For posting 1E deck designs for feedback from other players and members of the community.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
boromirofborg wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:40 am Use this thread to discuss the decklist Decipher Archives: Process Ore.

Some of my favorite STCCG memories include running battles to flip nots back and forth.

I was always sad that they never made nor-overlays like the amazing assimilation ones.
Is the "Johnny" in question referring to Johnny Ohlsson? I played that guy twice at 2000 Worlds, and while I won both games, the dude turned those games into chess matches where one mistake would sink you.

I don't think I've seen or heard from him since that World Championships, but the dude could game. Like me he was a finalist who played in through day 1. You don't make that trek without some serious skill.

By boromirofborg (Trek Barnes)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
Armus wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:34 pm Is the "Johnny" in question referring to Johnny Ohlsson? I played that guy twice at 2000 Worlds, and while I won both games, the dude turned those games into chess matches where one mistake would sink you.
Yes, I forgot to add that to the list. Fixing now.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
SudenKapala wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:00 pm
Armus wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:34 pm Like me he was a finalist who played in through day 1.
What does this mean? (I mean, in general. Unfamiliar phrase to me.)
In 1999 and 2000 everybody who won a Regional/Open/Continental got a bye into the 2nd day of the World Championship, while those of us who didn't had to play in through day 1.

Day 1 in 1999 was an 6 round Gauntlet with over 60 players with the *Top Two* advancing. I went 5-1 and finished 5th overall and missed the cut. In 2000 it was an 8 round gauntlet with the top 32 advancing, again with over 60 players, and I went 6-2 and finished in the top 5.

The reward? *Another* 8 round gauntlet with the best players from day 1 *PLUS* all the top dogs who had pre-qualified, so close to another 60 players, only this time only the top 12 made it through to the finals. I went 6-2 with a mod win to finish 8th overall and make the final.

The final was another 4 rounds of Swiss with the top 2 facing off in a final confrontation. I went 4-0 in day 3, defeating Eric Johnfauno in round 4, but he still finished 3-1 with 3 full wins and high differential, so he was 2nd overall.

In the final confrontation, I made one bad Tactical decision and failed to take advantage of a narrow window to try to win, and it ended up costing me, as Eric won that game to take home the 2000 world title.

Like me, Johnny and one or two others (Greg Dabkowski for one, there may have been one more that I'm not remembering) ran that gauntlet from day 1 to the finals. That takes a level of both skill and endurance that doesn't compare to anything today. It was a different time and a whole different level.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:36 pm
SudenKapala wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:00 pm
Armus wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:34 pm Like me he was a finalist who played in through day 1.
What does this mean? (I mean, in general. Unfamiliar phrase to me.)
In 1999 and 2000 everybody who won a Regional/Open/Continental got a bye into the 2nd day of the World Championship, while those of us who didn't had to play in through day 1.
So, "playing in", in general, means "actually playing, as opposed to receiving a bye based on past merits"? Thanks.
Sorry for taking a detour in the topic. Great work still, @boromirofborg ! :cheersL:
(I must admit I don't have time to read all the decks, but I fully appreciate the efforts and support for vintage/trad players. :thumbsup: )
1EFQ: Game of two halves

First: Rescue Captives is OP, there should[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation