For posting deck designs for feedback from other players and members of the community.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
@Romulus 8472 Tsunkatse Chula!

https://www.trekcc.org/decklists/index. ... 2b7d9dd188

This deck started out as basically an attempt to see if the romulans actually had the skill set to try and shoot for an 8472 win. Well they do....and not only that but they have all the skills on the stooges. Add to that the reality that nobody and I mean nobody spends POINTS! like the romulans and you have some silly things you can do.

One of the considerations I went through with the deck was trying to figure out if there was any reason to attempt to do a skill lockout on top of everything else. An early version of the deck tried and it was soon discovered to be kinda POINTS!-less because you either hold them off and win via 8472 or you don't. Worse, convincing an opponent NOT to attempt missions is not always the best thing to do with 8472. Its true that if you lock them out, NW passage has all the time then to wind down the ticking time bomb BUT in all reality, skill lockouts are just too difficult to achieve and your POINTS!! are better spent on things like Power shift boosting, endangered, or even wrecking your opponents dilemma pile with My patience has limits. Just blow 10 POINTS! you don't care about and rip out your opponents Chula: game, Clown:Guillotine or An Issue of Trust.

That's where this deck ended up ultimately, spending its POINTS! on power shift, endangered, etc. It would have been nice to include Target of Opportunity, but by the time you actually had the points to steal people it was largely a waste of time and the person you got was mostly going to be inconsequential. That being said, the rest of the Tsunkatse package was kept in. It was determined in testing that the Tsunkatse events were very good at triggering GUYS, scoring POINTS! in addition to normal POINTS! shenanigans which then of course buys you additional pushes of the Power Shift button. Push your stoogie skills through then hit plaid on the power shift button and solve. It gets even more ridiculous when you get to the Terrasphere and can blow an entire missions worth of POINTS!! on getting it solved quickly.

The more traditional side of the deck is the dilemma pile using the chula dilemmas. This pile was used by one of my local players in his Voyager 8472 deck. Since it seemed to work for him, no need to reinvent the wheel. The cheap chula stops allow you to stuff 8472 cards in the core while being a little more reliable at being effective than trying get hard walls work. Its a lot more newer player friendly both in them playing with it and them playing against it.

So if you are looking for a fun but not super cut throat deck for a local tournament - Worlds side challenge for example - then look no further than @Romulan 8472 Tsunkatse Chula.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
pschrader wrote:Is there any particular reason you didn't include Combined Attack to help grease the 8472 wheel?

I've attempted to play with the card and found that its a dead draw early game as I don't want to spend the 2 counters + the third counter to replace it early game. Mid game I usually find myself managing how I'm going to push my advantage and then by the time I get to the late game, NW passage should have the clock set and maybe at that point I would want to play it.

So I don't want it as a three of for first issue, I could potentially argue for 2 copies but I will have games I draw a card I don't want to play, at 1 copy its almost a "why bother" at that point as the slot could be used for something better like an Endangered that is more generally useful.

By pschrader
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
2E American National Runner-Up 2023
Hoss-Drone wrote:
pschrader wrote:Is there any particular reason you didn't include Combined Attack to help grease the 8472 wheel?

I've attempted to play with the card and found that its a dead draw early game as I don't want to spend the 2 counters + the third counter to replace it early game. Mid game I usually find myself managing how I'm going to push my advantage and then by the time I get to the late game, NW passage should have the clock set and maybe at that point I would want to play it.

So I don't want it as a three of for first issue, I could potentially argue for 2 copies but I will have games I draw a card I don't want to play, at 1 copy its almost a "why bother" at that point as the slot could be used for something better like an Endangered that is more generally useful.
Thanks. I've always played 8472 with TOS so it's refreshing to see what looks like another tournament-viable 8472 deck with a different flavor. I might have to give this a go sometime.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
pschrader wrote:
Thanks. I've always played 8472 with TOS so it's refreshing to see what looks like another tournament-viable 8472 deck with a different flavor. I might have to give this a go sometime.

Feel free to take it and run with it. I don't think its refined yet
and adding Taul is at a minimum is probably something I would do in the next iteration. If you feel that adding the combined strikes would make it better in your build then by all means.

The only point of this deck is an exercise in innovation in the lab. 8472 win is imho a very flexible starting point. One of my players has been working on Voyager 8472 for awhile and is something I'm working on improving upon myself too.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
I just want to say that this thread makes me very happy. As a charter member of the 8472 fan club, it's great to see other high level players (and even aspiring high level players) giving consideration to all of the possibilities.

:thumbsup: 8)

By Danny (Daniel Giddings)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
2E British National Runner-Up 2021
I assume Starfleet 8472's been done to death?

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Danny wrote:I assume Starfleet 8472's been done to death?
At this point I've seen so little 8472 that I wouldn't consider anything "done to death". I suppose you could call TOS/8472 a thing at this point but the archetype in general hasn't had enough of an impact to be considered played out on any level IMO.

By Danny (Daniel Giddings)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
2E British National Runner-Up 2021
simonalia wrote:It was the best time to seems and come across the village Legal Steroids
Thanks spambot, but I think Romulans are pretty good at the moment, without the use of legal steroids.

Mod Edit [EHCCGPP]: Edited out quoted link, as it was spam.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation

It started in mid-2013. At that time it became sta[…]