For posting 1E deck designs for feedback from other players and members of the community.

By RayJ (Raymond Linton)
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
I haven't played First Edition pretty much since 2E came out. I'm looking to dip back in, but I want to start with the Traditional format so it's less confusing/tedious for some friends who will be geeking out with me locally.

I'd like to come up with a handful of decks that have a little more interaction than the mostly solitaire games I remember from the 2002 era that could do well in both 2-player and 4-player formats. Right now, with OTF changes and a 15+ year gap in 1E play, I'm really just looking for any advice.

I'd kind of like a deck for each of the mainstream factions:

Federation
Romulan
Klingon
Borg
Dominion

Are there any good references for modern traditional format to help get me up to speed?
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
I will look around. Traditional is not played much, but there are a couple groups with an interest in it who may be able to offer guidance.

However, if you're looking for a gentle re-entry into the game, I can't recommend the Coming of Age TNG v2 Starters strongly enough: https://www.trekcc.org/1e/index.php?id=204

They're fully printable, packed with cards that will be familiar to you, plus a few new ones. The only really tricky one is Continuing Mission, which gives all the cards in your deck the [1E-TNG] icon (very useful) but forbids you from playing ships and personnel that don't have a TNG property logo. Continuing Mission is also a draw engine, and it downloads a play engine.

If I were returning to the game after some time away, I would absolutely start with Coming of Age instead of with the chaotic, cheesy mess that was late-stage Traditional. Lots of new and returning players cut their teeth on TNG Block.

I'll still try and find some Traditional resources for you!

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
BCSWowbagger wrote:I will look around. Traditional is not played much, but there are a couple groups with an interest in it who may be able to offer guidance.

However, if you're looking for a gentle re-entry into the game, I can't recommend the Coming of Age TNG v2 Starters strongly enough: https://www.trekcc.org/1e/index.php?id=204

They're fully printable, packed with cards that will be familiar to you, plus a few new ones. The only really tricky one is Continuing Mission, which gives all the cards in your deck the [1E-TNG] icon (very useful) but forbids you from playing ships and personnel that don't have a TNG property logo. Continuing Mission is also a draw engine, and it downloads a play engine.

If I were returning to the game after some time away, I would absolutely start with Coming of Age instead of with the chaotic, cheesy mess that was late-stage Traditional. Lots of new and returning players cut their teeth on TNG Block.

I'll still try and find some Traditional resources for you!
Truth. TNG block demonstrated to me that 1e can be fun again and OTF got me playing at the tournament level again. The last 5 years have been a 1e Renaissance for me.
:thumbsup: 8) :thumbsup:

By RayJ (Raymond Linton)
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
I'll pull some of those down and take a look. Armus, I had heard you might be moving out my way. Is that happening still?

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
RayJ wrote:I'll pull some of those down and take a look. Armus, I had heard you might be moving out my way. Is that happening still?
Yup. I'm down the street from you now. Been here since March (hence the new Avatar)! :D

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Our play group exclusively play Traditional. Casual, too, so far. And Open. We use the rules and erata snapshot that existed at Decipher's end. If I can help with anything, please let me know.

As for Traditional decks -- if you want simple, non-competitive decks with some bogus mechanics and a lot of superfluous cards, I can hook you up. :P They are not on-par with the META of the Decipher era, even; but fun for me.

The only deck that I have that might suit your needs if you do want to go in the META direction is my Borg deck.
First Edition Art Manager
By jjh (Johnny Holeva)
 - First Edition Art Manager
 -  
Like James and Brian, I too would recommend the Coming of Age TNG Starters. Just about perfect to get back into 1E.

By RayJ (Raymond Linton)
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
SudenKapala wrote:Our play group exclusively play Traditional. Casual, too, so far. And Open. We use the rules and erata snapshot that existed at Decipher's end. If I can help with anything, please let me know.

As for Traditional decks -- if you want simple, non-competitive decks with some bogus mechanics and a lot of superfluous cards, I can hook you up. :P They are not on-par with the META of the Decipher era, even; but fun for me.

The only deck that I have that might suit your needs if you do want to go in the META direction is my Borg deck.
Those sound cool. I don't need anything meta-defining for 1E. If I want something focused that direction, that's what 2E is for :)

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
I forgot to say -- if I can help you in any Traditional way (such as with my Borg deck list, which contains extensive notes), please shoot me a PM or let me know! :)

Most people here lobby for incorporation of Virtual cards and modern rules -- and, admittedly, for very good reasons, of course. However, I would be thrilled to see some more Traditional action, as well. 8) It's a valid form of using these cards... :wink:

By RayJ (Raymond Linton)
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Borg has been my favorite faction across both Editions. I'd love to see what you have brewed up.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
RayJ wrote:Borg has been my favorite faction across both Editions. I'd love to see what you have brewed up.
OK. Wilco.
But first, 2 questions to the general populace:

(1) If I post/give a private link to a deck, will the recipient be able to change it?

(2) If I make a deck public, will I be able to change it afterwards? (It would really look silly to the recipient(s), if I muck up the strategy notes or some such, or delete the deck -- which I often do.) Would it be locked? (That would seem prudent for deck lists which have been used in tournaments!)

I also -- on an unrelated side note -- liked for a while now, to make public some of my silly, but perhaps someday-useful-to-somebody, "Impulse Speed" training decks; but afraid that if, in a year or so, I decide to change them or muck them up somehow (having forgotten that they're public), the alterations will be visible to all.

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
SudenKapala wrote:
RayJ wrote:Borg has been my favorite faction across both Editions. I'd love to see what you have brewed up.
OK. Wilco.
But first, 2 questions to the general populace:

(1) If I post/give a private link to a deck, will the recipient be able to change it?

(2) If I make a deck public, will I be able to change it afterwards? (It would really look silly to the recipient(s), if I muck up the strategy notes or some such, or delete the deck -- which I often do.) Would it be locked? (That would seem prudent for deck lists which have been used in tournaments!)

I also -- on an unrelated side note -- liked for a while now, to make public some of my silly, but perhaps someday-useful-to-somebody, "Impulse Speed" training decks; but afraid that if, in a year or so, I decide to change them or muck them up somehow (having forgotten that they're public), the alterations will be visible to all.

Let me answer these in reverse order:

(2) A deck's status as public or private simply determines whether or not a deck will appear when someone looks up a card that happens to be in your deck. If the deck is public, it will. If it is private, it will not. You can change the deck's content and/or public/private status at will and it's updated in real time.

(1) Since you are sharing a private deck by link, all you are doing is allowing someone to view your deck that would not be able to stumble upon it by searching cards. The deck is still yours and only you can edit it.

A point of note, once someone accesses your deck either by public or private link, they can select Copy Deck and have their own version of the deck that they now own and can change it (including making it public), but it will not in any way alter your copy. So if you are good with the community at large seeing your deck ideas and trying their own spin on it, make it public. If you trust your colleague with your private deck, by all means send them the private link.

Personally all my completed decks are public and my in progress decks are private. If I were to be a tournament player, my tourney deck would of course be private also.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
1. The recipient will only be able to view your deck. They can copy it to their account and change it then.

2. You can edit a public deck as long as you haven’t attached it to a tournament.

Sent through Subspace from the Starship Enterprise

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Thanks, both. Between your answers, everything is covered. :thumbsup:

(But, follow-up: so, adding it in a tourney will actually lock that specific deck list against own editing?)

Ray, I'll send you a PM with my Traditional [Bor] deck (for starters).

That is intended. A cure dilemma ALWAYS has its […]

Likely I should be able to attend. Just need the d[…]

Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during […]

Thanks all. I have my handle as my name, I didn&rs[…]