For posting 1E deck designs for feedback from other players and members of the community.

- Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Hello! I’ve been tasked with making a deck based on the Enterprise & TOS crews only. Any advice on the best way to go about this or do you have any sample decks? I haven’t found many, and while I am OK with using virtual cards I’m trying to not use too many. Thank you!

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
nyyankees72 wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:36 pm Hello! I’ve been tasked with making a deck based on the Enterprise & TOS crews only. Any advice on the best way to go about this or do you have any sample decks? I haven’t found many, and while I am OK with using virtual cards I’m trying to not use too many. Thank you!
[OS] [Fed] with virtual cards vs. without is night and day.

If you're going pure Decipher era (or mostly Decipher era), the key cards you want are Sherman's Peak and Crossover. Seed both of them and you can play any [OS] [Fed] or [OS] [MQ] [Fed] there and get one for free each turn with Deep Space Station K-7.

You'll need a time travel mechanism, and for that you may have to go virtual and use either Temporal Conduit or Protect the Timeline - I definitely recommend the latter in this deck, as it gives you another free play opportunity.

I created a basic TOS deck a few years ago that got featured in this article. You can probably drop most of the virtual cards and still make it work (feel free to drop the Tribble stuff too if that's not your thing).

Now if you want to go all-in with Virtual, I'd recommend checking out The Cage expansion that was released 2 years ago. It completely changed the way [OS] [Fed] decks are built.

Hopefully that helps. Good luck! :cheersL:
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Arguably, you can get away with a viable all-Decipher [OS] build using just two virtual cards: The Final Frontier and Five-Year Mission (although I think it'd be a shame to miss out on To Boldly Go, Recreation Room, and Risk Is Our Business).

[SF] is unplayable without virtual cards. Totally unplayable. They were never even intended to be playable without a bunch of physical Second Edition Backwards Compatible cards -- the Enterprise Collection was kind of a Decipher cash grab to get 1E players to buy a bunch of 2E cards. Even the rules from Enterprise Collection were a hack, and we have since cancelled those rules and made Enterprise cards work "correctly": they play to the past, not the present.

Even the first virtual set devoted to [SF] (Straight And Steady) didn't quite make the deck work, although I tried the build several times anyway. They still needed help from Broken Bow (the later virtual set) and Protect the Timeline (the virtual card)

- Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Thank you both! Very fair points - Virtual it is.

You both made points on using Virtual cards, so my final question is any ‘must-haves’ in your decks before I commence?

- Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:57 pm
nyyankees72 wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:36 pm Hello! I’ve been tasked with making a deck based on the Enterprise & TOS crews only. Any advice on the best way to go about this or do you have any sample decks? I haven’t found many, and while I am OK with using virtual cards I’m trying to not use too many. Thank you!
[OS] [Fed] with virtual cards vs. without is night and day.

If you're going pure Decipher era (or mostly Decipher era), the key cards you want are Sherman's Peak and Crossover. Seed both of them and you can play any [OS] [Fed] or [OS] [MQ] [Fed] there and get one for free each turn with Deep Space Station K-7.

You'll need a time travel mechanism, and for that you may have to go virtual and use either Temporal Conduit or Protect the Timeline - I definitely recommend the latter in this deck, as it gives you another free play opportunity.

I created a basic TOS deck a few years ago that got featured in this article. You can probably drop most of the virtual cards and still make it work (feel free to drop the Tribble stuff too if that's not your thing).

Now if you want to go all-in with Virtual, I'd recommend checking out The Cage expansion that was released 2 years ago. It completely changed the way [OS] [Fed] decks are built.

Hopefully that helps. Good luck! :cheersL:
Thanks! Any chance you can clarify how to use the Tribble stuff?
 -  
Community Contributor
nyyankees72 wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:17 pm Thank you both! Very fair points - Virtual it is.

You both made points on using Virtual cards, so my final question is any ‘must-haves’ in your decks before I commence?
In the Fed deck: I think The Final Frontier is really indispensable to someone starting out. It's designed to be a competitive play engine while also being unbelievably simple to use, and I think it succeeds at that. (It's also boring, compared to the weird complications of Sherman's Peak.)

[SF] decks you can kinda go two routes: either seed 22nd-Century San Francisco + Temporal Conduit + Protect the Timeline OR seed MACO Training Camp + Temporal Conduit + Protect the Timeline and stock a copy of Military Assault Command Operations (or two, in case of Fire Sculptor). The second path leads to a straightforward MACO deck that focuses heavily on MACOs and plays pretty well. The first path gives you a broader access to the full panoply of [22] tools, but is a lot more complex to navigate. I suggest looking at some of the decklists that use 22nd-Century San Francisco for more tips and tricks.

Oh, and [22] players will always want to use Finally Ready To Swim.

(And remember that all personnel from the Enterprise Collection have received errata giving them the [22] icon.)

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Don't have much time, skimmed the thread. So, may have missed it, but could Guardian of forever not also help with time travel for a (Traditional) [Fed] [OS] deck? (I.e., instead of other time travel angles?) Why was it not included in the suggestions -- is there something wrong with that synergy?
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
I’m guessing it hasn’t been mentioned because it has to seed on Gateway, which is a stealable mission that’s attempable by everyone. It’s got pretty easy requirements, too.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
jadziadax8 wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:16 am I’m guessing it hasn’t been mentioned because it has to seed on Gateway, which is a stealable mission that’s attempable by everyone. It’s got pretty easy requirements, too.
... That was it, yes. I remember, now, having gone through this thought process before.
I'm a bit rusty ATM, sorry! But that'll get better (a bit... :mrgreen: ) once I hit my Trek-CCG-binge period again... :lol:
 -  
Community Contributor
I don't mind Gateway's stealability so much as its crazy tight limitations on time travel. You must first send a team through from the present, must return with them, there's not going to be an Outpost for you on the return leg, the whole process takes two turns... nightmare!

What Guardian was good at was drawing cards, but the setup was still a lot.
Vulcan Lander and its ability

What constrains this strategy is the number of c[…]

Ignoring point losses & Timing

I would be interested in the answer to this as wel[…]

Greetings 'trek fans! As discussed in our Februar[…]

1EFQ: Game of two halves

First: Rescue Captives is OP, there should[…]