For posting deck designs for feedback from other players and members of the community.

By Foxfire
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
This is my first try at building a deck for 2E so any advice orsuch would be welcome. To ease myself into the game I'm only using cards from the Second Edition base set.

Edited to remove the first draft deck since it bears no resemblance to the deck I'm building now.
Last edited by Foxfire on Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ambassador
 - Ambassador
 -  
If you put this into the online deck builder and post the link here we'll be able to interpret the statistics the site generates for you. Also it will provide links to the text and picture of each card. Things I can tell you without knowing the details of what each card does (from a tablet it isn't easy to type each card name into the card search engine):

You want a tight skill set, is usually possible to find 4 non-HQ missions that require a total of 5 different skills. Try get maybe 5x every mission skill, and at least 3x of the others, the possible exceptions of the rarest skills, e.g. no bajoran has telepathy, only 2 have intelligence. The mission skill plan might work slightly differently if you're going for a 2-mission win (for instance 2x just like old times + 2x 35 point mission).

Also most decks people were playing when the base set first came out tended to be small solvers, 40 card draw deck max. I don't have it now but someone will hopefully show up with the link torecent events where players are restricted to decks only from the first set. You'll be able to copy decks from there. It's disappointing to hear but just copying card for card is a good way to learn and there's still a lot of in game decision making to do even if you do copy.

By Foxfire
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Thank you for the advice. I decided to rebuild the deck as a straightforward Bajoran Resistance deck and ditched the only using SE cards idea. The new deck is here: https://www.trekcc.org/decklists/index. ... ckID=25287

By the way I was unsure either or not to go with lots of different Dilemma's or 3 each of a few different ones (since I used to play first edition so this new fangled 'random dilemmas' idea is a little hard to get used to).

Edited with mark III deck adress.
Last edited by Foxfire on Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

By anguss (Andrey Gusev)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
I have no experience playing Bajoran Resistance deck, but in my common 2E experience, I think you have too low personnel/non personnel ratio. 14 personnel cards in 38 card deck means that you will be struggling to find and play people to solve your missions or fighting others. And if your opponent will play a kill pile, then you will have some hard time to recover after your very first attempt.

I would try to take less events, less ships, more personnel. Try to make your first 3-4-5 turns - your setup should be ready at 4th or 5th (at most) turn in order to be competitive.
Second Edition Rules Master
By Latok
 - Second Edition Rules Master
 -  
1E Australian Continental Champion 2019
2E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
On the dilemma side, it's best to have at least 50% of the pile as Dual and then 25% for Planet and 25% for Space, more than 50% Dual is even better. As for deciding what dilemmas to duplicate, filters (stop/remove 1,2,3 people) are good to have in multiple with less walls (stop everyone), a 2:1 ratio is pretty good to start. Then for simplicity start off by just playing 1-2 filters and then a wall at each mission if you draw them.
Second Edition Creative Manager
By Triumph (Jonathan)
 - Second Edition Creative Manager
 -  
Adventurer
Welcome to 2E!

Here is the page for a relatively recent (well, a few months ago) tournament that allowed only cards from 2E Premiere. None of them were Bajoran decks, it appears, but you might still find find some useful lessons. Notice how they built dilemma piles, which dilemmas and how many of each they used. Look at examples of common skills and attributes among missions, and how many instances of each mission skill the decks had. Et cetera.

Regarding your question about dilemmas: most of the time, you probably want just one of any given dilemma in your dilemma pile. The reason is that you can only play one of any given dilemma in a particular attempt. That means if you draw, say, two copies of the same dilemma when the opponent is attempting a mission, one of those is a totally useless dead draw. You want to avoid that. Now, there are times when you'll duplicates of dilemmas in your pile, but but in general you probably don't want tons of duplicates. If you look at the decklists on the tournament I linked, you'll notice they use mostly use 1 of each dilemma in their pile, with just a few dilemmas that they have more than one copy of (especially good dual dilemmas).

Now looking at your deck:

Another thing you want for your dilemmas is more dual dilemmas than planet or space dilemmas (as with duplicate dilemmas, there may be occasional exceptions to this principle, but in general you should have significantly more dual than planet or space). I consider around 60% dual dilemmas to be about the minimum that I prefer. The reason is similar to the danger of playing duplicates of dilemmas: if you draw planet while the opponent is attempting space (or vice versa), that's a useless, dead draw. There a great planet and space dilemmas, but you've got to be very choosy in which you include.

Your mission selection contains a mix of Strength and Cunning missions. Generally, you want to use missions that all have the same attribute (e.g. all cunning, or all strength, or all integrity). That makes it easier for you to focus on playing all personnel who are solid in that attribute. You've six mission skills spread among your missions, which is a decent focus, though it's possible to get lower.

You've got 9 ships in a 38 card deck. That's a bit much. I usually aim to have 1 out of every 8 cards be a ship or card that downloads a ship; I'm not as sure the exact "correct" ship-to-other-stuff ratio, but that's a guideline I've found useful. In most decks, you don't play more than or two ships in a game, and any ships you draw after that are dead draws. That means you can probably safely dump a few of your ship cards.

Your skill matrix: if you plan to attempt one mission that requires skill X, I like to try to have 5-6 of that skill at a minimum in my deck. For each additional mission that also requires that skill, or if a mission requires 2 levels of that skill, increase the numbers of instances of the skill that you run. So, for illustration, using your current mission selection, I'd aim to have 8 Leadership, 10 Navigation (some many mission that need 2 of it!), 7 Officer, 7 Security, 6 Engineer, and 6 Science. Something else that might increase the amount of a mission skill to play is if the skill is if you always plan to attempt to attempt a certain mission first - you want to make sure you draw into the necessary skills quickly. Overall, your deck should definitely have more personnel.

I hope this is helpful!

By Foxfire
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Thanks for the advice. I'm working on a second deck (probably TNG Federation since I just noticed the ability on Jean-Luc Picard; Genial Captain) and I might try playing a game or two on Lackey (solitaire, so I don't look like a complete idiot playing against folks who have a clue) before making more changes to the decks.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
Foxfire wrote:Thanks for the advice. I'm working on a second deck (probably TNG Federation since I just noticed the ability on Jean-Luc Picard; Genial Captain) and I might try playing a game or two on Lackey (solitaire, so I don't look like a complete idiot playing against folks who have a clue) before making more changes to the decks.
Put your location in your profile. Who knows, you may live near a flesh and blood playgroup? Most players are happy to do demos and give cards to new players.

By Naetor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
You generally should have over half your deck be personnel. Some expert players can get away with percentages in the 50s-60s, but new players should look for around a 2/3rds ratio. Of the remaining, 1/2 to 1/3 should be ships and the rest can be verbs (events and interrupts). Equipment are only necessary in the right decks. This gives you a chance to go out and be able to attempt missions at the rate of most of your opponents, and you'll be able to set up any schitick -- battle or otherwise -- along the way. All decks need to be able to solve missions to win the game. And personnel are the only way to do that.

As for dilemmas, I'd suggest copying someone else's that they've posted while you begin to learn how they work and how to build your own. Dilemma play is usually the #1 differentiator between average and good players.

By Foxfire
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
After playing a few games and getting used to the rules and everything (and the non-half a hour set up to play :D :thumbsup: 8) I decided to go back to the basic, Second Edition set cards for now since I realised I would be missing good cards for the decks by trying to build decks from a pool of thousands of cards. I'll put the new decks online as and when I finishe them and post the addresses here.
Ambassador
 - Ambassador
 -  
Foxfire wrote:After playing a few games and getting used to the rules and everything (and the non-half a hour set up to play :D :thumbsup: 8) I decided to go back to the basic, Second Edition set cards for now since I realised I would be missing good cards for the decks by trying to build decks from a pool of thousands of cards. I'll put the new decks online as and when I finishe them and post the addresses here.
you know you can print any card, right? But I also start a deck in nebula and then test many times in lackey before printing.

By Foxfire
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
I've been playing all the games offline using Lackeyccg and I've realised the game is a almost completely different animal to First Edition. Everything seems to work more fluidly than 1E. Anyway, I've built three decks and played them against each other:
Honor Klingons: https://www.trekcc.org/decklists/index. ... ckID=25334
Demilitarized Zone Cardies: https://www.trekcc.org/decklists/index. ... ckID=25334
Romulan Intelligence: https://www.trekcc.org/decklists/index. ... ckID=25337

I guess the plan is to add three decks per set until I'm up to date.

By Foxfire
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
I'm getting used to the game set by set since I won't risk playing other than solitaire games until I'm a lot closer to up to date. Until then, I'll build three decks (I'm working on a Maquis deck, unsurprisingly using the cards from Engage and two other decks) from each set then rebuild the older decks with the new cards from that set. It's going to take a while, there's twenty nine more sets to deal with but by then I should have an idea of what's going on.
Second Edition Creative Manager
By Triumph (Jonathan)
 - Second Edition Creative Manager
 -  
Adventurer
This is actually kind of a cool idea - an interesting way to immerse yourself in the game. It'll get a little faster as you go along, since the CC-era expansions (sets 15-30) are generally significantly smaller than the sets Decipher put out (sets 1-14). You'll have less to digest.
Question for noob

To his location (but anywhere at that location - p[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]

Hey all, we are running a "Warum-up" fo[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the f[…]