For posting deck designs for feedback from other players and members of the community.
Ambassador
 - Ambassador
 -  
Use this thread to discuss the decklist Ultra-lite Cardassian Demo Deck v0.1.

I'm building new demo decks that (of course) I will share with everyone else. Why do we need new demo decks?

A full length 2e game is too long for a new player, far longer than is necessary to give someone the gist of what the game is about. You can't expect a commitment of an hour from someone walking past at a convention, especially not anyone from the pokemon generation.

The Decipher-era preconstructed decks were a good starting point, but straight solvers won't cut it either. The concept of racing against instead of destroying your opponent is unintuitive in a CCG market dominated by magic clones. IMO we need to demonstrate interaction possibilities in game #1.

We're also not a profit driven corporate that has to keep some stars back as chase cards. The whole bridge crew can appear, it's not going to be Picard plus red shirts.

This is the first in a series of ultra-lite (smaller than legal) demo decks intended to be paired up against each other for a quick result under slipstream win conditions. It's an ongoing project with the following aims:

1. An experience that ends in a quick result
2. Communicate the basics: draw/play people and ships, send them to missions, attempt, face dilemmas, solve
3. Communicate the ups and downs of interaction vs. solver (you got my guys but I still managed to solve!)
4. Demonstrate the flavour of different affiliations
5. Tell a trek story

Here's how I propose doing it:

1. Cut a few corners:

- smaller than legal decks (e.g. 20 cards, 1 HQ, 1 space, 1 planet)

- slipstream win conditions

- Dilemmas are an especially unusual concept to non-Decipher gamers. We can get away with only using the simplest by tailoring to the opposing deck. What a waste of demo brain space to have to tell someone, "ok, ignore that dilemma, it does nothing against me". Moral Choice goes in this one because it's simple and I plan to pair it against TNG. OTOH, Timescape has no place in a demo deck.

- Use cards with as little text as possible. Trap is Spring is so strong for Cardassians, but it's too many lines of text for game 1.

- script the game and the card pool. No kill piles = no tacking = 1 million fewer lines of text to read.

2. The beginner gets the simplest possible solver (not this deck), preferably with star power. I'll build a TNG solver of similar size.

3. Interaction beyond dilemmas is important but too complicated to expect a beginner to use the cards effectively. The person giving the demo will use an interaction deck with simple synergies (e.g. this deck) to harass the demo-ee but ideally lose against a superior solver.

Ok, your thoughts? Anyone want to join me in the project by building 2e-lite decks for other affiliations? Ideally the mechanics should have some resemblance to ones that can do well in real tournaments. Jem'Hadar space combat is probably broken in this "format", but normal size solvers just run past them IRL. OTOH Klingons killing your dudes can work at a decent level.

Greetings 'trek fans! As discussed in our Februar[…]

1EFQ: Game of two halves

First: Rescue Captives is OP, there should[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]