For posting deck designs for feedback from other players and members of the community.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
I went to teach myself Ferengi and saw that there’s no beginner deck for them. So I gave a go at trying to create one in the same spirit as the others.

(Yes, I know that Ferengi mechanics are probably not for beginners so think of this as a deck for beginners at Ferengi rather than a Ferengi deck for beginners at the game)

Thoughts? Did I miss anything important from a basic mechanics standpoint?

https://www.trekcc.org/decklists/index ... ckID=47284
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
abargar7510 wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:44 pm I went to teach myself Ferengi and saw that there’s no beginner deck for them. So I gave a go at trying to create one in the same spirit as the others.

(Yes, I know that Ferengi mechanics are probably not for beginners so think of this as a deck for beginners at Ferengi rather than a Ferengi deck for beginners at the game)

Thoughts? Did I miss anything important from a basic mechanics standpoint?

https://www.trekcc.org/decklists/index ... ckID=47284
If you're interested in learning how traditional Ferengi decks function, probably best to try netdecking something like John's 2018 World Championship-winning deck and giving it a spin. Looks like your deck has a number of pieces of that deck, so that's probably the direction you were aiming in anyways, but I think you'll find the deck works better at the larger size - and being able to use Par Lenor/141 3x per game instead of only once makes a big difference. There's enough downloading in the deck that you can even make some tweaks to it and it'll still generally run like it is supposed to.

That said, if you're interested in trying to work up a Ferengi Beginner deck, this deck is a good start. For the other beginner decks, I have a few hidden rules to follow: 7x of each mission skill for the three main missions, no more than one copy of unique cards, minimal "when you play" effects, and 5 ships (no beginner should ever experience being ship screwed unless they did it to themselves by altering the deck).

I can't always check all those boxes, so I tried to list them in order of importance - for example, the Maquis beginner deck only has four ships and Cal Hudson, who is himself a "when you play" personnel. I try to be the most rigid about the 7x mission skills rule, since it is also pretty important to me to build the deck so that the newbie can just faceplant into the first mission they see with the random people they've played and still have a shot at solving it.

Anyways, this deck is close! Ferengi are hard because there's no major tournament winning deck that can be pruned to 35 cards, still keep its flavor, and meet the beginner deck criteria. If you want to take a swing at revamping the deck to meet the "hidden" criteria, I'll build it and add it to the beginner deck testing queue. (Note: the missions in Heroes and Demons may help shrink the mission skill requirements enough to make the 7x requirements easier, that was part of the idea behind them.)

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Thanks for the great reply and insights! I took a stab at modifying to meet the hidden criteria. I was able to hit the 7x main mission skills, no duplicates of uniques, and 5 ships. I think I was able to minimize the “when you play” to the greatest extent possible with this kind of deck, though I don’t think it’s possible to get rid of them entirely. I do wonder how easy it will be to trigger Rule #141 with only one Quark and Par Lenor but that would need to figured out through playtesting. And maybe adding Gaila helps to offset that a little.

https://www.trekcc.org/decklists/index ... ckID=47315
(Note: the missions in Heroes and Demons may help shrink the mission skill requirements enough to make the 7x requirements easier, that was part of the idea behind them.)
I didn’t end up going that route but it did inspire me to start working on “Challenge-style” deck for the Ferengi!

Greetings 'trek fans! As discussed in our Februar[…]

1EFQ: Game of two halves

First: Rescue Captives is OP, there should[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]