1) Run multiple copies of the useful people, which won't help you against the "3 of X classification" dilemmas.
2) Dilute your deck with bad cards, which will help against the "3 of X classification" dilemmas, and will hurt you in every other scenario.

I'd rather keep the deck tight, get the cards I want, and recycle once they're gone.

Think about it this way: one might build a deck that has the capability to beat every dilemma, but all that really matters is whether or not the deck can beat the dilemmas it faces, when it faces them. In reality, you're only going to see a small subset of available dilemmas and, with most decks, you'll only see a fraction of your deck. I'd rather face a dilemma with my whole deck at my disposal and know immediately whether I can beat it. I'm never sitting around thinking "when oh when willst I draw mine fourth Transporters, O deck!" Instead, I just switch K'chiQ to Transporters on the next attempt, or Dig to get her back if she died, or cut my losses and move on. Because people rarely go all-in on the "3 of X classification" dilemmas, the grass is likely greener somewhere.

That said, 30 cards is tighter than the deck probably needs to be: I do that not because it is the best way to play, but because it is the way I want to play.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
These were my broad targets in 2016. Varies by deck size and meta calls, and Cyrus Ramsey means more Transpo now:

Need Skill
0 Acquisition
4 Anthropology
4 Archaeology
6 Astrophysics
0 Astrophysics OR Stellar Cartography
5 Biology
0 CIVILIAN
7 Computer Skill
0 Cybernetics
5 Diplomacy
2 Empathy