For posting 1E deck designs for feedback from other players and members of the community.

By boromirofborg (Trek Barnes)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
Use this thread to discuss the decklist Decipher Archives: The REAL Non-Aligned Deck - May 1997.

This deck might just represent what I love about this game. It's utterly insane, requires a bit of luck to even work, let alone win, takes advantage of a few rules quirks...

The fact that the 5th paragraph of the strategy starts with "Once your outpost is in place, play can proceed a bit more normally. " is a big clue that this is Something Different.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Ah yes, the old "Devidian Door an Android into space and build an outpost" trick. That IS a classic!

Thanks for digging these decks out of mothballs. This takes me back to my *very* early days of competitive Trek where all sorts of nonsense was bound to happen! :cheersL:

By boromirofborg (Trek Barnes)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
patrick wrote:Ok, so you couldn't seed a Federation Outpost without playing Federation, but the Neutral Outpost had no such restriction, did it? Why not just seed that then?
Because (I believe) the rules at the time limited you to one outpost per affiliation your deck played. Because your deck had 0 affiliations, you were allowed to seed 0 outposts.
:thumbsup:

At the time you had to seed exactly one outpost per affiliation played, no more and no less. And non-aligned did not count as an affiliation back then (it was treated as the absence of any affiliation).

It was a cool trick when Dave Bowling included Garak in one of his Klingon decks so he could seed a second Neutral outpost... otherwise he would have been stuck with just one for the Klingons.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
haplot wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:48 am Just wanted to double check, does the non-aligned still not count as an affiliation with regards to this deck?

Been wanting to do a non aligned deck, but the whole 'not an affiliation' is kinda off putting for me.

Thanks in advance
[NA] Non-Aligned now counts as a "regular" affiliation. This rule changed on April 25th, 2000. Because doing it the other way was weird and increasingly unsustainable.

[NA] Non-Aligned is still compatible with all other affiliations, but you can also just use them by themselves and there's no special rules about it anymore. (Also, since it's a regular affiliation now, you need at least one [NA] personnel aboard to staff a [NA] ship.)

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
1E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
There are also [NA] outposts as well, such as Husnock Outpost for instance that allows you to seed the Husnock Ship which is a strong ship but it's slow. All of them have some quirks, though.

By patrick (Patrick Weijers)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Professor Scott wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:57 am There are also [NA] outposts as well, such as Husnock Outpost for instance that allows you to seed the Husnock Ship which is a strong ship but it's slow. All of them have some quirks, though.
That reminds me about an idea my brother had for his non-aligned deck. Is this valid?
- Seed Husnock Outpost
- Seed Husnock Ship at the Husnock Outpost
- Seed Holoprogram: Noah's Mountain Retreat on the Husnock Ship
- Use your card play to download Secret Agent Julian Bashir
- Download '45 Dom Perignon
- Discard Husnock Ship to download Tsunkatse Ship

Are Husnock Ship and Tsunkatse ship the same class? Or is "UNKNOWN CLASS" not a class?
Also, what happens to the Holoprogram? Is that discarded in the "replace"? Or does it transfer over to the Tsunkatse Ship? (And does this matter, since the Tsunkatse ship doesn't have a holodeck?)

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
1E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
To my knowledge, Unknown Class is not an actual class so this won't work. Assuming it would, the holoprogram would be discarded since there is no holodeck on the Tsunkatse ship.

This, however, does work:

Ferengi Trading Post seeds. D'Kora Marauder seeds at FTP.

Turn 1: Flip Defend Homeworld and DL Morta to FTP, and move on to Maurader then DL Prepare Assault Teams to DL '45 Dom Perignon to replace D'Kora Marauder with Kurdon. Morta ends up on the Kurdon now.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Professor Scott wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:02 am To my knowledge, Unknown Class is not an actual class so this won't work.
This is correct:
Rulebook: Class wrote:"Unknown Class" is not a distinct class. Ships like Fesarius and Bothan Vessel, which are "Unknown Class," are always considered to be different classes.

When a ship's class box states that it is an "advanced" or "modified" version of another class, then that ship is treated as a member of both classes. For example, I.K.C. Kla'Diyus's class ("Modified B'Rel Class") identifies it as a B'Rel-class ship for the purposes of Duj Saq.
https://www.trekcc.org/op/1e_rulebook/#CHARACTERISTICS

Rest of Keii's answer is also correct but doesn't need extra rules quotes. :)
boromirofborg wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:50 pm Use this thread to discuss the decklist Decipher Archives: The REAL Non-Aligned Deck - May 1997.

This deck might just represent what I love about this game. It's utterly insane, requires a bit of luck to even work, let alone win, takes advantage of a few rules quirks...

The fact that the 5th paragraph of the strategy starts with "Once your outpost is in place, play can proceed a bit more normally. " is a big clue that this is Something Different.
This is the insanity I love, smooth consistency blows you out of the water strats.

this made me happy.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
I must say there's a part of me that misses things like "Devidian Door an android into space and build an outpost" ... I understand the reasons why it's not a thing, and there's a lot of broken nonsense I definitely DON'T miss, but yeah... the non-broken insanity that was possible in the PAQ era was a special flavor of fun and became an unfortunate casualty of the balancing and cleanup efforts over the years.
Question for noob

That's the question. The Isolinear Rods downloads […]

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]

Hey all, we are running a "Warum-up" fo[…]