For posting 1E deck designs for feedback from other players and members of the community.
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
Use this thread to discuss the decklist Deep Space Polyamory.

Robin asked me to write up this deck, and since I wrote it all I thought I might as well share it:

You have three play engines:
- Here By Invitation
- Chamber of Ministers
- Quark's Bar
-- HBI represents your biggest engine, but many of the personnel don't have a relevant site. How does that work? Well, they can also play to the U.S.S. Defiant, and you can download that first turn with Ops and Docking Ports. Trust the Prophets allows you to ignore Ops' "matching" requirement (for Fed cards like the Defiant), and We Need You Here the "draw no cards this turn.
-- Because Feds match DS9, and Ops downloads don't cost you a card draw, you're going to be downloading someone (or something, in the case of the Defiant) with Ops just about every turn (in place of your card play). That makes it sort of like a draw engine (since you're playing a card that wasn't in your hand).
-- Docking Ports is sort of a play engine, since Bajoran Freighter plays for free there.

You have three draw engines:
- Celestial Temple (downloaded by Trust the Prophets)
- Morn at Quark's Bar
- Cafe des Artistes (up to three draws)
-- Most decks want to get their draw engines all up on turn one, but since this deck's draw power way outstrips its play speed, it's not a big deal that it won't all be up and running right away.
-- Morn can't be downloaded or played for free - he will basically always be your card play the turn that you get him.
-- Available Couples: Worf and Jadzia, Odo and Kira Nerys, Kira Nerys and Bareil Antos, Odo and Lwaxana Troi (she can download him, but because you're downloading personnel into play just about every turn, you'll usually need to do so on your opponent's turn), Jake Sisko and Mardah (much cringe!), Miles O'brien and Mrs. O'brien, Benjamin Sisko and Kassidy Yates (though I never found her worth the card play - I would certainly replace her with Dukat (Things Past). Note: Rom, Julian, and Leeta are all, sadly, excluded from the orgy.

Before Turn One:
- When seeding missions, always make sure Bajor is next to the Wormhole (this is accomplished by seeding non-Bajor Bajoran System mission to one side, until you get to Bajor, then insert it on the other side of Bajor).
- Consider seeding DS9 at either Bajor or the Wormhole.
-- If it is at the Wormhole, walking restrictions are avoided, since you can move people directly into the Celestial Temple, then back out again at a site of your choice. You can also use. You can also plop an Orb icon personnel directly into the Celestial Temple without needing to staff a ship. That said, the Orb icon people I like to leave there (Opaka is first choice, Bareil second, Kira third) play for free to the Chamber. Unless I was using an Ops download to get them (not optimal since you have relatively few Ministers free-plays, so Ops downloading those personnel generally reduces the deck's through-put), I generally found I needed to staff a ship to throw them in the hole anyways.
-- If it's at Bajor, it and everyone aboard it (that is present with a Bajoran) is protected by Strategema. That's not foolproof (ie, a stack of all Fed people can still be attacked), but generally I found that protection against even casual battle was worth it.

Turn One:
- Download the Defiant with Ops (Card Play).
- Download Worf and Jadzia with Defend Homeworld.
- Free play whatever you can. Prioritize personnel who are parts of couples (you can then Ops download their other halves on later turns if necessary).
- Walk couples to the holosuite, and have them make out for fun and profit. Walk others to the Defiant (but maybe leave a Bajoran non-couple personnel in Ops if possible to block commandeering).

Turns Two Through Five:
- Draw your deck.
- Seriously, don't bother attempting until turn five. Even if someone gets an early lead, just focus on maximizing your draws and getting personnel into play. It is totally worth it to just have complete access to all the cards in your deck before you get serious about attempting.
- Use an Ops download to get Thomas Riker early on. (A) He's a Fed Command star for staffing the Defiant, which is very useful in case you don't get a freighter and need to throw people in the Hole (Temple). (B) He's basically a guarantee that you won't get stopped by Rules of Obedience. You have lots of Honor, and he'll never be the highest Int or fewest dots person - or he can work with Michael Eddington who will also never get killed by it. (C) He protects you from battle away from home with Resistance Tactics.
- Once you have 4-5 extra draws, you can start using one draw per turn for fetching your extra sites (a function of We Need You Here). If you're hurting for couples early on (unlikely but possible) and have Miles, use an early draw on Promenade Shops so you can get his wife. Not Julian, Keiko.
- Once you have Science Lab up, Paulson is pretty important to get, since the deck is a little Transporter Skill light, and Jol Yichu is everywhere.
- Don't forget to get The Beating Heart out of your Tent, it is amazing kill prevention for this deck. Orgies apparently come with significant health benefits.
- If your opponent is also running a tight deck, consider taking your foot off the gas a bit. As in my game against Charlie, it is super useful to be in charge of when exactly you empty your deck.

Turn Five Onwards:
- I usually just empty out all my draw engine people and faceplant into a GQ mission. There's not a lot that can go seriously wrong.
- Kukalaka and 9 integrity personnel means that God is never going to blow up a ship.
- I might switch Dead End for Holographic Communicator, since I lost a game to Maggie due to Emergent Life-form. That said, there's an ongoing rules discussion that maybe everyone's been playing it wrong.
- I generally avoid Bajor early on, since I don't want to get hit by a Symbalene Blood Burn. Maybe that isn't a worry, and you're better off hitting it early and getting that Edo Probe out of the way.

Other Notes:
- I strongly recommend doing some test draws. Because of the nature of the deck, test draws are entertaining because (A) optimizing draws and plays is a bit of a puzzle and (B) the Holosuite gets hilariously inappropriate.
- If you stop Jake and Mardah in the Holosuite, make sure your opponent knows it.
- I got caught with my pants down by Quantum Leap twice. My pants (Ranjen Koral) were back in the AQ, sitting safely in the Chamber - I figured that, as my only way to recycle Isomagnetic Disintegrator, I should keep him safe until I knew I needed him. Maybe bring him along to start with?
- Rom is a great shuttle conductor, since most of your other non-couple Bajorans who report to DS9 don't have a staffing icon. If you have a few options for playing someone to the Bar, make it him.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
edgeofhearing wrote:- When seeding missions, always make sure Bajor is next to the Wormhole (this is accomplished by seeding non-Bajor Bajoran System mission to one side, until you get to Bajor, then insert it on the other side of Bajor).
Why's this? 1E's region rules currently allow you to insert Bajor wherever you want into the Bajoran Region whenever you want, even if there are already Bajor Region missions on both sides of the wormhole. I don't think it's intuitive, and maybe it should change, but for now you're golden.
- Seriously, don't bother attempting until turn five. Even if someone gets an early lead, just focus on maximizing your draws and getting personnel into play. It is totally worth it to just have complete access to all the cards in your deck before you get serious about attempting.
This looks like a good HBI deck with the usual HBI strengths: high personnel quality, high access to the people you need, high draw. And then the usual weakness: you can't play cards fast enough, and end up attempting on turn four or (gulp) five, when the game is already almost over.

Have you considered sprinkling in some interference interrupts with all that excess draw to slow down your speed-solving opponent? A few Loss of Orbital Stability or Brain Drain or Docking Procedures can really grind down an opponent and buy you enough time to start playing.
Second Edition Rules Master
By Latok
 - Second Edition Rules Master
 -  
1E Australian Continental Champion 2019
2E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
BCSWowbagger wrote:
edgeofhearing wrote:- When seeding missions, always make sure Bajor is next to the Wormhole (this is accomplished by seeding non-Bajor Bajoran System mission to one side, until you get to Bajor, then insert it on the other side of Bajor).
Why's this? 1E's region rules currently allow you to insert Bajor wherever you want into the Bajoran Region whenever you want, even if there are already Bajor Region missions on both sides of the wormhole. I don't think it's intuitive, and maybe it should change, but for now you're golden.
Yeah for a long time I thought regions worked like a mini-spaceline inside of the spaceline and each new region mission had to go on to the end of the region.
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
BCSWowbagger wrote:This looks like a good HBI deck with the usual HBI strengths: high personnel quality, high access to the people you need, high draw. And then the usual weakness: you can't play cards fast enough, and end up attempting on turn four or (gulp) five, when the game is already almost over.
I wouldn't underestimate the power of being able to roll into a mission with a huge crew that has all the skills you could want. Other decks may begin attempting faster, but with incomplete crews that flounder on dilemmas. Meanwhile, if you can carefully craft your initial crew, you'll find that a lot of missions just fall in one attempt, which closes the speed gap quickly.

For example, I lost to MVB, who got out and attempting much faster, but was in a position by the end where he had to one-shot a mission or I'd solve a cleared mission for the win. Curse Tabor, and curse his resistance skill!

I'd also be reluctant to add too much to the deck in terms of stall cards - none of the personnel can go (I'm already, as usual, on a razor's edge when it comes to some dilemmas' skills), so you'd be adding cards on top of the 30 cards. Diluting the deck dilutes its reliability, which is its primary strength.

Also, that's hilarious about regions, as if they needed to be stronger.
Card Page Glitches

So, it's seeming on some sets that the cards on th[…]

Question for noob

Awesome. Thanks everyone for all the help!

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]