For posting deck designs for feedback from other players and members of the community.

-  
Okay so I bought these boxes of cards a while back, one was a 2E base set box that had 8 starters in it and a bunch of boosters, the other was the same thing but with the Call to Arms expansion. I haven't really played much and I don't have anyone to play with around here, but I was looking to play online and was wondering if the following deck would be at all competitive:

https://www.trekcc.org/decklists/index. ... ckID=11348

It seems like the engagement cards might be a bad idea, but other than that any feedback would be nice. I'm more leaning towards learning with casual games and having fun so I'm hoping not to run into really good decks.

By Naetor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
This looks a lot like the default DS9 starter with a handful of additional cards. The draw deck actually isn't too bad. Cheap personnel will always be useful. And you've already correctly pointed out some cards you don't really need.

If you are just trying to learn with a friend, I think this deck is fine for that purpose. If you are planning on being a little competitive, I think you'd really struggle with the dilemma pile.

Instead of starting with the default starters, I'd suggest starting with the virtual starters. They are more powerful, a little more fun, and everything can be printed.

-  
Since I haven't really had much experience with the game I decided the best way to go would be to modify a starter with some of the better cards that I had gotten from the boosters, but keep similar counts of each type of card in the deck. I also wanted to play some of the cards that I thought were kind of cool(a few of the rare main characters from DS9, USS Defiant). I suppose if I learn the game I'll be in a better position to incorporate some of the cards I like into a deck. Thanks for the feedback!

By Ajnaran
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I'd suggest not worrying about battle until you're further into the game; when and if you decide to battle you'll probably realize Cry Havoc and Render Assistance won't help you much (they'll just bog your deck down).

As far as helping make your deck competitive I'd recommend just paying attention to attributes and skills on both personnel and missions alike. See which ways you can go about doing things the easiest way.

For useful competitive cards (virtual and non-virtual), I think there was a post this summer (sorry I can't look it up right now) about the frequency of some of the top dilemmas in the game and also maybe other cards too---I can't remember, maybe you or someone can find/link it

...but you can always go to the online deck builder, click on the 'view public decks' link at the top of the page, and then click on the 'view top decks' link. There you'll start to see some of what's currently competitive these days!

Have fun... :D
Second Edition Creative Manager
By Triumph (Jonathan)
 - Second Edition Creative Manager
 -  
Adventurer
Ajnaran wrote:For useful competitive cards (virtual and non-virtual), I think there was a post this summer (sorry I can't look it up right now) about the frequency of some of the top dilemmas in the game and also maybe other cards too---I can't remember, maybe you or someone can find/link it.
https://www.trekcc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=13712

It was such an awesome post that I bookmarked it. :D

The poster collected data on the dilemmas used by winning decks throughout this past years competitive tournament season. It gives you a fantastic overview of what the worldwide Trek-playing community collectively found to be some of the best dilemmas to use. It also gives you a good idea about what sort of dilemmas you might face, so that you can think about how to overcome them.

-  
Thanks for the advice guys. I think I might just try the DS9 starter and go from there. What's the best way to get an online game, especially for a new player like myself? Unfortunately while I have a bunch of decks, I'm in rural Minnesota and don't have anyone to play with.

By Foreman
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
revengeska wrote:Thanks for the advice guys. I think I might just try the DS9 starter and go from there. What's the best way to get an online game, especially for a new player like myself? Unfortunately while I have a bunch of decks, I'm in rural Minnesota and don't have anyone to play with.
Wow, if you are willing to drive a little bit, you probably couldn't have a better place to get some games in. The cities have a relatively large playgroup. As for playing online, you should try popping into the chat room and asking the people in there about lackey.

-  
Foreman: Thanks for the info. I'm about an hour and a half north of the cities but unfortunately I can't really travel down there at this time. However I may be moving down there so that's a good thing to know. I've gone into the chat room multiple times, but unfortunately each time I entered it there was no one in there. I downloaded Lackey and updated it and everything so I think I'm largely ready to go on that end, other than learning how to use it to play.

Naetor: Thanks for the link, I registered and am just waiting for confirmation. I'll keep that guy LORE in mind if I have any questions. I'm interested to see what's available in the area for this game.

@Rancour@gmx.de @Gul Dakar Florian gets the F[…]

An unlimited deck size might be one, from the orig[…]

Deck Design Strategy

And just to add to the overall discussion, coming […]

MN 2024 Gatherings

28th it is. 1E Event is up: https://www.trekcc.or[…]